Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Trivex worth the money?

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Is Trivex worth the money?

If you're doing rimless, is Trivex worth it for improved optics?

Also, which brands of polycarb lenses are your favorites (based on optical quality)?

Thank you.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by uluvbs

Also, which brands of polycarb lenses are your favorites (based on optical quality)?

Thank you.
    I use Airwear Aspheric polycarb.

My lab uses OMS Edgit, so the lenses never crack.

I am quite happy with it and wear it myself.

Bad address email on file
    Thus far trivex has been a great material for drill mounts... i have not had any come back with problems... I love the fact that it is highly impact resistant and has a high abbe value... my favorite poly is definetly Resolution by optima... it is atoric and extremly thin... I have never had a patient complain about it... i do not use it for drill mounts because it will crack, i have seen it happen.

btw, i think airwear is a great product as well.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Value of Trivex

For rimless Trivex is a great product. The costs are much higher than poly however for long term use in a rimless I would prefer Trivex. At this time there is not a lens material on the market for a mid range price that has a higher index of refraction but will not crack around the drill points. My company ICE-TECH has been working on a higher index product, that has the durability for rimless, but it still at least 6 months from being available. We anticipate the costs will be similar to Trivex and we will only have limited availability of this product.

Regards,

Allen Weatherby
    ICE-TECH Lens Technology

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    USE MORE TRIVEX, it's wunnerfull stuff. Hate polycrap.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by uluvbs

Thank you.
    If it sells its worth the money!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up Amen Jacqui!!!!

:cheers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    USE MORE TRIVEX, it's wunnerfull stuff. Hate polycrap.
    The price difference between SV Poly and SV Phoenix (Trivex) is short money. That's a small price to pay for a much better product. Here we go again looking for a reason NOT to use a product that is not available in the "evil chains". Sell poly. If you want to sell what every chain in a 50 mile radius of you sells, go for it.
    When that price shopper leaves with their script and goes into the chain and says "My eye doctor wanted to put me in a material called Trivex" they will tell them "we don't have that but we've got this feather light weight Poly". WAKE UP!!! IT'S TIME TO DIFFERNTIATE!!!!!:angry:
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-07-2005 at 04:38 AM. Reason: remove dollar figure.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Our single vision Phoenix (Trivex) w/ hi-vision lenses retail for more than Nikon 1 w/hcc, so yep it's worth it.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-07-2005 at 04:39 AM. Reason: remove dollar figure.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveD
    :cheers:

The price difference between SV Poly and SV Phoenix (Trivex) is . That's a small price to pay for a much better product. Here we go again looking for a reason NOT to use a product that is not available in the "evil chains". Sell poly. If you want to sell what every chain in a 50 mile radius of you sells, go for it.
    When that price shopper leaves with their script and goes into the chain and says "My eye doctor wanted to put me in a material called Trivex" they will tell them "we don't have that but we've got this feather light weight Poly". WAKE UP!!! IT'S TIME TO DIFFERNTIATE!!!!!:angry:
    Quite a bit of price difference here. A lot more than
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-07-2005 at 04:40 AM. Reason: remove dollar figure.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life

I agree, the trivex is ALOT more than . It is a great product but with everyone talking about abbe value and optics, etc, the thickness of the Trivex doensn't make me want to use it. For higer RX's you want the best abbe value, but Trivex is not an option because of how thick they are. So it is a Catch-22 situation. So I think 'polycrap' as the optiboarder said, is the best in drill type situations, or of course the high index instead of Trivex. Trivex is not a threat to polycarbs or high index lenses. If your RX is a -1.00 spheres, then trivex is a good choice. But if it is -4.00 spheres, then trivex isn't a good choice based on thickness.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-07-2005 at 04:42 AM. Reason: remove dollar figure.

Occupation
    I mean I only do poly with AR, and an AR like Alize, so now it is a big deal, because Trivex is not available stock like that.

So now I have to surface it and everything.

Today I was looking for a polarized brown PAL, but I wanted it in poly, because the guy is rough. So Essilor, Sola, Zeiss, Younger all have it in grey, but not brown. Then I phoned Hoya and they had no polarized PAL in trivex at all.

It really does not help if the lens is not available with the features.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Alternative Lens Material coming soon!

I see you were looking for a polarized trivex PAL. I hope that within 6 months we can offer an excellent alternative to void in the market. We are currently testing our new lens material which we will offer using our new technology to surface, backside AR and mirror coat if requested. In addition we offer our FREE-ICE, super hydrophobic, which must be applied after the lens is edged.

I estimate that this material should be available within 6 months. The index of refraction of this material is 1.62 as we are testing it. This lens drills as good as any other lens material we have tested, including Trivex.

Regards,

Allen Weatherby
    ICE-TECH Lens Technology

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    I see you were looking for a polarized trivex PAL. I hope that within 6 months we can offer an excellent alternative to void in the market. We are currently testing our new lens material which we will offer using our new technology to surface, backside AR and mirror coat if requested. In addition we offer our FREE-ICE, super hydrophobic, which must be applied after the lens is edged.

I estimate that this material should be available within 6 months. The index of refraction of this material is 1.62 as we are testing it. This lens drills as good as any other lens material we have tested, including Trivex.

Regards,

Allen Weatherby
    ICE-TECH Lens Technology
    That is cool and great for the industry. My main problem, I think, was that I was in Canada and do not have as wide as an exposure to materials.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Did some editing this AM....

