Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the history lesson. I enjoyed it!

The Kennedy's took advantage of the situation. Seems like many from the old country had a set of values that drove them to success. In our time though many people would say he did not play by the rules of society. Like it said in this article "they made their own rules!"

[QUOTE=jediron1]
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    Just for your information I really think that most people are very stupid!!Including Americans!!! But just for the record I am not making a personal attack on you!! So do not take it personal!! Most people do not understand the politics of this issue!! As far as the Kennedy's if I can remember my history I believe they could have been crooks. But please inform us of the truth!! I would really like to know for sure.

Do you know how the Bush' made their money?

I never took it as a personal, attack maybe you did but I didn't. I was commenting on your demeaning wording. As to where Kennedy got his rich's:
    from:http://homepages.uni-tuebingen.de/st...ann/family.htm

What is the family's goal? The answer to this question is given when we look at Joseph Patrick Kennedy , JFK’s father. Joseph Kennedy, called Joe, was a born businessman and even as a student in school he started a business with one of his friends. They bought a bus and gave tours around Boston. After college Joe got into the bank business. When he was 26 years old he was already the director of his own bank, worked with real estates, invested in the stock market and the booming film industry. But the stock market crash in 1929 was when Joe Kennedy won his riches. As one of the few, he realized just in time that he should sell his shares. When everything was starting up again he was the one who had influence on the stock market and could change things, and he became even richer. A short time after that, Joe Kennedy became the first chairman of the Security and Exchange Commission. By a new law he prohibited the manipulation of stocks, something that he himself had been doing. This aspect shows us an important trait of the Kennedys. A Kennedy does not obey rules or laws- he makes them.

See he was one that saw us STUPID Americans when most everybody lost every thing and he took advantage of a situation and made a profit, seems very familar if you ask me.
    Making a profit off the backs of others.:shiner:

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    chip anderson
    Why leave out the part about Joe Sr. being a bootlegger? Why leave out the part where as ambassador to England, he managed to arrange a kick back on every bottle of Scotch shipped to the U.S.?

It's not like this is a secret, even the history channel did an episode or two on this. It's also not like the reason J.F.K could call on Union and the Mafia's support for his first election was the old man's connections with same from the prohibition liquor business.

Now if your really want to know about some real crooks who held the office some time I will tell you about LBJ.
    :bbg:

Chip I agree, but 35oldguy who resides not in the US considers it his right to disagree with all the US actions even though he does not even live here anymore. He decided that living south of the border where
    the GOOD OLD GREEN BACK WILL GO FURTHER was better than living in the US. I knew all about the boose, how he would collect so much on every import but see 35oldguy doesn't care about that, he doesn't care that there are AA meetings where people are trying to stay sober from the effects of the boose. He does not care that thousands are killed each year by boose ( drunk driving ). Because it was started by a family he likes ( democrats all stick together like liberals they are ) he won't bring a railing accusation against them. :shiner: [/QUOTE]

Sorry but usually I am very conservative!! It depends on the issue!!
    I was not old enough to vote when Kennedy was elected. I am a registered democrat who usually votes for who I think has a better chance of achieving my goals. I believe in a balanced budget!!

As far as AA meetings, if you don't drink you don't put yourself in that position! Same as food. What you put in your mouth is what you are.

I am against drunk drivers. They kill innocent people and usually walk away with a manslaughter charge.

The accusation I made was that I thought the Kennedy's came by their money illegally. Just like the Bush's. I believe they have certain advantages that is not available to other people in business legal or illegal.

As far as the dollar going farther here ummm!! I would say gasoline prices have been higher here for a much longer time than what has been happening in the USA. Since many consumables are imported from other countries I would say the buck does not go as far. What we do get better prices on are products that are grown here. Fruit, Vegatables, etc.

I moved here because of the climate not how far I could stretch the dollar.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    Bush family conspiracy theory

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Bush family conspiracy theory is an umbrella term used to describe various conspiracy theory allegations directed towards the family of President George W. Bush, including the President's brother, Florida Governor Jeb Bush, their brother Neil Bush, their father and former President George H. W. Bush, grandfather Prescott Bush, and great-grandfather George Herbert Walker.

Some allege criminal conspiracies involving United States or multinational corporations, vested interests, US government organizations, and various dictators. While some attach great importance to suggested links which connect individuals and companies, others dismiss some or all of the conspiracy theories as fantasy and claim that these connections are normal for business families and do not imply wrongdoing or malevolence.

