Thread: Howard Dean - I love it

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Howard Dean - I love it

The past few days of statements by Howard Dean have brought me great delight. The Democratic party is truly in deep trouble. Why even the Boston Globe and Barney Frank have come out against him. As soon at Ted Kennedy sobers up he too may have a statement.

I think that Dr. Dean should either write himself another Rx or adjust the dosage of whatever it is that he is taking. No, on second thought . . . keep it up . . . I love it.

Dick
    Last edited by rbaker; 06-09-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

A few slightly below average men

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    The past few days of statements by Howard Dean have brought me great delight. The Democratic party is truly in deep trouble. Why even the Boston Globe and Barney Frank have come out against him. As soon at Ted Kennedy sobers up he too may have a statement.

I think that Dr. Dean should either whit himself another Rx or adjust the dosage of whatever it is that he is taking. No, on second thought . . . keep it up . . . I love it.

Dick
    If you think this is delightful, take a look at this!!! http://www.veteransforcommonsense.or...rticle&ID=3465

Here's something even more side-splitting: reports are coming in that the army is (stop! this is killing me!!) threatening soldiers whose time is about up that if they don't re-up, they will be re-deployed to Iraq. God those Republicans are a barrel of laughs!

Occupation
    chm2023

The influence of any political party or, for that matter, presidential administration on military operational processes is not as great as you seem to think. Yes, recruiters occasionally do whatever that have to do to fill their quotas. Hell, I was assured that I would be Commandant of the Marine Corps as soon as I left Quantico. Don’t worry about these isolated aberrations.

Undeniably, recruitment is a problem today. We do seem to be lacking in our warrior class in this country. I don’t know whether it is another conspiracy of Major League Baseball or the National Education Association but little boys are not growing up like we did back in my day. Try to buy a cap gun for your grandson. Cripes, they don’t play “Tug of War” in the school yard - they play “Tug of Peace.” Competition and responsibility for ones actions are a thing of the past in most children’s lives. How is this generation going to provide the war fighters that we will need in the future?

I hope that the lowering of standards in the article you cited does not come as too big a shock to you. It is the same phenomenon that has lowered the standards on everything else like the SAT’s and the ABO. It is very difficult to find individuals who can write an understandable paragraph or do simple mathematics among the graduates of certain departments of today’s colleges and universities.

But, be of good spirits and look on the bright side. Freedom is on the march. The forces that have placed us in this predicament are on the decline – seemingly led by Doctor Demento, John Dean.

Occupation
    chm2023

But, be of good spirits and look on the bright side. Freedom is on the march. The forces that have placed us in this predicament are on the decline – seemingly led by Doctor Demento, John Dean.
    John Dean worked for Nixon--speaking of Demento. (I should talk, I am getting to the age where when my memory doesn't break down it's a red letter day.)

I was not aware that Howard Dean over-extended our military. I keep forgetting that all that is bad is somehow directly attributable to Clinton/Kennedy/FDR and Dean by extension I guess. (I am waiting for the rationale that the Iraq war is all Clinton's fault. And you can bet your sweet *** come the next election, it will be couched in terms of "fault". Wait til GITMO hits the fan, which it will.)

Look there is one answer to this: D-R-A-F-T. I would not call 5 months of missing quota an "isolated aberration"--and BTW, Mr. lower SAT standards, is this not a redundancy??--but no one has the cajones to acknowledge it. Talk about your fuzzy math.

I know all about the military and its Byzantine dynamics--my late husband retired a full bird--but the notion that the current situation in Iraq has no bearing on recruitment is plain foolishness. It's all well and good to go skipping around singing "Freedom is on the march"--my concern is more prosaic, let's get some actual qualified men to do some actual, as opposed to rhetorical, marching.

PS, if you want you son to grow up to be a man worthy of being a US soldier or sailor, that's your responsibility, not the NEA or MLB. Sorry, no free passes.
    Last edited by chm2023; 06-09-2005 at 11:53 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How is this generation going to provide the war fighters that we will need in the future?
    :idea: How about trying something novel? Like resolving conflict through means other than violence.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agreed we should solve problems without violence. My question is how do you get the insurgents(non-Iraqis)to leave or come to the table of peace? I hope this is the violence you were talking about :p

christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020
    I agreed we should solve problems without violence. My question is how do you get the insurgents(non-Iraqis)to leave or come to the table of peace? I hope this is the violence you were talking about :p

christina
    How about we treat the rest of the world fairly? As an example, if we didn't exploit Middle Eastern countries and their people, and support their ruthless, tyrannical leaders for cheap oil and labor, maybe we'd be less hated. Considering our history, it will now be difficult to deal with the insurgents. If our behavior over the last 100 years had been more win/win oriented, the "bad guys" may have not felt the need for terrorism. If we had not supported Saddam Hussein, maybe his abused people would not be attacking our soldiers and contractors.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/press.htm

It's the good will that you have in the emotional bank that will get you non-violent responses later.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    It sure would be nice if we could all just get along. It sure would be nice if there were:

no war,
    no violence,
    no poverty,
    no injustice,
    no ignorence,
    no crime,
    no cancer.

