Thread: Need new motor for Horizon II

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need new motor for Horizon II

The motor on our Optronics Horizon II has bad bearings. We've had Bosch try to repair it with no success. We're currently using our old backup motor, which has a limited life. Anyone have a new/used motor hanging around they'd be willing to sell?

No, we aren't in the market for a new edger. We're converting to a trace-and-transfer system and are keeping the edger for emergency jobs, custom clips, etc.

Thanks.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Motor

I do not know the model number but the Bodine is the quiet motor for that machine. Check their web site and if you give them a call they may be able to tell you which motor it is.

www.bodine-electric.com

If you are going to trace frames and do not yet have a tracer I have a Weco that we have been using as a back up and I would consider selling it. It works fine and we have had it interfaced with other software so it is OMA adaptable. The model is FT-D3+
    You can trace frames lens blanks, both left and right eye.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Optronics II

Have you tried to call National Optronics they still sell the Optronics II brand new I'm sure they still have parts for it and are willing to help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try Grimes Optical @1-800-749-8427. I bought my refurbished Horizon II there last year and have been very happy. Tim Grimes really knows his stuff. I am glad to see that I am not the only one using this Dinasour.

I am in no way affiliated with Grimes, just a pleased customer.

Fezz

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optronics motor

THe cutter motor from the old DVT and Horizon II were both Bosch router motors I think 1HP. Easy solution would be buy a Bosch router and simply connect it to the unit.
    In the future to save the bearings take a plaxtic food container and cover the end bell of the motor on the switch end cut a hole for a piece of 1" flex hose and run that to a hole in the back of the case....Now the motor breathes in fresh air and doesnt suck lens dust into the bearings

Ed

Occupation
    Bring the old motor in to McMasters, Grainger or any industrial electric supply house in the Worcester County area. The motor and bearings are off the shelf components. You can probably replace the old motor with a with a new one for 1/10 th of what optronics wants. Also, any industrial motor rebuilder can renew the bearings for you. You are living in the right location for this type of thing, the Worcester, Leominster and Fitchburg area.

Of course, if you have even the slightest amount of talent you can rebuild the thingy yourself.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Generic Motors

Learned many years ago that all motors can be repaired, matched by eletro motor speciality companies which you can find in any larger town or city. It used to be a lot cheaper than going to the company where the edger came from. Same for the wheels and cutters.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 07-01-2005 at 09:33 AM.

Occupation
    Of course, the best place to locate these resources is the Thomas' Register. It's now called ThomasNet and found here http://www.thomasnet.com/ . No longer 15 very large green books, this is a very valuable resource for anyone who does anything. This is the place where you go to find out where to get stuff or where to get stuff fixed. Want to buy 15000 pounds of polycarbonate or perhaps some real gold filled wire to make some frames or ptosis crutches, you will find it here.

I can't live without it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was taught to use the Thomas' Register in engineering school. Still can't live without it, it has everything you need. Andrew, check there first, I bet you'll find the answer.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Innovative Optical Systems @ 888-351-4467 has used and rebuilt Bosch motors for this machine for reasonable prices.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm reviving a thread from 6 months ago, but did anyone ever figure out what the model number is on the Bodine motor?

I'm looking at getting an Horizon II and would just like to know what the cost is for such a repair should I ever need to do it, and would rather go with the quieter route.

-Steve

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Horizon 2 motor

Well I noticed that this is an old post BUT a GREAT place to get Horizon parts at a fraction of the cost is Bill Fox Inc in Texas, His number is 1-800-245-5369.

Plus the motors he uses last 3 times as long, at least.
    Last edited by Matthew; 01-13-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Thread Information