Thread: Can you explain why?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused Can you explain why?

You can go to one shop, be given a price for lenses without AR, and they add it on. You go to another one and they say the AR comes on the lens and is included in the price, which is lower than the first shop. What is up with that?

Is any body honest anymore?

Also I would like to know which PALs (those of you that wear them) are wearing and why you like or dislike them?

Murralis in SA TX

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do not see it as being an honesty thing.

Some store use a less expensive AR coating. Some stores charge more, which they have the right to do, some stores charge less. It is your job as a consumer to make sure that you get the best value that you can.

As for progressive lenses, as long as they are fit properly then they will do a great job.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Apples to apples

Please note that all AR is not the same. The hard coatings used before the AR is applied are not all of the same quality and durability.

The other reason one is quoted one way and the other is included has to do with the marketing by the retailer.

I have a friend who lives a great distance away from me and he always gets attracted to two pairs for $99 or someother gimmick and he says he usually leaves with $400 to $500 charged on his charge card. This is an individual who knows sales and marketing backwards and forwards but knows very little about eyewear. He says he will not go into one of those expensive shops? Yet he pays 3 to 4 times the advertised price. This is no different to the auto adds that always sound like they are selling you a car for cost or less.

I do not have enough detail on the actual products you are comparing to answer with any more information. Remember the store selling you the product or service should make a reasonable profit or they won't be in business.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Make sure that when you are comparing prices, it is for the identical product and get it in writing.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Rising Star
    I dont let the gimmics suck me in. I got two pairs of glasses a couple months back for $69! Buy one, get one free special promotion at eyeglasses world. The saleslady was discussing high index, AR coating, tints and all the gimics and dad just said thanks but those glasses are just an experment, he wont be using them for long and she was like oh ok. I will ask my parents to drive me for another eyetest in like 4-6 months from now. I dont see any reason glasses should cost $400 or even $100. Presbyopia? Just take your glasses off to read or get two pairs, the 2nd pair being weaker than the first like I did for the computer. You can even order them off the Internet for even cheaper, I did but I dont know how good itll be. Hope the lenses dont have scratches or the frames all bent.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Myoptic, you're surely on your way to probably ticking off every Optician on this board. You need to study opticianary a little bit more before you start handing out advice on subject.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Cheap..........Cheap........Cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Myoptic33
    I dont see any reason glasses should cost $400 or even $100. Presbyopia? Just take your glasses off to read or get two pairs, the 2nd pair being weaker than the first like I did for the computer.
    I would classify your attitude as "Fleamarket related". Have your dad drive you to the nearest fleamarket and choose one of those finished glasses closest to you Rx and you probably can have them for $ 1.00 (exuse me for mentioning a price)

I hope the time you need some medical care like an operation you will find yourself the cheapest surgeon in town and live with the results.

Occupation
    I dont let the gimmics suck me in. I got two pairs of glasses a couple months back for $69! Buy one, get one free special promotion at eyeglasses world. The saleslady was discussing high index, AR coating, tints and all the gimics and dad just said thanks but those glasses are just an experment, he wont be using them for long and she was like oh ok. I will ask my parents to drive me for another eyetest in like 4-6 months from now. I dont see any reason glasses should cost $400 or even $100. Presbyopia? Just take your glasses off to read or get two pairs, the 2nd pair being weaker than the first like I did for the computer. You can even order them off the Internet for even cheaper, I did but I dont know how good itll be. Hope the lenses dont have scratches or the frames all bent.
    Didn't you have a post that you were having all of those troubles with those glasses? Something about that you could not see.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can buy a coffee table from Walmart for $30.00 and I can buy a table from an expensive furniture store for over a $1,000. They are both tables that you can put your coffee cup on, but they aren't really comparable. Same with cars. I can buy a car for $1,000. or I can spend over $50,000. Both cars but not the same thing. The same goes for eyeglasses. For some people a inexpensive basic pair is fine, some people want more.

Not everyone can take their glasses off to read, and two pairs can be a real hassle. I like having progressives, even though I CAN take mine off to read(I am about a -2.25).

For the first poster inexpensive AR coats tend not to hold up as well as expensive ones. They scratch easier and can craze.

