Thread: optical school

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

optical school

I had a question. Why isnt there a kind of online or corespondence school on ophthalmic optics? I know that there are some community colleges that offer distance learning for students but not all can qualify (I was told by all of them that I live too far). Couldn't there be something were every week the student recieves formulas and has a list of required reading and must submit work sheets. You know a kind of program that covers the basics and advanced ophthalmic optics. And at the end you can recieve a certificate of completion. I always hear that certain programs like this exist but they tend to be very elusive. I know that there are people here with the know how and means of doing such a thing. I am sure that there would be no shortage of people wanting to take part and I'll bet there would be several companies that would be more than happy to contribute. I would pay anything to take such a course!!

Occupation
    I just wanted to clear up this would not be a course on opticianry (that would require too much hands on supervision to be practicle) but a course in ophthalmic optics.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I plan to offer a similar type of program at www.opticampus.com, but it may be a bit before I have enough spare time to finish it (probably when I get around to taking a vacation this summer). I would be doing this purely for fun, since I don't think too many opticians are interested in that sort of thing.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    OH MY GOSH DARRYL!!!! If you offer a course type thing that would be awsome!
    How would you have it set up? Give me some details man I'm droolin here!! And I think that, and this does not happen often, are wrong about many opticians wanting to learn this. I think that you would have to charge to hire an assistant because the response would be tremendous!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As you know, there are several courses on ophthalmic optics over at OptiCampus, and I plan to add several more in the future. Eventually, I will also seek ABO accreditation for most of them, though ABO approval isn't currently a huge priority for me -- particularly since I don't plan to make a profit with this site (there is already plenty of free or really cheap CE content on the web). The courses themselves would still be available for free, either way. I'm doing this mainly just to share meaningful (as opposed to fluff) ophthalmic optics content with eyecare professionals, which -- as many of you know -- is a hobby of mine. Though it would be nice to eventually make enough to dump back into OptiBoard, since Steve is kind enough to provide web hosting for OptiCampus.

I only work on the site in my free time (weekends and stuff), but I haven't had nearly enough of that over the past year or two, so I haven't finished many of the courses. And, frankly, I haven't seen a great deal of traffic on the site, and I am somewhat reluctant to spend what little spare time I have developing content in which few ECPs may actually find any interest, no matter how well-intentioned I think I am in doing so. Besides, after staring at lens diagrams all day for work, even I get tired of looking at them after work. ;) But, like I said, I have vacation time coming up, so I'll finish a bit more of it then.

My initial plan, formed before my fanciful aspirations became tempered with the reality of knowing how much time and effort it would involve, was to offer a certification of sorts to ECPs who had successfully completed a specific series (or curriculum) of courses on ophthalmic optics. I think I call it a "certificate track in technical optics" or something like that on the site. It would probably include courses on lens design, high-powered lenses, progressive lenses, anisometropia, and so on. In the meantime, I'll just add the occasional content when I can to OptiCampus.

As far as the work goes, most of it is up-front, and involves creating the actual courses and the tests. Everything else is automated (well, except for dropping a certificate in the mail).

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    I can understand your hesitation to focus so much on opticampus. I know any time I have an optics related question for friends and coworkers I get the deep sigh and eye roll. I think once you do create a certification course you will eventually begin to see more and more traffic. I am sure that once many fellow optiboarders see your plans they will be excited and more than willing to take the course. There is only so much that I can learn from the books before I get totally lost. A course like this is what this field NEEDS.

P.S.- Do your self a favor and actually rest and enjoy your vacation!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Congratulations

Darrell,
    I am thrilled to see this. I would enjoy discussing the possibility of turning some of these courses into actual academic credit. Contact me via email and I will do anything I can to assist.

Warren

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, my first priority with OptiCampus is to ensure that it remains a hobby, and doesn't become work. ;)

Best regards,
    Darryl

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In answer to the original question...LOL

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I'm completing three technical certificates from Hillsborough Comm. Collge (www.hccfl.edu). They are all online, and although I drove from my home (about 5 hours away from campus) to take the finals each semester, I believe they are now set up to do all the final exams online as well.
    TITLE OF CERT
    TITLE OF CLASSES REQ.

