Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angry customer...

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry customer...

I would appreciate any help or ideas on how to solve a problem that has recently arisen in one of my optical stores.

My optician sold a pair of bifocal transitions in a semi-rimless frame. After one week he dropped them and they broke at the top of the lens.

We replaced them free of charge.

He came back three months later with the same problem wanting them replaced a second time for free. We said no that it was abuse.

Now he wants to sue us for his abuse and has made threatening remarks.

Has anyone had this kind of a problem.

Help.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Tell him to go ahead and waste his money on a lawyer. He won't get anywhere and alll he'll do is spend money needlessly.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Our warranty covers that stuff, but I do get the odd person like that.

The biggest key is to be nice.

Take a quote from that movie Road House with Patrick Swayze talking to the bouncers:

"If a patron gets in your face and calls you a name, ask him to walk, but do it nicely.
    If he does not walk, walk him, but do it nicely.
    If you cannot walk him alone have another bouncer help you, but do it nicely.
    You will be nice until it is time not to be nice..."

Boy that movie was bad.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have had some similar situations in the past. We replaced them one last time and explained, and put a note in the file, that the next pair will be at full price. We the proceed to explain that any abuse (dog bites, stepping one, run over with lawn equipment, sat on, etc. etc.) will not be covered only manufacturers defects such as warp or bad coating. Lenses do not break on their own something has to happen to them for that to happen and often it is due to the negligence of the patient. We then explian the we are the ones that determine wether it is abuse or not. For the small extra price we pay for keeping them quiet (the cost of lenses) it keeps them out of our hair and prevents them from excessive bad mouthing us to other people. We hate like heck to do it but it does work a majority of the time. Its a tough situation. I hope that something here may help but I'm sure you already considered it.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When faced with such situations, I usually say: "There now do you feel better?"
    Then if the problem can't be resolved "peasefully" for a parting comment, I say: "Glad I could help you vent your spleen if nothing else."

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Before the threats start, I offer to replace the lens at half price. Hopefully, you mark up enough that it doesn't cost you anything, and he'll be happy with that discount.
    Win/win!:cheers:
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Trivex

Bad address email on file
    35OLDGUY, what is your official policy on lenses breaking?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Brock
    Trivex
    Bingo

I recently had a similar situation with a woman, in our office. We remade them at 50% off retail, and offered to make them up in Phoenix at a discounted rate.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Tell him you will do it in a full rim frame for 1/2 off (or do it in Trivex in the same frame) and then call your lab rep and ask for a favor! Then tell him very nicely that is the last time you will be replacing anything on this pair under warranty. Well, acutally since he is being threatening I might tell him to go fly a kite. I tend to go out of my way for friendly people but not help rude threatining people as much. Let us know what happens!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will. If you have been seeing my previous posts you know that I am in business in Guatemala. This man is an employee of the US Embassy here as a criminalogist with the FBI. He has gone befroe our health minister with us in attendance but nothing was resolved. He said he wants his glasses remade for the 3rd time for free. As a consumer he is going to sue us even though he is here on a tourist visa.

Anyone with some knowledge about international law let me know in regard to this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by karen
    Tell him you will do it in a full rim frame for 1/2 off (or do it in Trivex in the same frame) and then call your lab rep and ask for a favor! Then tell him very nicely that is the last time you will be replacing anything on this pair under warranty. Well, acutally since he is being threatening I might tell him to go fly a kite. I tend to go out of my way for friendly people but not help rude threatining people as much. Let us know what happens!

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do not guarantee the lenses. We did the first time trying to keep a customer but he has proven to be abusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    35OLDGUY, what is your official policy on lenses breaking?

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But he got the job done!! I have seen it a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Our warranty covers that stuff, but I do get the odd person like that.

The biggest key is to be nice.

Take a quote from that movie Road House with Patrick Swayze talking to the bouncers:

"If a patron gets in your face and calls you a name, ask him to walk, but do it nicely.
    If he does not walk, walk him, but do it nicely.
    If you cannot walk him alone have another bouncer help you, but do it nicely.
    You will be nice until it is time not to be nice..."

