Thread: Hey, what glasses do the stinking rich wear?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Hey, what glasses do the stinking rich wear?

Check these out! I think they are Flexons!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Comrade!

Makes him look like Strelnikov.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    He splerged

Most rich people I know go for basic plastic in a basic frame.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I had a old pair of glasses soldered for the CEO of Encana a couple of months ago, I think he made 9 million in bonuses last year.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it, and if it is get it soldered.:)
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    He splerged

Most rich people I know go for basic plastic in a basic frame.
    After they drive up in their Jag, and carry their Luois V handbag, and drip with diamonds....
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Gates was on the cover of Fortune Magazine a few months back wearing some Lindberg titaniums. I'm guessing he might buy more than one at a time.

Of course, the guy down at the local Mercedes dealer probably says the same thing.

Occupation
    Actually, the richest guy in our city is our customer. He is wearing Panamics with D Alize with Transitions. It is in a Stetson frame.

In his case practicality was number one. However, before he had a brutal frame with Adapters with transitions and no AR. Part of the problem is that these people go to the stores and no one ever tries to explain the benefits of the product, and since they do not know them they assume that they do not have the money.

The other part of the problem, I assume, is because a lot of people probably do recognize these guys and girls and try to get them for every cent possible.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    After they drive up in their Jag, and carry their Luois V handbag, and drip with diamonds....
    A friend of mine in Georgetown in DC sold specs to Jack Kent Cooke the owner of the Redskins and a multi-multi-millionaire and he would send his staff in his limo to drop off and pick up for him.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I absolutely hate when someone sends their assistant to pick-up glasses, and then they moan about them not fitting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

my "vent" for the week:

Once, because of a delay in finishing some lenses, my store manager told me to deliver a set of glasses to an attorney while I was on my lunch break. Note, this was not my sale, nor had I anything to do with the edging of the lenses. Boss DID explain that the customer had been angry and he thought I could diffuse any anger better than other staff working that day. :angry:
    I had to drive about 8 miles across town and pay to park in the lot behind the attorney's building, and then locate the right office suite. Once there, I was asked by a receptionist to wait while she paged the attorney, who had ALREADY been notified I was on my way over. When he finally stuck his head out the door of his office to take the glasses, I FELT like saying to him that as an Optician I usually only personally deliver glasses to my friends, so where were we going to lunch???
    Instead I told him (out in the hall where his support staff could hear) that he needed to return soon to the store, where I would be happy to check the fit to insure that the frame was correctly aligned with his facial features.
    I took my time getting lunch and getting back to the store, and made sure that I was reimbursed for the parking, tho I didn't get mileage. I told my boss that I was on the clock the entire time and he didn't try to argue. Gee, after 6 years this still burns me up! :angry:
    I often go out of my way to deliver glasses for elderly or disabled, and sometimes pick up or deliver supplies on my way to and from work, but it is strickly my choice now, .... and gosh, darn, we ARE open long retail hours and if you can't find 10 or 15 minutes in your busy day to run in to pick up your own glasses and get them fitted, maybe you OUGHT to be getting them online or thru the mail!!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    I absolutely hate when someone sends their assistant to pick-up glasses, and then they moan about them not fitting.
    We had the owner of a large Pharmacy franchise has his assistant call us with questions like - How much are glasses? And such vague questions like that.

Eventually he came in. Though he was a jerk at first it worked out quite well. He did end up purchasing a pair of reading and distance glasses with AR, and a pair of Panamics in a Minima with D Alize. Now he is just ordering up a pair of Polarized Panamics in a Bolle Frame.

So sometimes it can be worth it.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We had the owner of a large Pharmacy franchise has his assistant call us with questions like - How much are glasses? And such vague questions like that.

Eventually he came in. Though he was a jerk at first it worked out quite well. He did end up purchasing a pair of reading and distance glasses with AR, and a pair of Panamics in a Minima with D Alize. Now he is just ordering up a pair of Polarized Panamics in a Bolle Frame.

So sometimes it can be worth it.
    Agreed,
    I don't begrudge people for being busy, but I think the final fitting is as important as the initial order. I actually welcome wives and girlfriends preselecting frames for their spouses/partner so their are no surprises/mistakes ;) . It is funny how the biggest jerks initially can turn out to be some of your best clients overall. Patience is definately a virtue in this industry.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Back in the days of subsidised glasses in Britain we regularly had Lords and Ladies at our store who went for the cheapest plastic National Health frames (anyone remember the 524 and 924?). Also when working in a London prescription house 20 years ago you would often hear stories of Arabs turning up in a Rolls Royce to collect their free glasses, claiming to be unemployed.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Edwin Land used to be a customer at Montgomery Frost Lloyd in Boston. In my tenure there, he had a couple of Rx changes and would bring in his old frames (10 or 11 pair in a paper bag) for reglazing, the newest of which might have been a 12 year old Sirmont. In the three years I was there, he never bought a frame! The loss was more than offset however, by the Saudi prince who phoned from the Ritz and bought 2 solid gold Porsche Carrerra's at 3500 a pop.(sight unseen)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    We have a Chiropractor, probably now into his 80's.

He was probably the first chiropractor in our city.

25 years ago he purchased a Nordic Titan Flex, 60 eye in photocromic glass flat tops from us. RX total power is around +6.00.

Over the last 25 years he had gotten the frame replaced randomly here and there with a new from when it breaks and stuff. I think he also got them cut down into a 56 eye 10 years ago.

Now that is cheap.

As a chiropractor that is also stupid. When I see my chiropractor he has a sign on the wall telling you about the weight of this and that and that you should reduce the weight on your back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The chiropractor using his frame over and over makes me think of something my dad did in the last few years before he retired from his last job. Lunch was either bring your own or risk the cafeteria since he worked at a restricted access research facility and it was too far and too much trouble to run into town to the Macs or Wendys. He liked bringing lunch from home. For some reason he started reusing his small brown lunch bag over and over and over, carefully folding it up and bringing it home each evening, until he reported to me that he had one that had lasted over a year. The paper bag he showed me was as soft as velvet or flannel. He was enjoying the challenge of seeing how long he could make it last!
    Maybe that chiropractor was just a recycle nut, or maybe he was someone who cared little for fashion and loved a challenge.

Bad address email on file
    Several years ago I had a gentleman come in and ordered sixteen pairs of glasses. You should never ask someone why they are buying so many pairs of glasses, but I could not restrain myself. His response was that when he reached out he wanted a pair of glasses at his finger tips. He kept a pair at his office, home, plane, boat, briefcase, and one in a shed when he mowed the lawn. I was stunned to find out he mowed his own lawn. A couple of years later he returned to have new lenses put into the sixteen frames and I found out that he had been a CEO at some company and as part of his golden parachute they paid for the cost of the glasses. The only down side was when he came in to have all sixteen pairs of glasses adjusted at one time.:drop:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ken@foothills
    Several years ago I had a gentleman come in and ordered sixteen pairs of glasses. You should never ask someone why they are buying so many pairs of glasses, but I could not restrain myself. His response was that when he reached out he wanted a pair of glasses at his finger tips. He kept a pair at his office, home, plane, boat, briefcase, and one in a shed when he mowed the lawn. I was stunned to find out he mowed his own lawn. A couple of years later he returned to have new lenses put into the sixteen frames and I found out that he had been a CEO at some company and as part of his golden parachute they paid for the cost of the glasses. The only down side was when he came in to have all sixteen pairs of glasses adjusted at one time.:drop:
    All readers?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ken@foothills
    He could have gone this route :D

Bad address email on file
    All readers?
    All progressives!

Thread Information