ATC.OPT (Visual Assesment)
    Low Vision
    Safety and Sports Eyewear
    Refractometry
    Refractometry Lab I
    Refractometry Lab II
    CCC.EYE.TECH (Eye Care Technician)
    Ophthalmic Orientation
    Ophthalmic Lens I
    Ophthalmic Lens II
    Low Vision
    Ophthalmic Lab I
    Ophthalmic Dispensing I
    Ophthalmic Dispensing Lab I
    Anatomy and Physiology of the Eye
    Refractometry
    Refractometry Lab I
    Refractometry Lab II
    Ophthalmic Dispensing II
    Ophthalmic Dispensing Lab II
    Ophthalmic Skills Lab I
    Contact Lens Theory I
    Contact Lens Lab I
    Contact Lens Theory II
    Contact Lens Lab II
    Vision Care Clinical I
    Vision Care Clinical II
    CCC.OPT.LAB.TECH (Ophthalmic Lab Tech)
    Ophthalmic Orientation
    Ophthalmic Lens I
    Ophthalmic Lens II
    Ophthalmic Laboratory I
    Ophthalmic Dispensing I
    Ophthalmic Dispensing Lab I
    Anatomy and Physiology of the Eye
    Contact Lens Theory I
    Vision Care Clinical I
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    All of the opticianry schools are too far for me to drive. I live in Illinois.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

opticampus

Darryl, wonderful idea, if i can be of any assistance at all, please do not hesitate to call me...704-763-9124, or email me

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ditto Harry's response. Do not hesitate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hillsborough has theier program online, as do multiple others. Look at the NFOS web page (www.nfos.org) and look for the online programs.

Occupation
    I have looked at these schools and they have one thing in common...you need to be within driving distance for the tests. Most of the courses are on line but the finals must be done in person. They are WAY too far for me and many others like me to travel.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Proctored Exams

If you contact Hillsborough (Bill Underwood or Laurie Pierce) I think you will find you can have the tests proctored away from campus. It is a common practice, and I know they will do it for you.

Bad address email on file
    First of all i would like to commend you on your efforts to educate opticians...

The web site looks great and is very informative...

like the others i am glad to help in any way possible!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    If you contact Hillsborough (Bill Underwood or Laurie Pierce) I think you will find you can have the tests proctored away from campus. It is a common practice, and I know they will do it for you.
    Do they really do this? This would be great thanks for the info!:cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'll let you guys know once I have some free time to work on it. I'm thinking about taking a vacation in August.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Online Education

Hi OptiDonn,

We customarilly want our students to travel to Tampa for finals, as we are not comfortable not having control over signing off on learning objectives and hands on competencies in person. This has alot to do with accreditation and our own comfort level in granting degrees that state that students can do certain things, w/o ever having personally witnessed the outcomes.

We have make acceptions, however...particularly for military students.

If I know an optical professional in your area, I would feel comfortable delegating proctoring and sign-off.

The other option, is that you "Audit" courses...this means that you do not actually recieve college credit, and therefore would not be required to travel to Tampa for sign-off, you would receive the information and course content. Students who audit courses enroll and pay the same tuition, they are not responsible for the class assignments like homework, midterms and finals.

Please feel free to email me if you would like more info:

lpierce@hccfl.edu

: )

Laurie Pierce

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie
    Hi OptiDonn,

We customarilly want our students to travel to Tampa for finals, as we are not comfortable not having control over signing off on learning objectives and hands on competencies in person. This has alot to do with accreditation and our own comfort level in granting degrees that state that students can do certain things, w/o ever having personally witnessed the outcomes.

We have make acceptions, however...particularly for military students.

If I know an optical professional in your area, I would feel comfortable delegating proctoring and sign-off.

The other option, is that you "Audit" courses...this means that you do not actually recieve college credit, and therefore would not be required to travel to Tampa for sign-off, you would receive the information and course content. Students who audit courses enroll and pay the same tuition, they are not responsible for the class assignments like homework, midterms and finals.

Please feel free to email me if you would like more info:

lpierce@hccfl.edu

Laurie Pierce

If you do not know an optician in my area am I out of luck? Are there any other programs that I can take over the internet?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You can find one .....

Donn,
    She is trying to help.....read what she is saying! Find someone with an appropriate background and get in touch. I know Hillsborough, and they will help you. Laurie and Bill are great folks.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    Donn,
    She is trying to help.....read what she is saying! Find someone with an appropriate background and get in touch. I know Hillsborough, and they will help you. Laurie and Bill are great folks.
    I know you are right. Every one has been very helpful!! I was just wonder if there was not an optician that she could proctor out the exam to is there another another option.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

optician proctor

Hello Again OptiDonn,

Again, auditing is an option.

And, I am friends with the Shamir rep there as well as an AIT rep there...I'll bet they could help us connect with someone. Hopefully you understand the importance of us not simply signing off on stuff and granting degrees without actual hands on knowledge of a persons ability to pass exams and complete hands on competencies and skills completely on their own.

When Internet learning first came out, our college was among the first to jump on this bandwagon. We countered alot of arguments that we would not know "who is actually taking exams", or "if people can really do what they say they can do". Security of quality is an important priority for us.

Laurie

Thread Information