Thread: 9-11 Freedom Tower

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

9-11 Freedom Tower

Recent headlines:

“The newest plan for the FreedomTower at the former WorldTradeCenter site features a more bomb-resistant design pushed well away from the street and incorporating heavily protected elevators and utilities.”

This project seems to be up to it’s eyeballs in controversy. Seems that everyone who is even remotely connected with the events of 9-11 want to design the building and site.

Let’s win the war first – then build the monuments. I just cant imagine our fathers and grandfathers building memorials at Pearle Harbor in 1942. They focused on the task at hand and, by and large, kept politics out of the equation. There is a time to fight and a time to build monuments.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Let’s win the war first – then build the monuments. I just cant imagine our fathers and grandfathers building memorials at Pearle Harbor in 1942. They focused on the task at hand and, by and large, kept politics out of the equation. There is a time to fight and a time to build monuments.
    I respectfully disagree.

In most of our former wars our enemy was a nation-state with defined boundaries and an organized uniformed military. It was only a matter of time before we won or lost...there were only so many people to fight and die, and there was only so much money to be spent (the USSR during the COld War for example). Our new foe, as defined by our new War on Terror, is an amorphous and evolving, from who is involved to where the funding comes from. If we wait until the War on Terror is over, we will NEVER build the 9-11 Monument. By having an extremely broad definition of our opponents in this War, we may never be finished fighting this conflict. After Al Quaeda and Iraq will be N Korea, Iran, various splinter groups, etc. Terrorism has existed for decades, and it will continue to exist in perpetuity in some form or another. Now if you said wait until the war against Al Quaida is finished, then perhaps that would be in the forseeable future.

I certainly think the 9-11 monument is worth being built. I just don't see our war on Terror will ever end, any more than the War on Drugs, so we might as well start now. Just because the war rages on doesn't mean the twin towers disaster shouldn't be memorialized.

AA

AA
    Last edited by Aarlan; 06-29-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Thread Information