Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Trivex-ites

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drillmountmaster
    I know i have some issues......I'm trying to realize my impertfections....but I'm surrounded by ignorance.......good thing we all don't work together.....can you imagine the conversations we would have.......someone should start an optical sitcom
    I think you owe Harry an apology.
    ...Just ask me...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Harry's doing ok.....

He's developed a tough skin over the past few years. After being badly bruised in the great Frisbee debate of 2001 or so , he recovered very nicely. No apology neccesary! Ignorance is a lack of knowledge and while I don't think I'm ignorant, I'll be the first to admit there's an awful lot I don't know.

I am, however,guilty of taking a cheap shot to get a laugh out of cousin Robert and I plead guilty with pride! I think I'll be able to handle whatever the drillmountmaster dishes out in retribution.

Thanks for the kind thoughts! harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Really, that was pertfect...

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson

I am, however,guilty of taking a cheap shot to get a laugh out of cousin Robert and I plead guilty with pride!
    And a good laugh it was, Harry - even better than the one I got out of "I'm trying to realize my impertfections....but I'm surrounded by ignorance".

Banned
    He started it
    I'd bet dollars to doughnuts Billy drills more lenses than you do! There aren't that many people in Brunei! :):)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    'Master' have you ever:

-Cemented a segment
    -Crimped a glass lens
    -Edged a lens entirely by hand only (no edger) on a flat stone
    -Made all of his patterns with a tin snip and a rasp file
    -Used a pattern at all for that matter
    -used a colmascope (or know what one is?)
    -used a protractor for finish layout?

These are just a few basic skills that many of the 'old timers' have done since before you were a bad thought in your old mans head.

The normal progression is from apprentice to journeyman to master in any trade. Just calling oneself a master does not make it so.

Any Chimpanzee can use a patternless and CNC to drill poly, so please spare us your unbridled hubris and come back down to earth. If you get an opportunity you should re-sign onto optiboard with a more appropriate moniker and save the term Master for another 15-20 years.

I recommend listening to some of the more knowledgeable optiboarders and learning something, rather than belittling them with nonsensical prattle.

AA

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    He started it
    Dude, he was talking about Billy Brock. Billy Brock is known as one of the greatest drill artists in the World.

http://www.billybrock.com/

Occupation
    Optometrist
    RT,

Probably a bit off subject, but since I saw you earlier in this thread...just a quick question about Trivex, since you are a person in the know. With a knife edge on a Poly, it normally just flexes and can even rip. I figured Trivex would be similar, however, just a few weeks ago I had a high plus knife edge Trivex, and dropped it on the floor (too much caffeine...or too little I don't remember). Lo and behold the darn thing chipped!!!! I thought with a high tensile strength that this would be impossible...poly wouldn't do that if I dropped it from my roof...what do you think?

AA

Banned
    You guys are right I probably should be a bit more humble....and no, of course I haven't done any of that crap you're talking about....but once again...who cares....that stuff is stone age.... and all I use to drill is a dremel, not a press..now I'm sure Billy Brock is much better than me at drill mounts...all hail Billy Brock...but the rest of you are dinosaurs and can eat my poly dust!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan
    'Master' have you ever:

-Cemented a segment
    -Crimped a glass lens
    -Edged a lens entirely by hand only (no edger) on a flat stone
    -Made all of his patterns with a tin snip and a rasp file
    -Used a pattern at all for that matter
    -used a colmascope (or know what one is?)
    -used a protractor for finish layout?

These are just a few basic skills that many of the 'old timers' have done since before you were a bad thought in your old mans head.

The normal progression is from apprentice to journeyman to master in any trade. Just calling oneself a master does not make it so.

Any Chimpanzee can use a patternless and CNC to drill poly, so please spare us your unbridled hubris and come back down to earth. If you get an opportunity you should re-sign onto optiboard with a more appropriate moniker and save the term Master for another 15-20 years.

I recommend listening to some of the more knowledgeable optiboarders and learning something, rather than belittling them with nonsensical prattle.

AA

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys are right I probably should be a bit more humble....and no, of course I haven't done any of that crap you're talking about....but once again...who cares....that stuff is stone age.... and all I use to drill is a dremel, not a press..now I'm sure Billy Brock is much better than me at drill mounts...all hail Billy Brock...but the rest of you are dinosaurs and can eat my poly dust!!!!!
    I'm sure he is too! Just check out his work in the Tura Catalog. You don't need to be humble either, although self recognition is not to be considered an endorsment of fact. It is good to be enthusiastic about what you do, and its refreshing to see that much confidence, however if all your dust is poly, you are the pot calling the kettle black. There is a newer, superior product for drilling on the market called Trivex. Even the Dinosaurs know about it! Check it out, you may find you like it.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    I know about Trivex, but still contend that it is too expensive. I know that it works better with drill mounts.....if you don't know how to drill poly correctly.....but, if you do it correctly you won't have the problems (cracking) that poly is notorious for. Thats all I'm saying.

Poly dust for everyone......I'm the Master!!!!
    I'm sure he is too! Just check out his work in the Tura Catalog. You don't need to be humble either, although self recognition is not to be considered an endorsment of fact. It is good to be enthusiastic about what you do, and its refreshing to see that much confidence, however if all your dust is poly, you are the pot calling the kettle black. There is a newer, superior product for drilling on the market called Trivex. Even the Dinosaurs know about it! Check it out, you may find you like it.

hj

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Reputation thingy

Now I know when to use it!! lol

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I know about Trivex, but still contend that it is too expensive. I know that it works better with drill mounts.....if you don't know how to drill poly correctly.....but, if you do it correctly you won't have the problems (cracking) that poly is notorious for. Thats all I'm saying.

Poly dust for everyone......I'm the Master!!!!
    Again, find a new supplier. We get ours from straight from Hoya for not much more than CR-39. The expense arguement is a myth if your willing to negotiate.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check around for trivex(phoenix, trilogy) pricing. It can be had for the same, close to or even cheaper then poly.

Fezz :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm paying not much more than CR39 prices. Really makes a viable alternative to polycrap and CR39

Banned
    I get poly for <wholesale pricing removed as per forum rules>....unless something has changed dramatically in the last couple of months.......eat my poly dust
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    Check around for trivex(phoenix, trilogy) pricing. It can be had for the same, close to or even cheaper then poly.

Fezz :cheers:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    No wholesale $$$
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

trivex

I have drill glass, cr-39 ,1.60, 1.67 , poly, and trivex. Trivex is one of the best lenses , I have work with. I dont get the starring around drill holes, like poly from struss. Billy Bock , Work is second to none in the world. And I HAVE SEEN ALOT.

Man, you guys must be paying a lot for cr-39!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I'm paying not much more than CR39 prices. Really makes a viable alternative to polycrap and CR39

Thread Information