Thread: Lenscrafters new return policy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lenscrafters new return policy

I am sure most of you have seen the new Lenscrafter's ads telling people they can return their glasses if they don't like them.

What do you think of this? I wonder how many people are actually returning their glasses?

I have had 2 patients in the past month want to return their glasses! This has almost never happened before. Both were long term patients and they just didn't like them! One was a woman that went from a drill mount to a full darker thin metal frame. She looked great(and younger) in her new glassses but came in the NEXT day and wanted to return them. She didn't even want to give herself a chance to get used to them. Both of these patients had expensive progressives with AR, also.

We changed them, but not happily. We did it to make long term patients happy. Anyone else having this happen? I can't help but wonder if it is related to the new Lenscrafter's ad.
    Last edited by Happylady; 07-01-2005 at 08:38 AM.

That is the most stupid policy that I know of.......but I can tell you that it is not a new policy at LC.....they have always had the 30 day money back gaurantee.....I don't understand the logic.....if you buy a new pair of socks, wear them for a week and then try to return them, the store would probably laugh at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    I am sure most of you have seen the new Lenscrafter's ads telling people they can return their glasses if they don't like them.

What do you think of this? I wonder how many people are actually returning their glasses?

I have had 2 patients in the past month want to return their glasses! This has almost never happened before. Both were long term patients and they just didn't like them! One was a woman that went from a drill mount to a full darker thin metal frame. She looked great(and younger) in her new glassses but came in the NEXT day and wanted to return them. She didn't even want to give herself a chance to get used to them. Both of these patients had expensive progressives with AR, also.

We changed them, but not happily. We did it to make long term patients happy. Anyone else having this happen? I can't help but wonder if it is related to the new Lenscrafter's ad.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The bad news is that buyers remorse is a very real fact of life. The good news is that is statistically predictable. I guarantee you that Lenscrafters can tell you to within a half percent, how many buyers out a thousand will return glasses. If you begin the excersise knowing that 4 out a thousand (hypothetical number) will return glasses, BUT advertising the return policy will bring in 2 thousand new customers, why not bite the bullet and sacrifice 8 pair of glasses. Its not rocket science.Buyer's remorse isn't going to go away.........Bully for them to take advantage, and turn a minus into a plus.Its a brillient strategy.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

I agree that it is a brilliant way to get people in the door......I just would not be able to bring myself to offer such a thing to my patients......
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    The bad news is that buyers remorse is a very real fact of life. The good news is that is statistically predictable. I guarantee you that Lenscrafters can tell you to within a half percent, how many buyers out a thousand will return glasses. If you begin the excersise knowing that 4 out a thousand (hypothetical number) will return glasses, BUT advertising the return policy will bring in 2 thousand new customers, why not bite the bullet and sacrifice 8 pair of glasses. Its not rocket science.Buyer's remorse isn't going to go away.........Bully for them to take advantage, and turn a minus into a plus.Its a brillient strategy.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We have a 30 day return period on the frame, no return on cut lenses but when they choose a new frame they get 50% off a new set of lenses. It's fair for us and the consumer.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    We have a 30 day return period on the frame, no return on cut lenses but when they choose a new frame they get 50% off a new set of lenses. It's fair for us and the consumer.
    Jedi, if the customer returns a frame, is he or she entitled to a refund or just a credit towards the purchase of a new frame? Are your customers made aware of the policy prior to the purchase, or only if they ask about it? It seems we've had more requests to return/change finished jobs since the LensCrafters' ad has come out, too, and I'm wondering if we should pre-emptively make the customers aware of our policy ahead of time... however, I suppose that might invite trouble.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That's why

Quote Originally Posted by Personalizedoptics
    I agree that it is a brilliant way to get people in the door......I just would not be able to bring myself to offer such a thing to my patients......
    That's why Lenscrafters is where they are, and why you are where you are. That is not meant as a put down. Different strokes for different folks.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

So, where is Lens Crafters? Retail giants like Lens Crafters only have a 20% market share in the optical industry, while the other 80% belongs to "people like me" in the independant sector......
    That's why Lenscrafters is where they are, and why you are where you are. That is not meant as a put down. Different strokes for different folks.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Advertising!! Wow!! They Lenscrafters I wonder when they will go broke!! Happened to one of the largest retailers! K-Mart!!

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, socks-- they will change! Expensive eyeglasses should not be changed unless the doctor made an error in the RX. They selected them and went they got home a family member said they did not like them. Happens a lot. It is not correct! They need to sign for them at the time of order saying they agree to order them. After the fact if they come back because of whatever reason you point out to them what they signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Personalizedoptics
    That is the most stupid policy that I know of.......but I can tell you that it is not a new policy at LC.....they have always had the 30 day money back gaurantee.....I don't understand the logic.....if you buy a new pair of socks, wear them for a week and then try to return them, the store would probably laugh at you.

Thread Information