I think there are many execellent progressives out there. People like different ones, they aren't all alike. I have worn and liked Varilux Panamic, Varilux Comfort, Pentex mini, SolaOne, and Hoya Wide. If you want an expensive but decent progressive lots of people seem to like the Ovation.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I would classify your attitude as "Fleamarket related". Have your dad drive you to the nearest fleamarket and choose one of those finished glasses closest to you Rx and you probably can have them for $ 1.00 (exuse me for mentioning a price)

I hope the time you need some medical care like an operation you will find yourself the cheapest surgeon in town and live with the results.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hee hee Hee hee.

Rising Star
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    Myoptic, you're surely on your way to probably ticking off every Optician on this board. You need to study opticianary a little bit more before you start handing out advice on subject.

I apologize, but all I was giving was my opinion on glasses pricing. Some people disagree and believe the most expensive pair with all the extra features is the way to go, others are on a tight budget and can live with a little extra thickness and no AR coating.

"I would classify your attitude as "Fleamarket related". Have your dad drive you to the nearest fleamarket and choose one of those finished glasses closest to you Rx and you probably can have them for $ 1.00 (exuse me for mentioning a price)"

we arent that cheap and we got a proper pair for $69 at eyeglasses world. My pescription is only -5 and my lenses are quite thin without the high index. I also dont need bifocals, would rather just take em off to read or use weaker glasses to read. My dad however DOES need progressive since hes farsighted with astigmistim, in his case its not about money but neccessarity.

"The same goes for eyeglasses. For some people a inexpensive basic pair is fine, some people want more."

exactly. Some people get mad when you mention cheap glasses but not everyone needs $500 glasses, some are on a budget as well.

"Not everyone can take their glasses off to read, and two pairs can be a real hassle. I like having progressives, even though I CAN take mine off to read(I am about a -2.25)."

I understand. In your case progressives are a convinence, especially if you read something then look up to talk to someone then read some more. Of course you could also take them off for long periods of reading.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do take off my glasses when I am just reading, but I do like the convinence of not having to every time I want to look at something close.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I dont let the gimmics suck me in. I got two pairs of glasses a couple months back for $69! Buy one, get one free special promotion at eyeglasses world. The saleslady was discussing high index, AR coating, tints and all the gimics and dad just said thanks but those glasses are just an experment
    Since you like throwing expressions around, here is a definition of
    gimmick a far cry from a solution to a problem, which AR, Hi-Index, and PALS are.

I also got a good chuckle over the first line in your post, how are the eye exercises going anyways?

I dont let the gimmics suck me in. I got two pairs of glasses a couple months back for $69!
    Those two statements seem to contradict each other.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem myoptic is that you weren't using budget as your reasoning for purchasing inexpensive glasses. It may be what you want, but don't assume that will work for everyone especially when you're not qualified to give that kind of advice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Exactly.....

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Don't you realize.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Haven't you guys realized that this poster is pulling your legs and gets all of going.

Kid on holiday's trying his fun by getting the optiboard members all exited with crazy optical talk.

:D :D :D :D

Rising Star
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    The problem myoptic is that you weren't using budget as your reasoning for purchasing inexpensive glasses. It may be what you want, but don't assume that will work for everyone especially when you're not qualified to give that kind of advice.

Of course I know, if you read my post above, I already explained why my dad needs progressives. However for some, inexpensive glasses without any of the bells and whistles may work just fine, it depends on the person's perference and most important, his vision. The topic of this tread was discussing AR but can also relate to other additions such as high index and progressive.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Blue Jumper Apples to apples and Optician to Optician

You can compare apples to apples and Optician to Optician and they will not be the same. You all are dedicated to your profession. You can tell that by the fact you are on this board and the way you seek knowledge. Believe me your colleagues out there are not the same. They are giving your profession a bad name, like car salespersons. I did call and get prices for theDefinity lens. I called the company to find where I could buy them in San Antonio, they told me the lens comes with AR and they recommended not having it removed, as it would diminish the crispness of vision thru the lens.

