Thread: Sad days

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Sad days

While my wife and I went on vacation last week my house was broken into and things were taken, some we can replace and some we cannot, like my wife's jewerly she got from her grandmother that had already passed away.
    The worst is they have stolen my peace of mind, I always felt after a hard days work I was able to come home and relax. I'm on edge and scared for my wife and myself, not sleeping well also.
    How sad that we work so hard at making an honest living and someone takes it away.
    Just venting,
    Rich R.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sorry to hear that Rich. I know how you feel. Last year my wife's truck was stolen and in it was a small stuffed parrot that our oldest son gave to her over 30 years ago. She had hung it on the mirror of every car she had since then.

When people do this they take more than just 'stuff'. They take a piece of our lives and our sense of security.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich R
    The worst is they have stolen my peace of mind, I always felt after a hard days work I was able to come home and relax. I'm on edge and scared for my wife and myself, not sleeping well also.
    I can feek with you. Habe gone through the same thing 12 years ago. It will blow over but you will never forget about it.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    'Least you weren't home. It happened to me once. Makes you not want to go on vacation for a while.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Our first home was broken into many years ago, and we haven't been without a security system since.

They're cheap, and so far as I can tell, effective; especially with regard to restoring one's sense of security.

Occupation
    Rich R said:

“How sad that we work so hard at making an honest living and someone takes it away.”

This is true . . . we seem to all be victims of either crooks or the government.

Shanbaum has the right idea. We have a homes in Connecticut and a ranch in Oregon. We have alarm systems and a recently installed security camera that we can access and control over the internet from anyplace in the world. You can view and control the system here:

http://www.accuratelocators.com/livecam.html

Of course the best deterrent that we have is our neighbor in Oregon – an honest to God survivalist. Nothing moves in our canyon that he doesn’t observe and “take care of.” He is a strange duck, part of his mind is still in Vietnam, but he has become a good friend over the years.

Dick
    www.aerovisiontech.com

Occupation
    Thanks all for your warm thoughts, as a result I also had a security installed, it does make us feel we're back in control, however we'll be a little nervous planning next vacation.

Rich R.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich R
    Thanks all for your warm thoughts, as a result I also had a security installed, it does make us feel we're back in control, however we'll be a little nervous planning next vacation.

Rich R.
    Be sure to display some signs (in whatever form - decals, yard signs, etc.) to advertise to potential burglars that you have a security system. The system will protect you against a break-in (the burglars would probably run away when the alarm goes off); the signs may protect you from an attempt.

Occupation
    Thanks shanbaum, the security system installer put one sign in our front planter, and left another that I put in the back, no one sees the one in back unless they look over my 6 1/2 foot redwood fence or climb over.

Rich R.

Occupation
    Get a dog. Doesn't matter if he's a wimp as long as he barks loudly.

Bad address email on file
    Rich:

Ever notice how you always feel better after hearing from someone else with worse problems?

My step dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons 4 months ago. He had to take early retirement from his job at Ford Motor Co. He cried the other day -- first time I've seen him cry -- about having to give up his driver's license. Also about going from $88,000 a year to about $45,000. He's in constant pain, has trouble breathing, and is losing weight rapidly.

You'll be okay Rich.

Occupation
    Jason

Sorry to hear about your dad, in our lives we go through many emotions, some good and some not good, I do feel very lucky to have 2 cool kids and 3 adorable grandkids. Just over 10 years ago my daughter who was 24 at the time found out she had breast cancer and only had a 30 % chance to survive, she was planning her wedding to her high school sweetheart she dated since she was 16 years old, the wedding still happened at the hospital after getting an emergency blood transfusion. After surgery to remove both breasts to save her life her husband left her for another girl, she lost everything in her world at that time.
    Now 10 years later my 34 year old daughter is remarried to a guy who loves her and takes great care of her, she has a 2 1/2 year old daughter amd 8 month old son. I'm the luckiest gramps in the world, so all in all I'm pretty lucky to have my wonderful kids and grandkids.
    Every cloud has a silver lining is sometimes so true.
    Best regards, Rich R

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Rich:

Ever notice how you always feel better after hearing from someone else with worse problems?

My step dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons 4 months ago. He had to take early retirement from his job at Ford Motor Co. He cried the other day -- first time I've seen him cry -- about having to give up his driver's license. Also about going from $88,000 a year to about $45,000. He's in constant pain, has trouble breathing, and is losing weight rapidly.

You'll be okay Rich.
    There are some really wonderful Parkinsons support groups--for the patient and family. My husband's mother had Parkinsons and this was a real asset as she declined over the years. You have my sympathy.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

alarms

When I lived in NYC I had a system that when set off it would play the recorded sound of a Cot .45 being cocked and a lady friend yelling SHOOT THE SON OF A B!tch !
    If anyone set it offf they would have died of heart failure rather than lead poisoning

Ed

Thread Information