Thread: Do I need glasses

OptiBoard Novice

Do I need glasses

Hello.

I have never had glasses before and I just recently had an eye exam and was given a Rx.

It is:

OD:
    S +.50
    C -.75
    A 10

S +.50
    C -1.00
    A 177

I seem to have a lot of eyestrain comming from my left eye. My question is, do you think getting eyelasses will help? Is my astigamtism bad enough to give me much eyestrain and headaches?

Any info whould be great.

Thanks!:)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do you think you went to the eye doctor? You had eye strain. Why did you have eye strain? Because you needed glasses. Why did the doctor precribe glasses? Because you had astigmatism and the glasses would relieve the problem. Do you need glasses? Only if you want to stop having eye strain.

Any more stupid questions?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by tim311
    Hello.

I have never had glasses before and I just recently had an eye exam and was given a Rx.

It is:

OD:
    S +.50
    C -.75
    A 10

S +.50
    C -1.00
    A 177

I seem to have a lot of eyestrain comming from my left eye. My question is, do you think getting eyelasses will help? Is my astigamtism bad enough to give me much eyestrain and headaches?

Any info whould be great.

Thanks!:)
    The person who can best answer you is the person who tested your sight
    he/she is a trained professional,trust them and the advice you have been given.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

OptiBoard Novice
    You dont have to be a jerk about it. My doctor said that I could get by without glasses, but gave me a Rx because it may help. I also wanted to know how much astigmatism I actually have. I feel I see very well, and I pull many all nighters in college and I was trying to find out if my eye strain was more from lack of sleep, lots of reading, and computer work(I am a CSCI major). Isnt my Rx pretty minor?

Dont bother posting if you are just going to be an A**hole. I just wanted to get some advice other than where I had a 5 minute exam.
    :(
    Last edited by tim311; 07-10-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chip, that was not very nice. You generally do not resort to this kind of comment. Having a bad day?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Tim:

Get the glasses, they'll help

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tim,

I would recommend getting the glasses. I prescribe for mild Rx's just like yours all the time and it usually takes care of the eyestrain/headache problem. If the glasses don't take care of the problem, then there is something other than your mild Rx causing the problem and it would be best to see a reputable O.D. who will spend more than 5 minutes with you.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Try it out.........................

Get your glasses.............you will see clearer................no strain and you will realize the additional visual comfort they will give you..

Dont let the optician sell you any fancy stuff from frames to lenses. The prescription calls for simple single vision stock lenses.

Get the basics, maybe even have them tinted as sunglasses if you are not so sure about the whole bit. Then if it works out good get yourself another pair for normal daily use.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree...get the glasses, yu'll be surprised at how much better you will see, especially at night. If you're not sure, ask the doctor to show you the difference without the glasses and then with the new rx. That should answer the question.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve: Yes I was having a bad day and I think we are getting a lot of these type questions that should never be asked. Would the patient if diagnosed as having an operable brain tumor go to the neurosurgeon's imaging people and ask: "Do I really need this or is the doctor just trying to make a buck?" \

Now I do admit that I know very few precribers that one can fully trust anymore due to the "evolution" that has taken place in the last 40 years in our field. But here we have a patient with: 1) A complaint. 2) A diagnosis by his doctor. 3) A prescription for a cure or alleviation. 4) A question stating I have the problem, but should I bother to try the cure? And he asks the low man on the totem pole for the final word.

If you cut yourself and feel it warrants medical attention, do you ask the nurse : The doctor says I need stitches. Do you think I should let him sew it up or will it heal without them? Of course most cuts will heal of themselves but this doesn't mean that they should be allowed to do so, or that standard sterile procedure and anti-biotic should not be used.

And I constantly hear patient's asking: How much astigmatism do I have? How much stronger is this than my old glasses? How strong is my Rx?

What difference does it make? When I tell them the numbers or even try to express same as a percentage they have no comprehension of the meaning of the numbers.

So why are we bothered with such questions?

Now I do realize that with the above Rx you would not prescribe this for a child as he would not wear it. And chances are that this patient, even if he gets relief from fatigue, probably will not wear his glasses constantly, but he will probably see some improvement when he does wear them.

Chip (Mean as ever and no apologizing)
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-11-2005 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Get Type the same size after spell check.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never one to beat around the bush Chip and you're right. That's why you're so loved here!!!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post Thread Closed: Seeking Medical Advice

Chip may have been grumpy about it all but he's right. OptiBoard cannot give out medical advice ... these are questions for your local eye doctor.

Thread Information