Thread: Schiavo Autopsy finds damage irreversible

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Schiavo Autopsy finds damage irreversible

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Schiavo autopsy finds damage was irreversible
    CTV.ca News Staff

An autopsy of Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman who became the symbol for the right-to-die battle, could not have been rehabilitated, the Florida medical examiner's office said Wednesday.

Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin said his autopsy showed Schiavo's brain, at the time of death, was about half the weight of a normal brain, backing her husband's contention that she was in a persistent vegetative state.

"This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons," Thogmartin told reporters.

Schiavo, 41, died on March 31, after her husband, Michael, successfully won a legal bid to have her feeding tube removed.

But many questions about her life remained.

Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, fought to keep their daughter alive, saying she could have been rehabilitated. They also claimed she was responsive to them. However, Thogmartin said that at the time of her death, she was blind.

The Schindlers also alleged that their daughter suffered abuse at the hands of husband Michael Schiavo -- a claim he has always denied.

Today, Thogmartin said there was no evidence of strangulation at the time of her collapse in 1990, and fractures to her spine were consistent with osteoporosis, common in paralysis patients. He said her bones were "palpably soft."

As for what caused Schiavo to collapse at the age of 26, leading to her vegetative state, Thogmartin said his results did not support the initial diagnosis of an eating disorder.

Previously, doctors had suggested that Schiavo suffered a severe chemical imbalance and heart attack as the result of bulimia nervosa.

Thogmartin said her heart was normal, and could not definitively say what caused the collapse. He suggested that caffeine may have been a factor. Schiavo is believed to have had about 1 gram of tea a day.

However, he said the collapse happened in the morning, making caffeine toxicity unlikely.

As for her official cause of death, Thogmartin said she suffered severe dehydration, and did not starve to death.

He also said that Schiavo would not have been able to live without a feeding tube, and that trying to eat or drink orally would have resulted in aspiration.

"Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death whether she was fed or hydrated by mouth or not,'' Thogmartin said.

Michael Schiavo always maintained that Terri had previously told him she didn't want to be kept alive artificially. However, Schiavo left no living will, and her family said they didn't believe she would make such comments.

The long battle between Schiavo's parents and her husband reached the U.S. Supreme Court, the Congress, the Vatican and the White House. The case also made headlines around the world.

Rising Star
    yea everyone read about this. Alot of politics involved in that

Occupation

Your 15 minutes are SO up

Her family (Schlindlers) are now claiming that the husband delayed calling 911 and hence is responsible for her death. Anything to keep the media interested and not a word (nor from Frist et al in Congress) about having been completely dead *** wrong on this.

What a bunch of clowns these people are. Dollars to donuts they are already looking to cash in with a book or a movie deal. I have a lot of sympathy for the husband, the one person who has maintained some semblance of dignity thru this circus.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gov. Bush wants probe of Schiavo collapse

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suppose this is supposed to redirect our attention from the bi-partisan request for Pres. Bush to set a timetable for troop withdrawals from Iraq.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy,

I agree with you. Jeb, seems to be even more of past problem dweller than his brother! (But than again, did Big Brother make the call?) I wonder if they have ever put any of their suffering animals down?

Here in PA, we have put up with Santorum's digressions also. I hope we can over come this attitude by unseating him in the next election.

Bev

Occupation
    I used to have some respect for Jeb Bush, but apparently pandering is in his blood.Here's another tidbit: apparently the Citrus County prosecutor's office has flummoxed the investigation of the recent murder of the little girl who was kidnapped and killed by the convicted child molester (can't remember her name); the cops apparently didn't Mirandize the guy. How inept are these people???? There are people calling for Bush to appoint a special prosecutor to untangle this but he has resisted, apparently trying to shield these morons. So what does he do instead? Pushes a law that would deny convicted child molesters access to public shelters during hurricanes. Ah the power of misdirection!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    Judy,

I agree with you. Jeb, seems to be even more of past problem dweller than his brother! (But than again, did Big Brother make the call?) I wonder if they have ever put any of their suffering animals down?

Here in PA, we have put up with Santorum's digressions also. I hope we can over come this attitude by unseating him in the next election.

Bev
    Chant with me:

Casey! Casey! Casey!
    :cheers:
    Last edited by Spexvet; 06-21-2005 at 08:55 AM.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Spexvet

YES, Yes, Yes.........CASEY! CASEY! CASEY!

Just contributred to his campaign funds requested by Kerry.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Actually, Senator Santorum is one of my picks for VP on the GOP ticket in 2008! When the GOP inevitably wins with whomever runs against HRC, that will solve your problem of getting rid of him as well- so I suppose we're both on the same side on this one.
    :)
    I attended the AOA opening ceremonies today here in Dallas, and the keynote speakers were James Carville and Mary Matalin- both were insightful, intelligent, and eloquent...

PS- Casey was one of the two Democrats for whom I have voted in my lifetime- he'd make a great Senator (that is, if Sen. Santorum becomes unavailable due to being in the Executive Branch).
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,

There is currently alot of hot water that Santorum has gotten himself in here in PA just like Specter. Santorum got caught with his kids being enrolled in a chartered school at PA prices but lives with his family in VA. Not sure you knew that. He has to pay the costs back to the district as an out of stater. He used his house address that he owns here but does not live here for a consecutive period of time. He only visits 2-3 times a year. Schiavo case is another non acceptable issue.

I fear both of these guys will be unseated if we get two very good Dem's running. The urban cities will get out the vote for that I am sure.