But the reality is that these things do exist. They are the inate nature of man.

http://patriotfilesannex.org/General_Patton_Message.htm

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation

Check back in a week, I'll have composed myself...

"Ignorence is the inate nature of man."

W couldn't have written it better himself. No, really, he couldn't have.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sure would be nice if we could all just get along. It sure would be nice if there were:

no war,
    no violence,
    no poverty,
    no injustice,
    no ignorence,
    no crime,
    no cancer.

But the reality is that these things do exist. They are the inate nature of man.
    If you don't work to stop them, they'll ALWAYS exist. Wait - is cancer really the inate nature of man?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Yes . . . That is my belief . . . all of these things are intrinsic to mankind - particularly, ignorence. I realize that we would like to think otherwise but nothing that I have experienced shows me otherwise.

I do, however keep an open mind. I try to avoid "contempt prior to investigation." I do continue to seek out the occasional intellect that manages to wriggle up out of the mud. It's just that lately the mud is so deep.

PS. Spexvet - your query is best directed to an oncologist. Your assignment, should you chose to accept it is to make this enquiry and report back to us.

PS: shaubaum - this is proven to me on a daily basis. To the best of my very limited knowledge W never said that. I take full responsibility for the statement. In any case, could you please tell me what W has to do with this. Why do you bring W into this conversation, it just increases you flow of gastric juices and makes you crankier than normal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PS. Spexvet - your query is best directed to an oncologist. Your assignment, should you chose to accept it is to make this enquiry and report back to us.
    Your assertion, your assignment. ;)
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    In any case, could you please tell me what W has to do with this. Why do you bring W into this conversation, it just increases you flow of gastric juices and makes you crankier than normal.
    It actually makes me feel better, though I can't say for sure about any abdominal effects, so I'll have to take your word on that.

I invoke his name because, in its delightful malformation, it is a statement worthy of the Great Miscommunicator himself; you managed to make no fewer than two mistakes in claiming the innateness of ignorance.

And for that I thank you.

Occupation

no war,
    no violence,
    no poverty,
    no injustice,
    no ignorence,
    no crime,
    no cancer.

It's been many, many moons since I studied--alright memorized--my Baltimore catechism, but I believe we were taught that men are "created in the image and likeness of God". He's not gonna like this one little bit!!!:finger: You are in big trouble now!!!!! Hey, is that thunder I hear......:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PS: shaubaum - this is proven to me on a daily basis. To the best of my very limited knowledge W never said that. I take full responsibility for the statement. In any case, could you please tell me what W has to do with this. Why do you bring W into this conversation, it just increases you flow of gastric juices and makes you crankier than normal.
    I don't want to speak for Robert, but I think he noticed that you misspelled "ignorance" and "innate". To use them in the same sentence the way you did must have seemed funny to him, and reminded him of the way W speaks. I don't think he "misunderestimated" you, nor did he think you were "disassembling - that means not tell the truth".

But I'm only guessing what Robert might have been thinking.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I don't want to speak for Robert, but I think he noticed that you misspelled "ignorance" and "innate". To use them in the same sentence the way you did must have seemed funny to him, and reminded him of the way W speaks. I don't think he "misunderestimated" you, nor did he think you were "disassembling - that means not tell the truth".

But I'm only guessing what Robert might have been thinking.

Hmm... strong is The Force with this one.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you go back in history you will find that this part of the world has had a long time at warring with each other and everyone else for that matter!

Iraq was a mistake! There will be no solution. There were no weapons of mass destruction. If he(Bush) would have been in the White House doing his JOB instead of playing at his ranch in Texas listening to the signals and doing something about them 9/11 may have been stopped!!!

Of course, this is after the fact! But still our boys would still be alive today. I am afraid their lives were for naught!

no war,
    no violence,
    no poverty,
    no injustice,
    no ignorence,
    no crime,
    no cancer.

Occupation
    Sorry everyone for the spelling errors. Spelling was always a problem for me and now, as I begin to suffer the ravages of senility I can only ask for your understanding. Hopefully though, the meaning of my message can somehow get through the poor spelling and grammar.

Dick
    www.aerovisiontech.com

Occupation
    Sorry everyone for the spelling errors. Spelling was always a problem for me and now, as I begin to suffer the ravages of senility I can only ask for your understanding. Hopefully though, the meaning of my message can somehow get through the poor spelling and grammar.

Dick
    Of course your message got through.

I could agree with the assertion that man has an innate capacity for all of these things, but to suggest, as you seemed to do, that these things are inevitable strikes me as profoundly sad and inordinately hopeless. Couldn't all of these at least possibly be overcome, eventually?

Perhaps, ignorance is an exception, as I suspect that man will always know less than he does not know. But that's just a measure of how small we are in a universe the size of which we really can't comprehend.

C'mon, bro, keep hope alive! After all, that's what Howard meant when he said,

"YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dick
    www.aerovisiontech.com
    Know problum. Donut sweet it. :bbg:
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information