Thread: Rimless - In my prescription?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Rimless - In my prescription?

My prescription is OU -5.25 (no astigmatism), PD 59. Of course, edge thickness will be present, but I am wondering how thin I can actually get it.

A few questions:

1) Eyesize - Bridge is 19 - How small should I shoot for? Under 48 mm, perhaps? Probably oval in shape? Considerations for decentration?

2) Lens choice - Would there be a huge difference, in resulting edge thickness, between a 1.6 and a 1.67? I'm not a huge fan of poly and will probably stick to plastic. (I will get A/R, as well.) Cost is not TOO much of an issue. However, I do not want to drop the extra dollars, if it will only make a marginal difference.

3) Polished edges? Should I avoid having them rolled, as well?

I really like the Silhouette frames and they are readily available in the local optical shops. Of course, it would probably be best to discuss these questions in person. However, I would like to get at least some idea, before I start searching.

Thanks a bunch!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Talk to your optician

If you want the best go with the 1.67. Then you will feel confident in your choice. A 1.6 will do a great job, a 1.67 will do a better job.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

followup

yes the high index lens would be very nice in a rimless frame. ive edged one today that was a -7.25 in both eyes and it came out wonderful. there's some thickness on the sides but let's just say hi index will make your prescription look like a -2.00 which isnt bad at all.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If you are going with Silhouette, matching frame PD (eyesize + bridge) to anatomical PD will give you no decentration. With a 19mm bridge, you would have to order a 40mm eye lens, that might be a little small. Silhouette does come in 17mm bridges (if it fits well) and the choice of lenses is great. Personally, I would rather see a frame that looked good, was proportionate, and fit well than getting another 0.5mm reduction in edge thickness. So, pick a colour, shape and style you like, order 1.67 with a machine polish (not too shiny, not too flat)(high shine edge polish is awful for reflections) and don't over analyze the thickness, they are what they are. Good luck.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachLover
    My prescription is OU -5.25 (no astigmatism), PD 59. Of course, edge thickness will be present, but I am wondering how thin I can actually get it.

A few questions:

1) Eyesize - Bridge is 19 - How small should I shoot for? Under 48 mm, perhaps? Probably oval in shape? Considerations for decentration?

2) Lens choice - Would there be a huge difference, in resulting edge thickness, between a 1.6 and a 1.67? I'm not a huge fan of poly and will probably stick to plastic. (I will get A/R, as well.) Cost is not TOO much of an issue. However, I do not want to drop the extra dollars, if it will only make a marginal difference.
    from what ive seen with AR/plastic with rimless. if you dont take care of them or are rough with them or leave them in the car on a hot summer day, the AR will peel and maybe crack the lens. if the tech knows what they're doing, you shouldnt have a problem. most techs take this into effect when doing rimless plastic with AR.
    id go with the 1.67 just because about 90% of the time it's in stock in that Rx at the lab. the name of it i believe is : superview 1.67 AR.
    3) Polished edges? Should I avoid having them rolled, as well?

all my customers i polish and roll them just to make them look cosmetically great. if you have them polished, it'll just make it shine really. plus it makes it look cleaner from my point of view. how much are they charging you for the roll and polish? is it a lenscrafters? :hammer:
    i work for the evil empire and regardless of what they paid, i polish and roll all rimless lenses. id get it done just because of the high minus prescription you have. cosmetically it will look better.

I really like the Silhouette frames and they are readily available in the local optical shops. Of course, it would probably be best to discuss these questions in person. However, I would like to get at least some idea, before I start searching.

id check with your optician and steer away from lenscrafter's floor frame stylists. most of the time they dont take the Rx into thought.
    i had an order a few weeks back. it was a safety plastic goggle thing, the Rx for this individual was -5.50 -2.00 / -5.75

the salesgirl sold the parent of the kid the goggles and didnt take into consideration that these goggles only allow a Rx up to -3.00 in them. h:)ll i wasn't even informed. it took me a week to figure out that the goggles weren't going to get great. ive even tried cutting the Rx on different bases and still no go.

anyways the silhouette rimless frame shouldnt be an issue in that Rx you have. just stay away from really tiny rimless frames because you'll look like you are wearing bottlecaps.

Thanks a bunch!
    i hope i gave you some insight from what ive deal with on a dialy basis.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Talk to your optician

If you want the best go with the 1.67. Then you will feel confident in your choice. A 1.6 will do a great job, a 1.67 will do a better job.
    No disrespect intended, but if you want the best, go with HOYA's 1.70 material and Super Hivision. The Super Hivision is about the toughest coating out there.

Full disclosure time: I do work for HOYA.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who rolls the edges on a rimless frame?

Wow, how does this patient know about decentration?

I agree with the above poster, go with the hoya with super high vision. It will look great. And yes, the ar is incredible to say the least.

Thread Information