Thread: Sunglasses - prescription and non-prescription?

OptiBoard Novice

Question Sunglasses - prescription and non-prescription?

Well, I've finally decided to get a pair of sunglasses over $20, but under $200. I'm looking for a pair for driving and hopefully, flying. I'd prefer a glass lens and a frame that might be in style for a couple of years. Just wondering what everyone thought about Serengettis? Any other recommendations?

I've also decided to finally get some prescription sunglasses. I'm thinking of an aviator style frame since, although I remember when the big ones weren't cool anymore, it is a pretty classic style that I expect will be around for the long time I expect to have these sunglasses for.

I remember that Zeiss used to sell a high quality, very solid, Rx aviator frame, but this doesn't seem to be around anymore (I found this board while searching for it -very interesting, btw). I also loved the silicone nose pads it came with. What other frames might fit the bill?

I'm nearsighted (-4.00, -3.75 as I remember) and need a fairly small frame. I think even the medium Ray-Ban aviator is a bit big for me. I'm in Columbus, OH (which seems pretty conservative) but could also get to Ann Arbor, MI (a little more stylish) for frames.

Thanks!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Serengetti's are my favourite.

For the RX Sunglasses you do not need as fancy of a frame. Maybe Bolle or even something less expensive. Your RX will change.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maui Jims are quite nice as well. www.mauijim.com

OptiWizard
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-the-bike

I've also decided to finally get some prescription sunglasses. I'm thinking of an aviator style frame since, although I remember when the big ones weren't cool anymore, it is a pretty classic style that I expect will be around for the long time I expect to have these sunglasses for.

I'm nearsighted (-4.00, -3.75 as I remember) and need a fairly small frame. I think even the medium Ray-Ban aviator is a bit big for me. I'm in Columbus, OH (which seems pretty conservative) but could also get to Ann Arbor, MI (a little more stylish) for frames.

Thanks!
    The aviator style is actually back in style lately.

I'll also add a plug for Maui Jim. Although they will be on the high end of your price range.

Also no self respecting Buckeye would travel to Ann Arbor to buy anything.
    Cheers
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any good polarized lens will do just fine but stay away from that aviator shape with your Rx. This makes the thickest lens possible. Smaller is thinner and lighter and aviators are the least compatable shape with either thinner or lighter.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Any good polarized lens will do just fine but stay away from that aviator shape with your Rx. This makes the thickest lens possible. Smaller is thinner and lighter and aviators are the least compatable shape with either thinner or lighter.

Chip
    I agree about staying away from the Aviator shape with that RX. Also be careful about the polarized lenses. I just notice that you also plan to use them flying. Some instrument panels have LCD screens that are polarized and polarized lenses may make it difficult to view.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

RX thickness

Traditional Rx sunglasses in the aviator style will have this problem, however the new ICE-TECH Rx Advanced Polarized Lens can be made to work just fine. It would have a maximum lens thickness of just about 3.5 mm. We use a special thin edge technology that makes the maximum thickness work fine in a large frame with your Rx.

E-mail info@ice-tech.com for thin edge Rx information

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    TRAVEL.....GOOOOO.....Yeh Ann arbor!

Sorry, my loyalty can cloud my MICHIGAN, I mean Vision....wow sorry again.
    I am a huge fan of Maui Jims, I might get shot for saying it also but I truly enjoy my Oakleys as well. They are a huge pt draw and they are rock solid with good optics. Also very Rxable. Good luck. Oh if it means anything, Maui and Oakley also have nice wty policies. Good luck!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mike.
    Don't go to Ann Arbor for ANYTHING, except an away game!

I'm in Westerville and can help you! "Private Message" me.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The Optiboard treatment again. 1,000,000 opinions on a simple question ;)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    The Optiboard treatment again. 1,000,000 opinions on a simple question ;)
    I think we should coin a new term for this effect, "Optibored". example: This thread has so many opinions it been Optibored into the ground.:bbg: It would rank up there with getting slashdotted or farked.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm a big fan of polarized lenses, but i'm with Stopper on this one. This might just be hearsay, but I believe polarized lenses are restricted when flying for the reasons previously stated. I was also under the assumption that some windshield in aircrafts are polarized as well, but someone correct me if i'm wrong i'm not a pilot. If you like the look of the aviator sunglasses, but want a style that is suitable to your rx, try some of the "modified aviator" style. These have the double bar and a more consistant shape all around, unlike the traditional teardrop shape. Most sunglass companies have these styles in their catalog.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoard Novice

timeout is too short when composing...

Just lost my entire eloquent message. Some of us take longer to get things right....

I'll be quick this time...

Can anyone recommend Rx frames of similar quality & strength to the old Zeiss frames, which come in an aviator style? They may not be made by a sunglass mfgr, judging by some of the ones I've looked at. Silicone nose pads and "non-straight" arms are a plus.

Thanks!

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Polarized lenses for flying

There are two potential reasons to not have polarized lenses for flying an airplane.
    1-If you fly a plan with a polarized windshield you should not wear polarized sunlenses.
    2-If the polarized file in LCDs on the panel is not oriented the in the correct positioned you may have trouble seeing.

I have been flying personally with polarized lenses in airplanes with well equiped instruments, including a Mooney, Navajo, and a twin Commanche. I experienced not instrument reading problems with any of these.

Thread Information