Thread: Costco optical pricing

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Costco optical pricing

What do you guys think about this company as an optical retailer? From what I have seen, they pretty much offer the lowest prices on contacts, but you have to buy them in bundles. In terms of their lens prices, their going rates are very inexpensive. But do any of you guys know of the actual quality of their product. I also know they only use one progressive for everybody in different materials. I don't know about you guys, but that is just ludacris to me.. I've also heard that the customer service they offer there is pretty horrible as well. That patients don't even really have a place to sit down, and that its just a counter where you pick a frame and the opticians churn their customers out in assembly line fashion. Tell me what you guys think

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandclaur
    I also know they only use one progressive for everybody in different materials. I don't know about you guys, but that is just ludacris to me..
    I think this sums up the "costco mentality" on anything they sell. They don't offer the best selection of any products in their warehouse (optical or non-optical) - it's rather slim pickin's !

I believe that in non-licensed states, they expect you to have ABO & NCLE (if I'm not mistaken). And, a few years back, Consumer Reports gave them an excellent overall rating (if I remember correctly).

Karen

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've worked for both PLC and Costco, and Costco is by far the better company, both for the employee as well as the consumer (actually, they are a 'member' at Costco).

Obviously I can't speak for every store, let alone what happens in other states, but member service is absolutely number one. Point of fact, member service can sometimes go too far, but that is another discussion.

As with any larger retailer or wholesaler, you will often get the impression of impersonal treatment (heck, when your OD is pumping 'em thru every 10- 15 miunutes, even the 'clinical' aspect loses its personal touch). I'd be looking at the management team if that is the case. I spent the better part of a third of my career at Costco, and have nothing but good things to say from the consumer view.

I recall that Consumer Reports ranked Costco as the number one optical for the last few years (not counting regional chains) in a row, but I'd have to check. Regardless, to be ranked 1 or 2 by CR is quite something, especially for a 'no frills' company like Costco...

At least in Canada, they provide the best wages, benefits, etc. of any chain. they do this to ensure their employees are content, which translates to to a happy consumer.
    Shwing

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Cosco near me sells the Ovation lens except for for polerized sunglasses. I think they use the Image for that. The Ovation lens is a good one that should work for 90% of people and glasses. I can fit a little lower with the Ellipse and Hoya Cd. They sell the lens very cheap, I guess they buy them by the thousands and can get them very inexpensively.

For COSTCO it is simply a numbers game.
    Lens Broker
    - We pay ca$h for your excess or unwanted soft contact lens inventory.
    - We can also partner with you on soft contact lens manufacturer special promotions.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    The Cosco near me sells the Ovation lens except for for polerized sunglasses. I think they use the Image for that. The Ovation lens is a good one that should work for 90% of people and glasses. I can fit a little lower with the Ellipse and Hoya Cd. They sell the lens very cheap, I guess they buy them by the thousands and can get them very inexpensively.
    Just an FYI, but both Maui Jim and Oakley use the Image as their PAL design.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Bad address email on file
    Roland, you're wrong on a couple of points. Costco provides good service to its customers. There is a place to sit - a specially designed dispensing counter. Not fancy, but it does the job. As for using only one progressive, not true. Costco follows a smart strategy of offering "category choices" without unnecessary brand choices. For example, if you want shampoo or soap or a toaster or a flashlight they have it. Not 45 different brands like a supermarket, maybe just one brand at a lower price.

Same with their progressive lenses. They have hard designs, soft designs and medium designs. You really don't need 10 different brands of hard design progressives.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    In Canada they sell all 3 lenses you mentioned above. Ovation, Ellipse and Hoya Cd............

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    jason, from what i've known, the Costco's here in san diego only offer the ovation lens for their progressives. But I guess I shouldn't infer their customer service based on a couple disgruntled customer's.. I've also heard that many Costco' optical staff have had great reviews as well

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have ordered pals from Oakley for pts and I rcvd a panamic.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Correct.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Same with their progressive lenses. They have hard designs, soft designs and medium designs. You really don't need 10 different brands of hard design progressives.
    Totally correct...............................

Costco will shop among the suppliers and choose the ones that gives them the best deal.

Actually the retail customer in general does not know or care which brand it is, as long as it does the job.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    I have ordered pals from Oakley for pts and I rcvd a panamic.
    You are correct, I should have specified they use Image for high wrap frames, and for all polarized.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information