Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenscrafters new return policy

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lenscrafters new return policy

I am sure most of you have seen the new Lenscrafter's ads telling people they can return their glasses if they don't like them.

What do you think of this? I wonder how many people are actually returning their glasses?

I have had 2 patients in the past month want to return their glasses! This has almost never happened before. Both were long term patients and they just didn't like them! One was a woman that went from a drill mount to a full darker thin metal frame. She looked great(and younger) in her new glassses but came in the NEXT day and wanted to return them. She didn't even want to give herself a chance to get used to them. Both of these patients had expensive progressives with AR, also.

We changed them, but not happily. We did it to make long term patients happy. Anyone else having this happen? I can't help but wonder if it is related to the new Lenscrafter's ad.
    Last edited by Happylady; 07-01-2005 at 08:38 AM.

That is the most stupid policy that I know of.......but I can tell you that it is not a new policy at LC.....they have always had the 30 day money back gaurantee.....I don't understand the logic.....if you buy a new pair of socks, wear them for a week and then try to return them, the store would probably laugh at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I am sure most of you have seen the new Lenscrafter's ads telling people they can return their glasses if they don't like them.

What do you think of this? I wonder how many people are actually returning their glasses?

I have had 2 patients in the past month want to return their glasses! This has almost never happened before. Both were long term patients and they just didn't like them! One was a woman that went from a drill mount to a full darker thin metal frame. She looked great(and younger) in her new glassses but came in the NEXT day and wanted to return them. She didn't even want to give herself a chance to get used to them. Both of these patients had expensive progressives with AR, also.

We changed them, but not happily. We did it to make long term patients happy. Anyone else having this happen? I can't help but wonder if it is related to the new Lenscrafter's ad.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The bad news is that buyers remorse is a very real fact of life. The good news is that is statistically predictable. I guarantee you that Lenscrafters can tell you to within a half percent, how many buyers out a thousand will return glasses. If you begin the excersise knowing that 4 out a thousand (hypothetical number) will return glasses, BUT advertising the return policy will bring in 2 thousand new customers, why not bite the bullet and sacrifice 8 pair of glasses. Its not rocket science.Buyer's remorse isn't going to go away.........Bully for them to take advantage, and turn a minus into a plus.Its a brillient strategy.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

I agree that it is a brilliant way to get people in the door......I just would not be able to bring myself to offer such a thing to my patients......
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    The bad news is that buyers remorse is a very real fact of life. The good news is that is statistically predictable. I guarantee you that Lenscrafters can tell you to within a half percent, how many buyers out a thousand will return glasses. If you begin the excersise knowing that 4 out a thousand (hypothetical number) will return glasses, BUT advertising the return policy will bring in 2 thousand new customers, why not bite the bullet and sacrifice 8 pair of glasses. Its not rocket science.Buyer's remorse isn't going to go away.........Bully for them to take advantage, and turn a minus into a plus.Its a brillient strategy.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We have a 30 day return period on the frame, no return on cut lenses but when they choose a new frame they get 50% off a new set of lenses. It's fair for us and the consumer.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That's why

Quote Originally Posted by Personalizedoptics
    I agree that it is a brilliant way to get people in the door......I just would not be able to bring myself to offer such a thing to my patients......
    That's why Lenscrafters is where they are, and why you are where you are. That is not meant as a put down. Different strokes for different folks.
    Lord Byron

So, where is Lens Crafters? Retail giants like Lens Crafters only have a 20% market share in the optical industry, while the other 80% belongs to "people like me" in the independant sector......
    That's why Lenscrafters is where they are, and why you are where you are. That is not meant as a put down. Different strokes for different folks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, in the pecking order......they're at the top. They weren't always giants you know, they started out with one store just like we did. I am not saying bigger is better, I am just saying they got where they are by innovative management. They made themselves stand apart by doing something different than everyone else.