I thought this might be of interest. Truth or fantasy who really knows?
    People love conspiracies, usually wildly overblown. The serious money (initially) in the Bush family came from George Herbert Walker, whose daughter married Prescott Bush. He made his bucks in the banking/investment biz. Apparently a lot of questionable dealings, but then again back in those days a lot of fortunes were built in ways that wouldn't stand much scrutiny today. (The Kitty Kelly book on the Bushes talks about all of this. Apparently Prescott's wife was quite a character, very out spoken and adverturous, sounds like a really intriguing woman with a lot of spirit and guts.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MMM YOU GOT IT CHEAP!!! we have £1.00 per litre here (yep thats a Litre) that translates to £70.00 to fill up my Omega (thats about $140 to fill my Opel Catera in American)... now what does a Optician earn in the USA?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    35oldguy said:The accusation I made was that I thought the Kennedy's came by their money illegally. Just like the Bush's. I believe they have certain advantages that is not available to other people in business legal or illegal.

If you did make that accusation it went by the way side because Chip and myself took it the other way. And as far as the GREEN back goes is reference to
    your living south of the border to enjoy the benefits of a high style lifestyle with your hacienda and maids which probable only cost you a few bucks because you chose not to stay in the STATES. Then you go on your ramblings about how we are STUPID Americans, sounds a little Castro-est or should we say Che Guevara! :shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    QDO1
    MMM YOU GOT IT CHEAP!!! we have £1.00 per litre here (yep thats a Litre) that translates to £70.00 to fill up my Omega (thats about $140 to fill my Opel Catera in American)... now what does a Optician earn in the USA?[/QUOTE]

Just saw a quote that the price has dropped from $3.69 gal to $3.19 gal. still high!
    Last edited by jediron1; 01-29-2006 at 08:48 AM.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    35oldguy said:The accusation I made was that I thought the Kennedy's came by their money illegally. Just like the Bush's. I believe they have certain advantages that is not available to other people in business legal or illegal.

If you did make that accusation it went by the way side because Chip and myself took it the other way. And as far as the GREEN back goes is reference to
    your living south of the border to enjoy the benefits of a high style lifestyle with your hacienda and maids which probable only cost you a few bucks because you chose not to stay in the STATES. Then you go on your ramblings about how we are STUPID Americans, sounds a little Castro-est or should we say Che Guevara! :shiner:
    1. Actually the climate is why I am living here in the beginning. Seventy to seventy-five year round. Pretty nice. The beach is an hour away!

2. I met a very nice lady Guatemalan and we married and this is the reason why I choose to continue to live here. She has three very nice children and 6 grandchildren. My wife would like to move to the states but only because it is so dangerous to live here. No police protection, gangs, drugs, mafia you name it.

3. As far as GREEN BACKS I did not bring any with me. I work for a living just like everyone. Our salarys sometimes do not exist due to the extreme poor economic conditions.

4. Maid service we have two days per week for four hours a day.

5. I came to this country because it is paradise!!! The climate, its people, the culture is so much better than what I was accustomed to in the states.

6. Come take a vacation here in Central America. Maybe you too will become enchanted like so many Americans that live here enjoy.

7. For the wealth though you are sadly mistaken! If you come here to maKE MONEY forget it. If you come here to be of service to someone who needs your help to have a better way of life come on. They will welcome you with open arms!

In the United States they have an organization in St. Louis, MO called VOSH! They have a website. If you are interested take a look. This is what brought me to Guatemala!
    Last edited by 35oldguy; 09-21-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just heard a report that they are rationing gasoline in Hattiesburg, MS. I guess in preparation for Rita possibly tearing up Beaumont.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please note, at the time old Joe Kennedy made his money from bootlegging, it was prohibition. Selling Booze was illegal as you could get.

Chip

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes a lot of people who made it big took advantage of situations, legal or not, through networking! Like the skull & bones secret organization that so many of our political figures are members of.

I read where George W. Bush and John Kerry are related. 8th cousins removed. Both are members of this club although publicly they will not discuss the matter.

The Kennedy's I admire somewhat. They found a way to succeed! Legal or not!

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Please note, at the time old Joe Kennedy made his money from bootlegging, it was prohibition. Selling Booze was illegal as you could get.

Chip

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave $3.25

Where are your gas prices at now?? Ours is up and going higher according to today's paper. If the roads were good enough, or if we had decent bike paths, as they do in England, I'd take a bike to work!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have seen a bike path that was, and I am not joking, three feet long, by the side of the road. Why??????

