Thread: At what prescription would you recommend wearing corrective lenses?

OptiBoard Novice

At what prescription would you recommend wearing corrective lenses?

Hiya, my prescription for both eyes is -0.5 and with a stigmatism, however, my corrective lenses do not have a stigmatism thing built in them since I only recently found out I have it.

I have glasses and contacts and I was wondering at what prescriptions doctors would recommend wearing a prescription?

I sort of need it when I'm driving at night or I have a really hard time seeing some of the lines.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    I sort of need it when I'm driving at night or I have a really hard time seeing some of the lines.
    Actually you just answered you own question. Slightly myopics feel it even more at night.

Wear you glasses as per you prescription and you'll be a happier person.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-09-2005 at 02:03 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Any properly filled prescription will help you see better, which is a good thing.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ditto

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Do you have insurance? :D

Kidding aside, I'll echo Chris's post, if you feel you need them at that power, wear them.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation

myopic shift

There is a well known phenomenon known as myopic shift which increases myopia at night (by a variable amount - 0.75DS is not unusual). Consequently a low myope that is susceptible to this effect may be significantly handicapped without his Rx. It may be necessary to increase the minus to achieve optimum vision. It is important for night driving that the Rx is checked for variability and adjusted if necessary.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ian....are you an eye doctor? I see you're new...just curious.

Occupation
    Have a look a the speakers forum on this site.
    I approach optics in an entirely different way, one that believes and measures the effects of different visual stimulus on visual and neurological performance (a number of clinical and university trials current) and combines it with Rx (modified or unmodified)to achieve results which would be considered by most as unbelievable. A small but growing number of practices are changing in UK and Ireland.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some people are so stupid that they don't recognise when a medicine or devise is helping them. If you see better or get less fatigued, wear the glasses. If you don't suffer from either of the above don't fool with them.

Occupation

Myopic attitude

All prescriptions have a cost v benefit.
    Apart from financial costs (vision - what price would you pay to see?), the other costs are miniscule.
    So why not see well? Perhaps denial of age is important (cannot see the wrinkles so well in the mirror), perhaps they find it is better to walk around with their eyes screwed up because they think people will find them more attractive ( it certainly helps them find others look better, imagination can be better than seeing), perhaps it is the excrutiating pain potential of spectacles.
    -1.00 will reduce snellen acuity by about 4 lines on the chart, would ANY sane person who could see well accept this reduction in vision? The question should be "If you can see well, what diminution of visuion would be tolerable and safe, taking all factors into account?" If the visual performance (not just acuity) drop is sufficient, a Rx is necessary. When measuring visual performance, acuity is just one factor, there are many more.
    However, I would not like a - 1.00 myope to be driving in a unknown town, cannot see signs until the last minute, is unaware of dangers, is not fully aware of his environment, happily complacent, no, stupid and potentially dangerous.

A blanket statement of when prescribing is necessary shows a lack of understanding of how the visual system works and other associated systems e.g. vestibular, memory, proprioceptive intergrate. If you can't see well enough without a correction, you should wear it, if your brain does not process information adequately without a Rx you should also wear it even if acuity improvement is neglible.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look, I have had patients with Rx's of -10.50 who refused to wear thier glasses, some would even hide the glasses in shrubbery before catching the school buss and put them on at thier return so mommie would think they wore them to school.

Still others changed signifcant others when they got contacts and found out what other looked like.

Is this sane? No but a lot of the things women do (like $200 hair do's, and taking two hours to dress and apply cosmetics) aren't sane. Not that I am not gratefull for thier efforts to look wonderfull.

Chip

Occupation

the stupid (and arrogant) myope

Vision in driving is not a personal choice, you have to be safe. The freedom of the fool who likes to see badly is outweighed by society's right to be protected from his stupidity. Whilst it is the right of anyone to walk around blissfully unaware of the beauties of nature, when they are in command of a vehicle they have a responsibility to their fellow citizens and treat them with respect. To drive a car with poor vision is the act of a criminal.

Rising Star
    wow being -10.5 I cant imagine they would see very much at all without glasses, probably a little worse than 20/1200! They wouldnt be able to count fingers more than about 5 feet either! I can accurately count fingers to about 12' any further and I can guess based on the size of the blur, like 4 or 5=big blur, 1 or 2, small blur so I guess right about half the time. I am like -4.5 to -5 by the way. As for driving, its both illegal and dangerous to drive if your vision is worse than whatever the state laws say. 20/70 for Florida but im 20/400 uncorrected.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    Myoptic33 - I'm -2.75 and -2.25 but I don't always wear correction so your brother might still get by beyond -2.
    That is nuts. How do you see?

It would drive me up the wall.

Rising Star
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    That is nuts. How do you see?

It would drive me up the wall.

Depends what you do. If your home alot you should be fine without glasses. -2.25 diopters in the better eye is 20/100 which is far from being blind. Youd be able to read very easy(45cm near point) use the computer and watch TV(not from 20 feet though lol) Also if your going for a nice walk outside in bright light you can do fine without glasses, its not like youll bump into a tree or get lost. But it depends on the person. Glasses bother some people to the point they would rather go without them even if it means seeing 20/50, 20/70 or even 20/100. Others are very strict and wear glasses even though they can see 20/40 without em, they are like "its all blurry without em" Ive even seen those -1 diopter, 20/40 guys resort to lasik, a bad idea in my opinion. Just wait till your 40

OptiBoard Novice
    My prescription is -1.00 -0.50 x 180 in each eye. I can see well without glasses, only some details at distance are a little blurred but I wore them anyway. Then a couple of years ago, I went to my doc’s office and told her that I was going to wear glasses only for reading and stuff like that. She said I could do whatever I wanted but that if I didn’t wear them, my vision would probably get worse, and that my eye would do an unnecessary effort to see things at distance. She proposed me contacts, and now I wear them every day. Sometimes I do think I’m throwing money out of the window, but then I think that it’s better be cautions than regret it later on, and they do make some difference after all…

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Someone that is 20/100 shouldn't be doing much without some sort of correction. I'm surprised anyone would.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    20/100 is a Snellen fraction.

The Snellen fraction is the test distance/ distance at which target subtends an arc of 5 minutes with 1 minute of detail.

That's about 5/21,600ths or 0.02% of the surface of a sphere, or about 0.1% of your total vertical field of view, or about 0.05% of your total horizontal field of view.

It really should be a measure of resolution, but it's actually a recognition test. That's why some people can "improve" their vision. They get better at recognizing the test letters.

I'd suggest a randomized "Landolt-C" type test. That'd deflate many improving-uncorrected-acuity balloons.

Nonetheless, I don't discount the heretofore not understood cortical processes that may help these people fill in their blurry blanks with perceptual "smoothing", if you will. They may, indeed, feel less and less blurry, but couldn't substantiate it on a rigorous test paradigm.

drk - too technical for me. I'm -2.25 and -2.75 so less than 20/100 then? That''s good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe I'm reading this subject all wrong, I don't know. But, do you really think that because someone an see the big "e" then that's ok or that the person that "feels" comfortable walking aroound with a visual acuity at 20/200 then that's ok?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Myopic,
    Unless you post some credentials, pronto, you are going to get banned for making statements like you just did to the guest. You'd better watch what you say.
    Not banned but I am going to edit and close this thread, although I appear to be a bit late.

We cannot offer medical advice on this forum. Darkness needs to ask their doctor about wearing glasses.

A sphere power with astigmatism? How are we to know darkness isn't a high cyl?

Thread Information