If the reason you are in practice is to make money, and someone just told you a way could make more of it, why would say something like ".I just would not be able to bring myself to offer such a thing to my patients......" I am mystified!
    Lord Byron

Well, they certainly make more money than any other optical company, but I would contend that they are competing with all of the independants,not the other way around. The whole reason they make these kinds of promises is so that they can compete with "people like me". So; when I see them advertising a policy like this that they have always had, to me it say's that their volume must be down and some measures have to be taken to get people in. Just remember they can't take a lot of the insurances that we can, and with the way things are going with insurance plans in this industry (almost everyone has one) they have a reason to be on edge a little. Their most recent purchase of Cole National is an indication of them recognizing this fact....but Cole vision is a piece of crap as insurace plans go.....I have a feeling that they are feeling the burning sting of competition as VSP becomes more popular with companies providing vision coverage to their employees as well as the providers participating with the different insurance companies.
    Well, in the pecking order......they're at the top. They weren't always giants you know, they started out with one store just like we did. I am not saying bigger is better, I am just saying they got where they are by innovative management. They made themselves stand apart by doing something different than everyone else.

If the reason you are in practice is to make money, and someone just told you a way could make more of it, why would say something like ".I just would not be able to bring myself to offer such a thing to my patients......" I am mystified!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bad news! The largest retailer in the opthalmic industry (U.S.) is Wally-Mart.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Not for long. Just keep watching out for the ever expanding Specsavers empire. As for returns, many non-tols turn out to be buyer's remorse when you read between the lines. Probably makes good business sense to budget for them.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

You should check your facts.......Luxottica (who owns LC) is definately the largest of the large.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I could have sworn in terms of $ of ophthalmic sales LC was #1.

AA

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    We have a 30 day return period on the frame, no return on cut lenses but when they choose a new frame they get 50% off a new set of lenses. It's fair for us and the consumer.
    Jedi, if the customer returns a frame, is he or she entitled to a refund or just a credit towards the purchase of a new frame? Are your customers made aware of the policy prior to the purchase, or only if they ask about it? It seems we've had more requests to return/change finished jobs since the LensCrafters' ad has come out, too, and I'm wondering if we should pre-emptively make the customers aware of our policy ahead of time... however, I suppose that might invite trouble.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    L.C. was, probably is internationally, especially concidering thier "wholesale operation" however in terms of retail sales in the U.S. Wally is now Kang.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    Jedi, if the customer returns a frame, is he or she entitled to a refund or just a credit towards the purchase of a new frame? Are your customers made aware of the policy prior to the purchase, or only if they ask about it? It seems we've had more requests to return/change finished jobs since the LensCrafters' ad has come out, too, and I'm wondering if we should pre-emptively make the customers aware of our policy ahead of time... however, I suppose that might invite trouble.
    We have warranty card that we give with every order upon pick-up and we will disclose our exchange policy if asked, but it is not something we bring up while choosing frames. In the written policy exchange or store credit are the only options mentioned, but we can do a refund if really pressed (or if we want nothing to do with them). Sunglasses fall under the same criteria but are subject to a fee if the lenses are damaged. The only situation we don't budge is with the lenses, we will attempt to edge the first set down otherwise we charge 50% to make a new set.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Combine LC,Pearle Vision,Eyemed,Cole Vision,and the Luxottica frames that everyone carries into one entity called Luxottica Group, and then you will see who the biggest big-daddy monopoly in the optical industry really is. If you are comparing LC to anyone just keep in mind how big Luxottica is because every part of Luxottica must be included when talking about any part of the organization. The idea of promoting the "new" policy didn't come frome LC...it came from Luxottica...'
    L.C. was, probably is internationally, especially concidering thier "wholesale operation" however in terms of retail sales in the U.S. Wally is now Kang.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 07-01-2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: The violation of posting guidelines by a nincompoop

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The idea didn't come from Lenscrafters...............

