Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mean old broad

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Angry Mean old broad

Rant: can I just tell you how sick to death I am of the saturation coverage of yet another upper middle class, good looking white girl disappearing? Sure this is tragic, but how many kids disappear, or die in car accidents or of dreadful diseases every day? You have to search for information on genocide in Sudan, but you get 24/7 on this one young Alabama woman. Enough.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of us citizens are worried about our fellow citizens. Others worry about citizens of other countries. Can't Sudan worry about Sudaneze?

The U.S. Government is only obligated to protect it's citizens.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Rather than worry about Sudan (not that it isn't worthy of worry) why not worry about all the lower class American girls and young women who disappear every year? Thousands of inner city girls disappear every year in the US, they don't make it onto the news or into the public consciousness but if a cute little middle class white girl goes missing you certainly know about.

That, more than the potentially skewed political coverage or the focus on ‘trash’ news or the near total lack of international coverage, says volumes about the quality of our news media.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Some of us citizens are worried about our fellow citizens. Others worry about citizens of other countries. Can't Sudan worry about Sudaneze?

Some of us know proper proportion when we see it.

So this is yet another zero sum, huh? One either worries about one's own countrymen, OR one worries about citizens of other countries. Doing both not an option I guess.

Must we wrap the flag around everything?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    Rather than worry about Sudan (not that it isn't worthy of worry) why not worry about all the lower class American girls and young women who disappear every year? Thousands of inner city girls disappear every year in the US, they don't make it onto the news or into the public consciousness but if a cute little middle class white girl goes missing you certainly know about.

That, more than the potentially skewed political coverage or the focus on ‘trash’ news or the near total lack of international coverage, says volumes about the quality of our news media.
    Hear, hear!!!!:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are you worried about our military personnel (fellow citizen) that are being sent to their deaths in Iraq?
    ...Just ask me...

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This brillant girl from Alabama was not very well chaperoned by the 7 adults who accompanied these students.

Just like the celebrity case in California with MJ. Teenagers are not supervised anymore.

Anything can and will happen to them if they are left unprotected.

I hope that not any of you who are parents take your responsibilities this lightly!!

It is a dangerous world out here regardless where you live!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even in this country 18 year olds are more or less adults, and I suspect that in Aruba legal age for everything is about 5 or 6. When does one become responsible for one's own actions. Really girls, most of us went down a few garden paths that could have ended this way long before we graduated high school. She drank too much behaved stupidly and paid a high price.

This is tragic but I don't think anyone else is to blame.

Chip

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "This is tragic but I don't think anyone else is to blame"

Chip- If this would have been my child that I raised for 18 years I intrusted her safety to 7 adults who were supposed to look after my kid. I expected them to be supervised especially in this case senerio when they could get into trouble.

Even in my country 18 year olds are still immature kids and need protection.

I hope this kid is found especially for her parents' sake.

If anyone is to blame the 7 adults were the ones in charge. If they wern't why were they along. JUST FOR THE RIDE!

Even in this country 18 year olds are more or less adults, and I suspect that in Aruba legal age for everything is about 5 or 6. When does one become responsible for one's own actions. Really girls, most of us went down a few garden paths that could have ended this way long before we graduated high school. She drank too much behaved stupidly and paid a high price.

Chip

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She drank too much behaved stupidly and paid a high price.

Chip
    Well I think it is reasonably safe to say that at least one, if not more persons were to blame. Why is it not OK to go anywhere you want anytime you want without fear of this sort of thing happening.Its a sign of a sick society. The person/s responsible should be dealt with in a manner that would make others think before repeating this crime, if in fact there was a crime. The bad news is there will never closure because the sea takes care of all. The worse news is that nothing will make society safe for people of any age.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not know what to say! You are right! Some people are just plain sick! What can we do about it. Good question?

With all the human rights supporters and civil liberties union people out there, it is hard to get JUSTICE when there {so called rights are protected.

I guess the victims just don't count. Again I do not think there is a solution. Best when you are away from home you should play low key!

