Thread: Ask for the trend of optical frame and sunglasses for next year.

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar

Ask for the trend of optical frame and sunglasses for next year.

Hi all.
    I know that there are many professional of optical industry browsing optiboard.
    I would like to ask for the trend of frame for next season. I'm now preparing the sample for the HK Optical fair for coming November. If possible, could you share with me your prediction about the trend of frame? It's important to me and I can design with my partners the style which can attract the buyers.

Also, could you please let me know which material that client often prefer?
    Titanium or acetate or something else? With that information, I can estimate the proportion of the type of frame I will make.

Thank you for all your valuable suggestion.:)

Bad address email on file
    Lawrence, which is your largest customer segment? Wholesalers or retailers?

If you are going for high volume distributors then basic styles at rock bottom prices would prevail (bread and butter frames). For example, thin metal unisex frames.

If you are targeting the more fashion oriented retailers then I would use more acetate because you can add more artistic value to them and have a higher profit margin. From my own experience, Chinese acetate frames are more desirable than Chinese metals.

Also, if you are creating your own brands, the one thing that will make the difference between frames collecting dust in your warehouse or flying out the door is your marketing strategy.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Not so easy..............

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Yau
    .................. I'm now preparing the sample for the HK Optical fair for coming November. If possible, could you share with me your prediction about the trend of frame? It's important to me and I can design with my partners the style which can attract the buyers................
    Lawrence, If you ask retailer on the newest trend, you will not get a proper answer, because the retailer only has a new trend once it is here. As a manufacturer you then follow a trend..............which means you are playing second or the seventh fiddle.

New trends in frames are created by the manufacturer, based on many things out there...............like for example some TV personality suddenly wears a style that is not on the market yet and so forth.

Customers go to a show and find something new and different and will buy it to try it out.............but then you have to get them to stop at your booth.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm going to echo what both Chris and Jason have stated.
    Bread and butter models will almost always move, as long as the price is not outrageous and service/quality hold up. For truly innovative styles your target market shrinks dramatically, the majority of "buyers" and eyeglass wearers do not want to commit to a new line if they are to outrageous or unproven. I recall a conversation with my Silhouette rep after Minimal Art came out with a second batch of colours and Minimal X. He told me when the rep's were first shown the product the overall concensus was it would never take off in Canada because it was too avant-garde for the market. We all know how that ended up. Personally, I would look outside the industry (automotive, textiles, interior design) to get a feeling for what consumers are attracted too. Often the design process in these industries are longer term and can give clues to future trends.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thank you for suggestion.
    In fact, there are many basic style of metal frame in existing collection. I'm sure the price cant be as cheap as that Wengzhou factories offer. I target the customers who look for a high-end product. I will make some special design. Actually, mainly metal frame since it's our strong part. We will show some acetate style.
    Bread and butter <--- is it a fashion brand name?? I havent seen their frame before. Could you please give me some photo of their items.
    I found that Europe country e.g italy can accept avant-garde style but American country seem don't accept. May be it will be changed later.
    I prefer some store chain customer. Since I 'm new, may be they don't stop by my booth! I will be greeting in front of the booth on that period.
    Chris, I like your sentence that trend is created by manufacturer. I hope our company can create a trend. :)

"Bread and butter frames" refers to a basic staple design that is very common. You might call them "steamed rice frames" in China.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper New Deisgner Brand...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    "Bread and butter frames" refers to a basic staple design that is very common. You might call them "steamed rice frames" in China.
    Lawrence.

Now we just invented a new brand name for a new line of designer frames...........

S. Rice designer frames

and you will only pay license fees of 1.5% to the Optiboard

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Lawrence.

Now we just invented a new brand name for a new line of designer frames...........

S. Rice designer frames

and you will only pay license fees of 1.5% to the Optiboard
    I need to pay to Jason or OPtiboard ????

Lawrence, my friend. Can I call you Larry? Mr. Ryser is very generous. I usually take a 5% royalty on new products.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "S. Rice designer eyewear...Go with the grain"

Ok, I want in for 2%, too.

if i suggest another line, lets say, "S. Rice - Hot Pot" , do i get an royalty as well?

Occupation

Blue Jumper You do it.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Yau
    Thank you for all your valuable suggestion.
    Hi Lawrence......................I see you are back again..................remember I told you last year that it is you, the manufacturer who makes the fashion trend and the customers will buy and sell it, if they like it...............or you starr a new trend with the publicity that foes along with it.

Thread Information