Combine LC,Pearle Vision,Eyemed,Cole Vision,and the Luxottica frames that everyone carries into one entity called Luxottica Group, and then you will see who the biggest big-daddy monopoly in the optical industry really is. If you are comparing LC to anyone just keep in mind how big Luxottica is because every part of Luxottica must be included when talking about any part of the organization. The idea of promoting the "new" policy didn't come frome LC...it came from Luxottica....Damn those Delvechios'
    Dear Personalized.....
    The first time I saw anything like that policy was when I was a youngster and went Freeport ME.It was in a store with which you may be familiar. Its called L.L. Bean, after its founder Leon Bean.They guarantee your satisfaction with whatever they sell you for as long as they are in busines. You may return any product at any time for any reason you are unhappy with the product. I know a man who returned a pair of rain pants which leaked.The pants were over 15 years old and LLBean replaced them with a note saying they were sorry the pants didn't meet expectations. They replaced them with a similar pair saying they hadn't had the originals in stock for over 12 years but they hoped the replacements would suffice. Any business person who is not willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy is loosing out on a lucrative market. I can only remind you that statistically, the company knows what %age of sales will be returned. In the case of LLBean, repeat customers are the foundation of their business.It is not a good idea to curse the people from whom you can learn a great deal.

It would be in better taste to edit your post to remove that uncharacteristic sentence.If you choose to remove it, I will come back and remove this paragraph from this thread.
    Lord Byron

You sure are full of yourself......and who are you to suggest that I should edit my post, you must work for LC.......
    Dear Personalized.....
    The first time I saw anything like that policy was when I was a youngster and went Freeport ME.It was in a store with which you may be familiar. Its called L.L. Bean, after its founder Leon Bean.They guarantee your satisfaction with whatever they sell you for as long as they are in busines. You may return any product at any time for any reason you are unhappy with the product. I know a man who returned a pair of rain pants which leaked.The pants were over 15 years old and LLBean replaced them with a note saying they were sorry the pants didn't meet expectations. They replaced them with a similar pair saying they hadn't had the originals in stock for over 12 years but they hoped the replacements would suffice. Any business person who is not willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy is loosing out on a lucrative market. I can only remind you that statistically, the company knows what %age of sales will be returned. In the case of LLBean, repeat customers are the foundation of their business.It is not a good idea to curse the people from whom you can learn a great deal.

It would be in better taste to edit your post to remove that uncharacteristic sentence.If you choose to remove it, I will come back and remove this paragraph from this thread.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Replaceing a defective product or a product "Guaranteed for Life" as Sears and many other tool manufacturers do, is one thing. Allowing it to be returned for money-back or for another dis-similar product after a notable period of useage is quite another.

Does L.C. have any time limit on this? If styles change over a few years can they be returned for new product?

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You sure are full of yourself......and who are you to suggest that I should edit my post, you must work for LC.......
    I think he was referring to your toungue-in-cheek (I hope) comment towards the DelVecchio family. If you are 'cursing' them in the same way I do Sam Walton, which is to be respectfully envious due to their forward thinking business strategies then I agree with you. If you really are truly being negative towards them, then he is correct.

AA

PS I don't work for LC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't go feeling you will be missed.

Who am I??? I'm the guy that just took away your posting privilidges.
    Bye bye drillmaster! Don't bother coming back!

harry jilson
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    try returning a made to measure suit after 3 months wear .you would be told in no uncertain terms where to go. there is a difference between giving good service and exposing your backside and telling the customer to line up and have a good kick at it.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Who am I??? I'm the guy that just took away your posting privilidges.
    Bye bye drillmaster! Don't bother coming back!

harry jilson
    Oh Come on Harry!!! That kid is hysterical. Was that really Drillmountboy? Can't you reinstate him later just for comic relief? Why the new name? Did he get lynched as Drillmount? Or suspended?

I didn't know you were so sensitive about being lumped in with the LC crowd:D .

AA

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Back to the thread at hand. If I was as high a volume location as many LCs (or other chains for that matter), and I was unable to properly assist with frame selection and lens selection, I very well may have to advertise a policy such as this. Most independents, though, pride ourselves on dispensing a pair of eyewear that is correct the first time.
    I think that if smaller independents had this policy, the resulting loss would be minimal, simply because we can spend more time and lavish more attn on each person that comes through our doors. I think that if you are advertising a 'return if you don't like it' policy leads people to believe that you will sell them or make them a pair of glasses that they will grow to dislike. I would like to think that the majority of the time, we help them select a pair of glasses that they will always enjoy.

AA

Thread Information