Bev

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Considering the length of the legislative session, its not surprising that legislators decide to live closer to Washington D.C. If he owes the money, he should repay it, but considering Hillary is the NY Senator, I don't think residency is such a big issue long term.

Sen. Spector's troubles come from being so moderate. Personally, I think he hit the recent issue of the judicial nominees square on the head and called both sides on their unyielding positioning.

As for the cities, they ALWAYS come out for the Democrats- heck, even in her vegetative state, Mrs. Schiavo would have carried Pittsburgh and Philly if she were run as a Democrat (no insensitivity intended- its just that the metros are hopeless for Republicans- just a political fact of life).

I like Sen. Santorum as a VP because I think he presents well, represents a new generation of the GOP, and might get Pennsylvania into the red (finally) during 2008. Run him with Guilionni (sp- I'm going to have to learn to spell this for when he runs for the Presidency in '08), and the GOP has a shot at NY and PA- a win in either pretty much takes the election from the Dems. My understanding is your current Dem governor isn't scoring a lot of points with you Keystoners lately.

As a Texan, I just want to see our property taxes cut here in the Lone Star State. We're going to pay entirely too much in taxes considering this state is fortunate enough to have a Republican Governor and legislative branch!
    PS- Most of the above is intended to yank the chains of all my esteemed Democrat colleagues. Actually, I agree with James Carville that America right now is just plain "tired." Not politically angry- just tired and not sure that the current agenda is really accomplishing anything high on their priority list. I for one await a Democrat proposal for fixing Social Security (now that the Dem leadership admits there is a problem to be addressed). I like the personal accounts, but if someone has a better idea- bring it on!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Considering the length of the legislative session, its not surprising that legislators decide to live closer to Washington D.C. If he owes the money, he should repay it, but considering Hillary is the NY Senator, I don't think residency is such a big issue long term.

Sen. Spector's troubles come from being so moderate. Personally, I think he hit the recent issue of the judicial nominees square on the head and called both sides on their unyielding positioning.

As for the cities, they ALWAYS come out for the Democrats- heck, even in her vegetative state, Mrs. Schiavo would have carried Pittsburgh and Philly if she were run as a Democrat (no insensitivity intended- its just that the metros are hopeless for Republicans- just a political fact of life).

I like Sen. Santorum as a VP because I think he presents well, represents a new generation of the GOP, and might get Pennsylvania into the red (finally) during 2008. Run him with Guilionni (sp- I'm going to have to learn to spell this for when he runs for the Presidency in '08), and the GOP has a shot at NY and PA- a win in either pretty much takes the election from the Dems. My understanding is your current Dem governor isn't scoring a lot of points with you Keystoners lately.

As a Texan, I just want to see our property taxes cut here in the Lone Star State. We're going to pay entirely too much in taxes considering this state is fortunate enough to have a Republican Governor and legislative branch!
    PS- Most of the above is intended to yank the chains of all my esteemed Democrat colleagues. Actually, I agree with James Carville that America right now is just plain "tired." Not politically angry- just tired and not sure that the current agenda is really accomplishing anything high on their priority list. I for one await a Democrat proposal for fixing Social Security (now that the Dem leadership admits there is a problem to be addressed). I like the personal accounts, but if someone has a better idea- bring it on!
    I believe Casey will give Santorum a run for his money, and don't under-estimate Rendall (Rendell???), one of the really savvy politicians of our time. I find it hard to picture Rudy and Santorum on the same ticket, unless the notion is a left of Republican center and a right of Republican center somehow equal the middle of the road candidate--Rudy is a pro-choicer and Santorum has built his base on pro-life (that and the key issue of gay marriage of course!) Will be interesting, especially with Biden now in the race on the other side.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Rudy and Santorum
    Rudy and Santorum? Naw McCain and Rudy unless John runs as an independent and then it'll be McCain and Lieberman.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    Rudy and Santorum? Naw McCain and Rudy unless John runs as an independent and then it'll be McCain and Lieberman.
    The last president elected who hadn't been a governor was Papa Bush, before that LBJ. Notice a trend?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    PS- Casey was one of the two Democrats for whom I have voted in my lifetime- he'd make a great Senator (that is, if Sen. Santorum becomes unavailable due to being in the Executive Branch).
    I think you voted for his father?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't mind Spector - except for his "single bullet theory" from his Warren Commission days. He thinks for himself, a trait not often found on the right side of the aisle.

Santorum is way out of the mainstream. His actions lately show that he has lost touch with the values of the average American and Pennsylvanian. I think Casey can win, but it would be helpful if a scandal broke that he is having an affair with Curt Wheldon(R-PA).:D
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet....

Did you leak this info to the Philly papers? Just kidding.
    Any way, you are right regarding Santorum not representing his consituency. Here in Lebanon County..."Leppp none" for the PA Dutchies (Kum wonst naw!) I overheard a group of 20 older ladies express their displeasure in the intervention of Terry Schiavo. I had to conceal my laughter because Dems are out numbered 2-1.

Several announced to the others their dismay in George Bush and then Santorum. They said they have been Republicans all their lives and are offended by their attitudes. They said we have to live with Bush but by they will do everything possible to vote for some one else for Senator.

By the way the last friendly optician Governor here in PA was Bob Casey... May he rest in peace. Young Casey....go get 'em.

I would vote for Arnold though as President. Pete, can you get him on the ticket? By the way I am sick of the taxes here in my school district. Tired of supporting athletic fifedoms. You want your kid to play sports.....pay for them. Get back to academics for a brighter future.

Thread Information