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    I have seen a bike path that was, and I am not joking, three feet long, by the side of the road. Why??????
    My niece and her family live in Lincoln, and they have WONDERFUL bike paths! I guess that the 3' was to avoid a bump in the road - or being county council workers they had to go for a smoke, and forgot to come back!:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A month ago, gas was down to $1.80 in NJ, now it's up to $2.17!
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Last month $2.19, yesterday $2.49

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    $2.69 or thereabouts here in California. I've just stopped looking at the price. Hurts less that way.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    A month ago, gas was down to $1.80 in NJ, now it's up to $2.17!

I have not seen $1.80 in Western N.Y. for over 6 months. A local car wash has the price at $2.38 which is the cheapest in town but the catch is you have to buy the car wash to get that price which is about $.10 lower then any one else.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    now here is a thing for my chums over the pond to chew on...

UK = £0.99 GBP per LITRE (not gallon) = $1.76 a LITRE USD

I filled up my Omega today $£65.00 petrol = $115.26 USD

LPG = £0.39 GBP per Litre - that costs me £27.00 to fill up

(I have 2 tanks) Guess what one I drive around on the most!

So can you US folks quit moaning about gas prices!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    LPG = £0.39 GBP per Litre - that costs me £27.00 to fill up
    I'm curious about driving a gas-fueled vehicle. Does it accelerate as nicely as when you're using gasoline (petrol)? Does a fillup of gas go as many miles as a fillup of gasoline? No pressing reason for this; I just can't pass up a chance to ask a proven man of science ...
    :)

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    I'm curious about driving a gas-fueled vehicle. Does it accelerate as nicely as when you're using gasoline (petrol)? Does a fillup of gas go as many miles as a fillup of gasoline? No pressing reason for this; I just can't pass up a chance to ask a proven man of science ...
    :)
    mmm
    LPG is great, although I might not have the most advanced or smooth conversion in the world

the car is a V6 3L automatic, so power isnt generally a issue with it. A few comments about LPG on this car: idle is a touch lumpy and wandering - the car has 2 ignition computers, and the LPG one piggybacks the Std petrol one, they seem to have very slightly different needs in idle so they ping between themselves sometimes. for this reason I flip over to petrol for parking or traffic jams

Over 5 MPH LPG is great, with very slightly reduced power and slightly worse MPG than petrol (like 1-2 MPG worse)... that is based on 29-35 MPG with petrol. If you floor it going up a steep hill and hook up a diagnostic computer, it says it runs weak, and eventually, after 20 seconds or so on flat out - it shows it, so again, I flip over to petrol to do this

To be fair, this car (regardless of LPG) is a pig to service, and the general consensus is that it needs a new set of plugs and leads - for which the right bank is quoted as a 3 hour job! Ask me in a few weeks when it has been done, because some of my grumbles may be unrelated to LPG

I fill LPG up say 20 times to 1 tank of petrol, so basically the car runs on LPG

I used to race cars, and I have no issues with the car being slugish. I would say that LPG ought to be looked into much more seriously. I can accelerate, demand engine breaking, be smooth or aggresive with no problems. Occasionly the slightly different maping trips up the automatic gearbox computer when in sports mode, but to be frank, that isnt a issue, as the box changes slightly late rather than early

In the emmisions test - on petrol the figures for hydrocarbons looked normal, when put on gas, they all go to 0.00 - 0.01%!

Oil comes out cleaner than it goes in!

I would get another one - definatally - I drive a big car for the same price as a small one, and being 6'5 (need a big car seat) thats cool

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The in-laws have a Toyota Prius. It drives like a "real car". If we all eventually went hybrid, it'd be just fine.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Prices are DOWN a nickel here today

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

exxon profits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

record profits of $36 billion anounced today.The highest ever recorded by any company:hammer:
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optispares
    record profits of $36 billion anounced today.The highest ever recorded by any company:hammer:
    That should make the whitehouse happy!
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    That should make the whitehouse happy!
    And don't forget the energy billed just passed with gazillions of tax breaks--"incentives"--for oil companies. Gotta love this version of Republicanism: socialize the risk, privatize the profits.

Bush will have a golden opportunity to speak to the energy dependence issue in his SOTU address. As I have stated ad naseum, what we need is a Manhatten project or moon landing effort--a visionary plan to reduce our dependence on (foreign) oil. Don't hold your breath.

Thread Information