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    Well I think it is reasonably safe to say that at least one, if not more persons were to blame. Why is it not OK to go anywhere you want anytime you want without fear of this sort of thing happening.Its a sign of a sick society. The person/s responsible should be dealt with in a manner that would make others think before repeating this crime, if in fact there was a crime. The bad news is there will never closure because the sea takes care of all. The worse news is that nothing will make society safe for people of any age.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't mean to imply that the perpetrators of the crime, if there was crime were not to blame, or that that this is not a tragic incident. I did mean to imply that this was a grown (even if recently so) woman. Chaparones should not be needed for same. She could vote, join the army or go out by herself at night. 7 chaparones can't watch 100+ misbehaving kids in a foriegn country bar. If they had desired absolute control they should have sent her to a Baptist camp in the states.

She was a big girl now. If you have ever watched even 10 junior high schoolers on band trip, you know how difficult making sure decorum is maintained. Doing same for young adults with alcohol and other vises available is near impossible.

When I was a youngster in Texas I knew a number of young ladies who were willing to stroll down the beach at night after very brief aquaintances. Of course none of them turned up missing or misstreated but had I been a monster they could have. Whose fault would it be, mommie for letting and 18 year old out at night. There are two standards here: Everyone wants to thing thier little darling is sweet, well behaved and chaste. Well a lot of "young ladies" ain't, especially when they are away from home.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, I knew what you meant, I just got angry thinking the same things you were.When we were kids you could go anywhere without worry. We used to go out for the day, hitchhike on 2 hr jaunts and hitchhike back.Never had a problem. We could go anywhere we wanted. Kids can't do that today and its a gd shame.I look at this case currently on sensational TV and think to myself, what would have been done to this prevert in the 40's and 50's.The trial would have also been a sensation but the sentence would still be being served today. And as far as rehabilitation is concerned, you never would have heard from him even today 50 years later....and there certainly would have been no talk of cutting a new hit record. What have we (society) become in our short lives?Its for this reason I talk about becoming a dual citizen of Ireland. Ireland today is like the US was when I was young. and thats a refreshing change.
    Best to you in Mississippi and its a very pleasant 67 here tonight.

your friend harry
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The young lady could have had an accident, could have been murdered, or could have been abducted, even sold into sex slavery - we may never know.Harry, I think birth control is still illegal in Ireland, so be careful. ;)
    ...Just ask me...

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So even though they are full grown we are to assume they are mature and should know the way of the world!

In a island country, I would play it low key. You are right when they leave home they get drunk, play around etc. The more reason for the chaperones to be on their toes!!! We as parents know this is going to happen.

Like I said before why did they go in the first place? I think so they could have fun! Not to protect 100 kids. My daughter would go to Florida on Spring Break. I expected her to get educated. Have fun etc.

I would have thought her friends would have been with her on this night so they all could have been involved in the fun. It is always safer when you are with a crowd!

So it turns out that this girl is now missing! We hope she is found safe and sound!

I didn't mean to imply that the perpetrators of the crime, if there was crime were not to blame, or that that this is not a tragic incident. I did mean to imply that this was a grown (even if recently so) woman. Chaparones should not be needed for same. She could vote, join the army or go out by herself at night. 7 chaparones can't watch 100+ misbehaving kids in a foriegn country bar. If they had desired absolute control they should have sent her to a Baptist camp in the states.

She was a big girl now. If you have ever watched even 10 junior high schoolers on band trip, you know how difficult making sure decorum is maintained. Doing same for young adults with alcohol and other vises available is near impossible.

When I was a youngster in Texas I knew a number of young ladies who were willing to stroll down the beach at night after very brief aquaintances. Of course none of them turned up missing or misstreated but had I been a monster they could have. Whose fault would it be, mommie for letting and 18 year old out at night. There are two standards here: Everyone wants to thing thier little darling is sweet, well behaved and chaste. Well a lot of "young ladies" ain't, especially when they are away from home.

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now days if momma don't tell a girl the "ways of the world" by 13. Momma done fell down on the job. If you ever saw the videos of what happens if Florida at spring break, I doubt you would send your daughter there. Unless you wanted her to learn the "ways of the world" in a hurry.

Chip

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Girls & Boys!

That is why my girls did not get into trouble. Their papa taught them the ways of the world!

That is why there were no babies before marriage because their papa knew about boys! They were put on pills.

They were well prepared before they went to spring break!

Now days if momma don't tell a girl the "ways of the world" by 13. Momma done fell down on the job. If you ever saw the videos of what happens if Florida at spring break, I doubt you would send your daughter there. Unless you wanted her to learn the "ways of the world" in a hurry.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I just want to know how you prepare your child to enter an environment of uncontrolled booze and drugs and expect them to come away totally unscathed. Papa may have told them about boys – did papa tell them about murderers and rapists? Ain’t no pill for that.

