Thread: Help me describe OPTIBOARD!

Occupation
    Optometrist

Help me describe OPTIBOARD!

Hello all,

I would like to solicit your assistance if you would.

Over the last few years, it seems that I was stuck in a rut in regards to my day to day routine. There are too few qualified professionals in our field in our area, and even fewer who can intelligently discuss the various aspects, whether they are legislative, theoretical, etc. When I started in this industry 17 years ago as a wide eyed lad, and a few years later when I studied the subject in college, the optical frontier seemed to be a beckoning challenge. That noble vision quickly evaporated when I realized many of the old principles and ideas I had been taught had been replaced the 'McPoly' commoditization of our industry.

In the few weeks since I've stumbled upon this site, I have been happily reminded that there are in fact others in this field who are passionately dedicated to the preservation and the advancement of their craft/profession/art.

Opticianry is languishing in a state of divided apathy in CT. I would not be suprised to see our license be watered down or even eliminated in the upcoming years.

In our state association we have a newsletter that we publish quarterly. I was wondering if anyone interested could post a few threads to help me describe Optiboard.com to some of the folks in our association in our upcoming newsletter. I think that if a few of the folks who called themselves opticians in this state were to become involved in the dialogues here, they may in fact remember why they decided to become opticians in the first place. Maybe just visiting will open up some opticians eyes to the challenges opticianry faces, and how we as a group need to be more involved and proactive both on a state and national level.

Any help would be appreciated

AA

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Fun, Exciting, Educational

Bad address email on file
    "The Major Reference Point of the optical world."

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A community where professionals from many of the optical fields get together to discuss what we do and how we do it. OptiBoarders come from the manufacturing, retail and supply segments, from independent businesses and large corporations alike. We share stories, vent our frustrations, find out what goes on beyond our little corner of the world, educate each other and learn from each other.

It isn't always pretty but it is always makes you think.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dont forget about the trends. We hear from folks from all over, so if some thing is hot in NY we can expect our patients will be asking for it here in Cincinnati,,,,, in about 12 years..;)
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan

In our state association we have a newsletter that we publish quarterly. I was wondering if anyone interested could post a few threads to help me describe Optiboard.com to some of the folks in our association in our upcoming newsletter. I think that if a few of the folks who called themselves opticians in this state were to become involved in the dialogues here, they may in fact remember why they decided to become opticians in the first place. Maybe just visiting will open up some opticians eyes to the challenges opticianry faces, and how we as a group need to be more involved and proactive both on a state and national level.

Any help would be appreciated

AA

Aarlan -

I think it's a great idea to get the word out about optiboard !! I am happy to see that it has grown to almost 4,000 members (from just over 2,000 members when I first joined years ago).

I was toying with the idea of purchasing some optiboard notecards from the optiboard store (under optical resources) and then sending them out to my friends and various optical shops in the community to try to build awareness.

I think Steve has provided a great service and I appreciate all his hard work.:cheers:

Karen

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    A community where professionals from many of the optical fields get together to discuss what we do and how we do it. OptiBoarders come from the manufacturing, retail and supply segments, from independent businesses and large corporations alike. We share stories, vent our frustrations, find out what goes on beyond our little corner of the world, educate each other and learn from each other.

It isn't always pretty but it is always makes you think.

Jo - this is so well said !! :D it's perfect !!!

Karen

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar
    Resource of optical industry. Opinion exchange centre.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In the few weeks since I've stumbled upon this site, I have been happily reminded that there are in fact others in this field who are passionately dedicated to the preservation and the advancement of their craft/profession/art.
    You have actually answered your own question very well. The participation of members, sometimes right and sometimes wrong, makes this site interesting and worthwile to invest some time on a daily basis.

You don't have to agree with every post, so you shake your head, or go on your keyboard and post your own opinion.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aarlan,

When we mentioned OB in my society's newsletter I asked Steve to write something about OB. Who better than the master himself to talk about his labor of LOVE? He pays for OB mostly from his own pocket, you know!

So send Steve a PM and ask him to send you something.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Cindy, do you have a copy of what I sent you? Here's the only thing I could find:

Started in 1995, OptiBoard has grown into the premier internet site for eyecare professionals worldwide. With almost 4000 registered Members and 97,000 messages, the OptiBoard forums have become the most widely viewed online resource for information in the industry. Included are forums and topics on virtually every aspect of the eyecare industry, including ongoing discussions about the all aspects of the eyecare field and business, the latest industry news, a Marketplace forum for buying and selling equipment and supplies, and a Job Board for help in finding employees or to find a job.

OptiBoard uses the vBulletin forum system which is amazing powerful and flexible. It has a fast search engine that makes it very easy to quickly find information on a specific subject.

In addition to registered Members, many more people, buyers and consumers included, visit and read the forums without registering. Eventually many of these visitors become full Members, helping account for the 5-10 new members that register every day.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've gotta say: there is NO forum like Optiboard. It's entertaining, educational, technologically impressive, and I think an amazing worldwide resource for the healthcare industry.

It's an example of what the cyber age can do. More professional forums should observe and copy what has been built here.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    Cindy, do you have a copy of what I sent you? Here's the only thing I could find:
    Steve,
    Unfortunately, no. I thought I had saved it, but didn't. Sorry.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Optometrist

Many thanks to all who responded

THank you all for your assistance! It is greatly appreciated!!! Now, onto the newsletter!

AA

Thread Information