Boy that movie was bad.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    I will. If you have been seeing my previous posts you know that I am in business in Guatemala. This man is an employee of the US Embassy here as a criminalogist with the FBI. He has gone befroe our health minister with us in attendance but nothing was resolved. He said he wants his glasses remade for the 3rd time for free. As a consumer he is going to sue us even though he is here on a tourist visa.

Anyone with some knowledge about international law let me know in regard to this matter.
    Sounds like he is throwing his weight around! Let him figure out how to sue in YOUR country. Bet he won't.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    We do not guarantee the lenses. We did the first time trying to keep a customer but he has proven to be abusive.
    When a customers starts to become abusive, I feel it's best to refuse service until they can act like a human being, it's BS for anyone to be on the recieving end of that.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't you hire one of those Guatamalan Death squads cheap?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Can't you hire one of those Guatamalan Death squads cheap?
    For a price I will take care of it HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! (saying with a cool accent);)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I might contact someone at the Embassy. This is guest of the host country trying to abuse a little bit of power. Foreign Service officers work very hard to keep good relations with local citizens in their host countries.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Abusive customer

Tell him politely "Go ahead make my day" and call the consulate/embassy about this joker. He is abusing his status as an employee of the embassy
    There is a difference between use and abuse of glasses. Eating the replacement of the lenses once is beyond reasonable. Twice is going way above and beyond. Give him a refund and mark the record card DNS...do not service

Ed

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm former US military stationed overseas a few times. A good relationship with the local community is the prime mission.

Incidents with locals makes a permanent black mark on someones record.

Call the embassy and find the officer in charge of local relations and vent, especially let the local affairs officer know about the "sue" threats.

We are very concerned about the "ugly american" stereotype, this individual will be disciplined.

Harry

You'll never see this idiot again

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old guy: I think you're already gone above and beyone the call of duty. I'd try one last thing like the posters above said, offer to remake at 50% off and if he doesn't accept that, then you know you've done all you can. Don't take the abuse, he's way out of line and like the other posters said, he's trying to use his"power" to intimidate you. Dont' fall for it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This may seem like chickening out, but I've done it before and will do it again: I will pay some patients to never come back.

Tell this "gentleman" that you are sorry he's had such a difficult time with your optical, you're sorry you cannot serve his needs, offer to take the glasses back on the spot (hehe) for a full refund.

It's a good solution:
    1.) It makes you look impeccable.
    2.) You take a financial hit, but you cut your losses.
    3.) Your blood pressure goes down, and you can enjoy your life.
    4.) No next time with him. It'd make you sick to see him in a year or two.
    5.) You cannot be litigated against, even if it's just a blathering threat.
    6.) You don't have to go to any extremes, such as writing letters. That just prolongs your misery, and may escalate the situation.
    7.) You have the morally superior position by showing him that decency to fellow human beings supercedes materialism (a lesson he needs to learn).
    8.) If you're not into moral superiority, notice this approach will only frustrate him more, as he has to start the process all over again with another optical (heaven help us, all), and it's unlikely this bully will ever be satisfied, anywhere, and he knows it.

Ironically, once the refund is offered, you are in the position of power; he is playing by your terms. He has to take the refund on the terms YOU dictate, or LEAVE it. You may be suprised by his refusal of the refund, and that now he is appealling to you to do something to help him. At this point you name your terms (like he pays to remake to Trivex at an acceptable fee to you, and no further guarantees) or no deal.

See? People like this are plain abusive to their glasses and their fellow human beings, and are best taught a lesson by offering the other cheek. It's a lot stronger position than at face value.
    Last edited by drk; 05-28-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Genius, Drk! I would do that. But what if he takes the refund and then gets into a car accident because he had to give up his glasses?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Point taken!

Actually, I knew he couldn't give them up, but he would feel negotiating pressure from your offer by having to admit the weakness that he needs glasses, even your "crappy" ones! He knows he would have to drive back to get the refund, more hassle for him. Just another power play you have in your deck that all adds up to negotiating power for you.

Obviously, in this case, that advantage won't be available, as he's not walking into the office confronting you, as it probably began, and ususally does begin.
    Last edited by drk; 05-28-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Genius, Drk! I would do that. But what if he takes the refund and then gets into a car accident because he had to give up his glasses?
    Its not your fault that was his only pair of glasses.

Thread Information