As you may have noticed, some posts have been edited.Just a reminder to you all to refrain from including wholesale prices in your posts. I know this was innocuous on your part but its best if we leave prices in the office. Thanks from harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

What's the largest % of prescription ranges optical

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    I agree, the trivex is ALOT more than . It is a great product but with everyone talking about abbe value and optics, etc, the thickness of the Trivex doensn't make me want to use it. For higer RX's you want the best abbe value, but Trivex is not an option because of how thick they are. So it is a Catch-22 situation. So I think 'polycrap' as the optiboarder said, is the best in drill type situations, or of course the high index instead of Trivex. Trivex is not a threat to polycarbs or high index lenses. If your RX is a -1.00 spheres, then trivex is a good choice. But if it is -4.00 spheres, then trivex isn't a good choice based on thickness.
    Ryan with all due respect, at -4.00 I don't think poly is a good option either. if you look at the largest percentage of prescriptions in any office, they will fall into the -4.00 to +4.00 range. At either(high end of these ranges) I'd be moving to a 1.60 at the very least. I can't speak for everyone's 1.60 but what we use is totally drillable and warrantied as such. Once again we come back to the differentiation factor. I haven't seen any reply address this issue yet. If I may reccomend a book by Jack Trout called Differentiate or Die, it is not directly about optical, but about business in general.:hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

check around you'll find a better price

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    All I can say on the price issue if you go to a shop around you can get Phoenix (Trivex) finished, uncut and stock (with Hi vision Coating) for not much more than poly. Sorry about the price difference mention, Harry.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dave, Its OK to mention prices, just don't quote them. If you read the posting guidelines quickly you may have missed that part, its easy to do. Our audience is getting larger every day and composed of consumers as well as eyecare professionals.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    All I can say on the price issue if you go to a shop around you can get Phoenix (Trivex) finished, uncut and stock (with Hi vision Coating) for not much more than poly. Sorry about the price difference mention, Harry.
    What about Super Hi?

I do not use Hi, only Super.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Super Hi is not avail on Trans Trivex (I mean Phoenix), only Hi vision.

They have this new top coat (View Protect)...DO NOT EDGE IT. I do all of my edging in house, and never had a prob (Alize, SHV, etc) but that stupid slick top coat Hoya has was the first coating I have had any problem with...It spun like a top. (BTW, yes I use the slip-prevent pads under the leap pads... actually tried two types, one straight from Hoya...It still didn't help a lick).

AA

Occupation
    How is the new Hoya Coating?

How is it different than Super Hi, and how is the cost?

I don't know why no one else uses the anti-slip coating that Alize has

Sorry for getting off track here.

Ryan with all due respect, at -4.00 I don't think poly is a good option either. if you look at the largest percentage of prescriptions in any office, they will fall into the -4.00 to +4.00 range. At either(high end of these ranges) I'd be moving to a 1.60 at the very least. I can't speak for everyone's 1.60 but what we use is totally drillable and warrantied as such. Once again we come back to the differentiation factor. I haven't seen any reply address this issue yet. If I may reccomend a book by Jack Trout called Differentiate or Die, it is not directly about optical, but about business in general.:hammer:
    What is the reasoning for not having a -4.00 sphere in a polycarb? I think with the price concerned consumer, a poly would be the best Value for the $$$ in this RX. Sure a high index would great as well, but alot of times $$$ is an issue. So poly is a good choice. Like it or not, poly is not going anywhere. I understand differentiating from the chains, believe me, I am in a mall location. So I try to differentiate in my frame selection as well.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    What is the reasoning for not having a -4.00 sphere in a polycarb? I think with the price concerned consumer, a poly would be the best Value for the $$$ in this RX. Sure a high index would great as well, but alot of times $$$ is an issue. So poly is a good choice. Like it or not, poly is not going anywhere. I understand differentiating from the chains, believe me, I am in a mall location. So I try to differentiate in my frame selection as well.
    Just to add to what you said, you can be differentiated with poly.

Chains use mostly cheap poly. Use Airwear AS, or Resolution, or something equivalent.

Also, always use a top brand AR.

Most customers have no clue what poly is.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Trivex as another tool

That's kind of our approach to the product. We do prefer it in low power drill mounts. We see a fair amount of pediatric patients and we use it there because of the stock, warranted scratch kote.

To us its just another tool. We hope that what differentiates us from others in our area is the quality and knowledge of our Opticians. We work really hard as a group to stay up on all current product. We actually often calling our labs for prices before they are available.

That's one of the reasons I love this board so much. If there is new product or a good rumor you'll find here first!!

I hope you're all having fun and making money!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok. My goodness, what labs are you guys using that there's that much of a price difference that you don't want to use the lens because of it? There's only a 3-4 dollars difference in the cost between poly and trivex with the lab we use. And the same for another lab we use. Now, I know that some labs will hike up their price because they don't want to sell the lens because it's a pain for them to get. Find someone else then if you're using this type of lab. I mean, you can get it direct form the Hoya lab for almost the same as poly. It's a great lens and not a reason(other than the vsp fullly paid thing) not to use it.

Occupation
    you missed the fact that poly is much easier to get in stock for, and because of that it is much more inexpensive.

Price out a pair of Airwear Aspherics with Alize versus Trivex with Super Hi

Thread Information