Thread: Liberal bias in media

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Liberal bias in media

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4724317

Here's a nice little chilling story. I particularly like how Republican Senator Hagel--who is given a perfect "conservative" score by 2 staunchly conservative groups--is designated "liberal" because he disagreed with some administration policies on the war. This is of course the RWPM POV: what is conservative and right? (in the opposite of wrong sense)--why whatever the administration does. It is rather astonishing--even to someone like me who realizes this--to see it so boldly writ. And yet Tomlinson will piously claim to be unbiased. Wow.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I have also noticed that the admin tends to have a tendancy to turn on legislators who disagree with them. Of course, this occurs in every admin, but it nevertheless bothers me any time members of my own party are criticized simply for disagreeing. Ironically, I would think the President would be all over a charlatan like SenMcCain, but I haven't seen much ire directed in his direction from the admin.

Anyway, I note this is an article appearing on NPR.org- something to keep in perspective when considering the content. Its also interesting that the ONLY thing that disturbs you about this article is the branding of Sen. Hagel as being less than conservative. As someone who listens and has contributed to NPR (both voluntarily and by compunction as a taxpayer) it annoys me that a publically funded venue manages to take a course that is decidedly generally biased (not based upon this study- but upon my own listening).

Of course, as you object, you will piously claim that NPR is "unbiased" (wow)! Heck, if nothing else, the station should be sued for false advertising- although I suppose "ALL Things Considered" doesn't necessarily claim to consider all thing from all perspectives.

I don't want to gripe too severely about NPR- I do listen to it and receive value- which is why I support it. I find it a shame that they don't at least make more of an effort to be more moderate in their coverage- since they receive public funding. Personally, I wish it would just keep out of the political commentary arena, and play classical music and live coverage of political events. Just give me the ability to listen to my government in action- keep the commentary to yourself (which avoids the bias problem, because you're not injecting the opinions into the event). Since this won't happen, I'll just exercize my right to turn the dial when the commentary begins...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    I have also noticed that the admin tends to have a tendancy to turn on legislators who disagree with them. Of course, this occurs in every admin, but it nevertheless bothers me any time members of my own party are criticized simply for disagreeing. Ironically, I would think the President would be all over a charlatan like SenMcCain, but I haven't seen much ire directed in his direction from the admin.

Anyway, I note this is an article appearing on NPR.org- something to keep in perspective when considering the content. Its also interesting that the ONLY thing that disturbs you about this article is the branding of Sen. Hagel as being less than conservative. As someone who listens and has contributed to NPR (both voluntarily and by compunction as a taxpayer) it annoys me that a publically funded venue manages to take a course that is decidedly generally biased (not based upon this study- but upon my own listening).

Of course, as you object, you will piously claim that NPR is "unbiased" (wow)! Heck, if nothing else, the station should be sued for false advertising- although I suppose "ALL Things Considered" doesn't necessarily claim to consider all thing from all perspectives.

I don't want to gripe too severely about NPR- I do listen to it and receive value- which is why I support it. I find it a shame that they don't at least make more of an effort to be more moderate in their coverage- since they receive public funding. Personally, I wish it would just keep out of the political commentary arena, and play classical music and live coverage of political events. Just give me the ability to listen to my government in action- keep the commentary to yourself (which avoids the bias problem, because you're not injecting the opinions into the event). Since this won't happen, I'll just exercize my right to turn the dial when the commentary begins...
    I don't know why the admin doesn't go after McCain either, seems odd when they are quick to chastise people who are far more in step with them. And the Hagel thing is not the only thing that bothers me about the article, but it is the most egregious from my POV--the point being that it seems the "survey" is being shaped to conform to the preconceived notion that NPR very disproportionately highlights more liberal than conservative guests. The data doesn't support that notion?--no problemo, define labels to suit your premise.

I admit NPR has a liberal bias--moderately so, not violently--which is what the data based on a less creative interpretation shows; so why does the administration/RWPM have to resort to chicanary to "prove" their more extreme hypothesis? I guess if you've been spinning for so long after a while you don't know how else to operate. Good grief!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some things are liberal only to right-wingers.
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information