Thread: The Daily Show

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Daily Show

I hope you caught this - Hilarious yet disturbing juxtaposition of administration talking heads contradicting each other. I especially like the pre-war Rumsey saying (paraphrase) "It might take 6 days, 6 weeks, but I don't think it will take as long as 6 months" :hammer:

Click on "war of the words"

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/t...layVideo=15887
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I watched our President and Commander in Chief last night

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The other evening Stewart was doing a bit on the "oh it never gets old" bill in the House to amend the Constitution to make flag burning illegal. (Thank God these folks have solved all our other federal problems and time to hone in on this--think how much better your life would be if people no longer could burn the flag!!!) I can't do it justice but he showed a montage of various courageous representatives speaking to this in the well of the house and each one of course invoked 9-11 (the gift that keeps on giving); the wrap was the section of the Flag Manual that says the only respectful way to destroy an old or damaged flag is, you guessed it, to burn it.

Ridicule is such a wonderful way to deal with the self righteous and hypocritical, and Stewart is as good as it gets.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    I watched our President and Commander in Chief last night
    Me too. But to be honest, he isn't quite as funny as Jon Stewart.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jon Stewart is funny- perhaps a bit misguided, but funny nevertheless. Regarding the flag burning amendment... what an embarrassment for conservatives (speaking as one). We're getting nowhere on Social Security and we have time for this kind of nonsense?

James Carville can be funny as well, as can Al Franken. Rush Limbaugh can be hillarious at times. If we can't laugh at our political system, all we'd be left with is frustration and downright anger. I find Saturday Night Live does as good a job as anyone on political humor. Its usually somewhat balanced (something I don't find in Stewart, Franken, or Limbaugh), and the spoof of the W vs. Gore debate had to be the single funniest political parody ever!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Jon Stewart is funny- perhaps a bit misguided, but funny nevertheless. Regarding the flag burning amendment... what an embarrassment for conservatives (speaking as one). We're getting nowhere on Social Security and we have time for this kind of nonsense?

James Carville can be funny as well, as can Al Franken. Rush Limbaugh can be hillarious at times. If we can't laugh at our political system, all we'd be left with is frustration and downright anger. I find Saturday Night Live does as good a job as anyone on political humor. Its usually somewhat balanced (something I don't find in Stewart, Franken, or Limbaugh), and the spoof of the W vs. Gore debate had to be the single funniest political parody ever!
    As much as I like to jump on (crazy, far right) conservatives, there are plenty of democrats lining up to wrap themselves in this pseudo patriotic nonsense. I think Stewart is pretty apolitical, true he is hitting more on Bush and Bushies lately but that's because they're in power. He has a lot of Republican guests, from Newt to Guiliani to Bill O'Reilly.

Love Carville, loathe Limbaugh, think Franken needs some new material and he is preachy at times. SNL favorite political bits were Dana Carvey doing Bush pere and Hammond doing Clinton. Hysterical!!!
    Last edited by chm2023; 06-29-2005 at 03:10 PM.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    James Carville can be funny as well, as can Al Franken. Rush Limbaugh can be hillarious at times.
    I've taken to listening to Rush for about the last 10 minutes before I get to work. I understand that he's attempting to be serious but damn that man is funny. I don't believe I get Franken but I suspect that he's spending more time trying to be funny and I would probably find him less so for it.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Oh, I definitely think some of the humorousness of Limbaugh is when he would consider himself as being serious. The double standard he occasionally pulls on someone from the left (when I can think of an example of a conservative doing the same) can be humorous. Honestly, Limbaugh does also get on folks on his own side of the aisle as well (he pretty much seems to loathe McCain).

Franken comes across (to me, anyway) as someone who is actually very angry beneath all the cynicism and sarcasm.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Oh, I definitely think some of the humorousness of Limbaugh is when he would consider himself as being serious. The double standard he occasionally pulls on someone from the left (when I can think of an example of a conservative doing the same) can be humorous. Honestly, Limbaugh does also get on folks on his own side of the aisle as well (he pretty much seems to loathe McCain).

Franken comes across (to me, anyway) as someone who is actually very angry beneath all the cynicism and sarcasm.
    McCain isn't on Rush's side of the aisle. McCain is the only Libertarian in congress he just hasn't switched his party affiliation yet. Rush has figured this out and isn't real happy with it. More to the point, however, McCain doesn't 'suffer fools gladly' and he's fully aware that the majority of both the donkeys and elephants are fools.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I totally buy into the "McCain is a Libertarian" concept, its the "McCain doesn't suffer fools" part I have trouble with. In my opinion, McCain is the GOP version of Dean- a somewhat intelligent but mostly just renegadish individual who doesn't always think before speaking. Also, I think both individuals will do their party more harm than good (in McCain's case, I don't think he really cares- in Dean's case, I don't think he can really control himself).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Thread Information