When I called the shops, a person gave me one price ($330) and I asked what that included, he said everything except the drill ($20) for the three piece. The other shop a person gave me the price ($340) and said I must add $60 for AR and ($20) more for drilling. I asked if the AR did not come on the lens because am told it did. The person told me, “They used to at one time but not anymore” They were both Opticians, at least they said they
    were.:)
    They both tried to tell me they had better lenses. The last time I gop glasses I was sold a pair of Panamic big bucks only to find out they were Comforts. Now I have to learn to read lens symbols.
    Murralis in SA, TX

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by murralis
    You can compare apples to apples and Optician to Optician and they will not be the same. You all are dedicated to your profession. You can tell that by the fact you are on this board and the way you seek knowledge. Believe me your colleagues out there are not the same. They are giving your profession a bad name, like car salespersons. I did call and get prices for theDefinity lens. I called the company to find where I could buy them in San Antonio, they told me the lens comes with AR and they recommended not having it removed, as it would diminish the crispness of vision thru the lens.

When I called the shops, a person gave me one price ($330) and I asked what that included, he said everything except the drill ($20) for the three piece. The other shop a person gave me the price ($340) and said I must add $60 for AR and ($20) more for drilling. I asked if the AR did not come on the lens because am told it did. The person told me, “They used to at one time but not anymore” They were both Opticians, at least they said they
    were.:)
    They both tried to tell me they had better lenses. The last time I gop glasses I was sold a pair of Panamic big bucks only to find out they were Comforts. Now I have to learn to read lens symbols.
    Murralis in SA, TX
    Sometimes you pay more for service, selection, warranties, ect. Sometimes you just pay more.

Prices will vary. Some feel that to make XXX off of the deal is fair and some might need to make a little more. It is capitalism and is very fair.

I know for certain that my prices are some of the more expensive in town, but I know for a fact that I have the best warranty, service, do the best fittings, and have the best selection. So I charge a little more for spending a lot more time with the patient. I charge a little more for giving a much better warranty. I charge a little more for having the best selection in town with the best location.

Things vary. Maybe one place pays more in rent than the other. Maybe one place has more staff than the other (so they can serve you better). Then there is the case that one just feels like making a little more than the other.

This is why as a consumer it is your duty to find the best value that you can. Total Value = What you expect - what you are given. It is your duty to find that out for yourself. Sometimes service does not mean more and sometimes it does.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by murralis
    You can go to one shop, be given a price for lenses without AR, and they add it on. You go to another one and they say the AR comes on the lens and is included in the price, which is lower than the first shop. What is up with that?

Is any body honest anymore?

Also I would like to know which PALs (those of you that wear them) are wearing and why you like or dislike them?

Murralis in SA TX
    It's probably the same A/R. A/R labs offer different prices to customers based on volume. Find the one with the best unlimited replacement warranty. Then take them back often for LENS REPLACEMENT. The storekeepers get them free and all they have to do is reorder the lenses. As for the progressive, they are pretty much the same. Keep in mind that if the storekeeper uses a name that is well known to you, the more well known, the more expensive the lenses will be.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are many progressive lens styles aailable out there. Yes you can get dirt cheap progressives and you can get very expensive ones. There is a big difference from earlier styles ti the more latest state of the art lenses. The older ones cost less to your optician. the more expensive ones cost more to your practioner.

Apples to Apples not Apples to Oranges. Chains can negotiate and get lower pricing for many product so can I, but as a private practioner in a state of the art facility I would rather update to aspheric designs; wider corridors, etc. We specialize in difficult Rx's as we are an ophthalmolgical based facility. Wealso have to match a design to individuals from all walks of life and age.

You need to understand the optics and refraction principles with individuals with a variey of Intra Ocular Lensese (IOL's), Refracive surgery techniques and lasik. Some of the most difficult encountered tod date are bifocal IOL' s such as the Array Lens; mono-vision IOL individuals.
    When it comes to Apples to Apples, apply this principle daily. I bought furniture like this 10 years ago and suits tht I wear. Bottom line their performance has exceeded my expectations. Every job leaving our offices should be the same. Explain the FAB's and you'll have a patient who commits to compliance. I always intro how I have worn AR and take care of it. I have worn AR since 1990 and Mirror Coatings.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all wish there were one pair of glasses that did everything for everyone. Yea, in a perfect world. There's going to be people that need several different pairs of glasses to see everything and some that only need one. One is not better than the other. You cannot put a price on vision, whether it's 10.00 or 500.00. Whatever works...works.

Thread Information