Who’s fault is it if your daughter comes back from spring break knocked up or with a dose of the clap?You go to spring break for just one purpose, to get wasted. (please don't tell me that your child goes to spring break to unwind and enjoy the sun - I ain't that stupid.) Sometimes we have to pay the price for our behavior.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think thats pretty much an over generalization. You can get wasted at home. I really think it has more to do with an "unchaperoned" time away from home.A lot of us did this in college, ususally during spring break. Anyone remember Ft Lauderdale? Does the flick "Where the Boys Are" ring a bell? Thats what spring break was for........I could never afford the trip so I could only listen to barracks talk during the next semester. Lest anyone think it was too innocent, Fort Lauderdale was a great place for a riot too!
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First of all I would never had left my child of either sex go at this age. I worried to death when she spent the summer at the University of Madrid, Spain 2 years ago. She was 21 and ingrained from college life not to let your guard down and always travel in groups. The group she flew with was a national Foriegn Language Studies Program. They told you not to travel in less than 3's, advertise you are an American and never go with the locals. She did get to see many cities in Spain, Barritz, France and Denmark but not alone and always with a group of 6 or more and a chaperone.

The governmnent has a website telling you how to protect yourself regardless of age. The people who organized this trip, chaperones and parents need to take some responsibility in this situation. There are plenty of places to go in the USA and not travel outside at that age. Americans are just getting to lax and live daily with the freedoms we are used to and are at risk in lesser countries.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    We used to go out for the day, hitchhike on 2 hr jaunts and hitchhike back.Never had a problem. We could go anywhere we wanted. Kids can't do that today and its a gd shame.
    This is an interesting perception. I've read a number of articles recently that suggest that there has not been a systematic increase in the number of murdered teens and children since the early 50s. I read another article recently suggesting that if one takes into account the increased frequency in reporting that there hasn't been a significant increase in child molestations over the same time period. I don't know how accurate this reporting is but it is food for thought. I'll see if I can dig up some references.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This young lady must not have been properly educated for a overseas trip. The US Embassy in their latest warning for Americans when traveling abroad has a very detailed instruction guide. For all future trips I would strongly recommend everyone to read it and make necessary precautions.

I have lived in a foreign country many years and I take precautions every day.

Yes I am a man. I had three girls and two boys. We sat them down at a very young age and explained the facts of life to them. We also explained to them what we expected from them. This peer pressure does not apply to them. They do as we tell them not what their friends parents allow their kids to do.

Drugs, drinking etc. is allowed by too many parents not taking the time to invest in the lives of their kids by giving them the proper attention and care that they need to have in this world of murderers and rapists! Mistakes are bound to happen! This is how they learn the ways of the world! Unfortunately this young 18 year old girl was not properly protected and something as happened to her. God forbid!

This is an interesting perception. I've read a number of articles recently that suggest that there has not been a systematic increase in the number of murdered teens and children since the early 50s. I read another article recently suggesting that if one takes into account the increased frequency in reporting that there hasn't been a significant increase in child molestations over the same time period. I don't know how accurate this reporting is but it is food for thought. I'll see if I can dig up some references.

Occupation
    I have to agree with Bev. Why would you let you kid go on a trip like this?

My niece just came back from a senior trip to Rome--chaperones were 1:4 and the kids had to get up for mass every day at 7:30 and bed check was 11 every night. And Rome has educational value! Nonetheless I know my sister didn't sleep well the whole time she was gone.

Nothing against Aruba, but the big things to do are 1) drinking and 2) gambling and drinking. I have seen the mother interviewed and there is something off there.

I think that the number of murders, rapes etc has not risen, it's just more well reported. I remember when I was a kid in the late 50's a local girl disappeared, never found.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree with much said above.

There is evil in this world, and few of us are responsible enough to acknowledge it.

Certainly in this culture of thong underpants and low-rise pants and teenage-sex-worship we are sacrificing our daughters on the altar of promiscuity.

What is not realized is that, far from it being a "freeing, liberating" practice, reduced sexual purity will lead to evil upon evil.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CMH: You left out that nasty old devil, SEX.

Thread Information