Ceramic nose pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic nose pads

I've a patient that has been unable to tolerate ANY type of nose pad material. Poor thing ends up with blisters no matter the material used. I remember seeing ceramic nose pads but for the life of me, can't remember where. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you can get them from Franel in FL. They also have titanium nose pads.

Comment

adjust.......adjust............adjust

Originally posted by ldyflsh
      I've a patient that has been unable to tolerate ANY type of nose pad material. Poor thing ends up with blisters no matter the material used. I remember seeing ceramic nose pads but for the life of me, can't remember where. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      How about learning to make proper nose pad adjustments ???????????

:D :D :D
      Last edited by Chris Ryser; 05-24-2005, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Chris.....you forgot to put in the smiley!

Its always a good idea to use smiley's when making a comment not to be taken seriously.....of course she adjusted the things.The problem here (I think) is a reaction to the nose pads. Plastic and silicone can be allergenic.The best solution is titanium because it is the lightest weight and non allergenic. Another solution to the problem would be to use trivex/poly lenses, but I am sure the optician has thought of that , probably the first thing the optician thought of.

There used to exist a frame that did not use the nose for support.I fit one about twenty five years ago and can't for the life of me, remember anything about it. I've got a wicked case of somethimer's! :bbg:
        "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
        Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
        www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

As Chris and Harry mention glancingly this may not be an allergic reaction. It's not too uncommon for the elderly (and others but more common among the elderly) to have great sensitivity to any repetitive wear on the skin, facial skin is particularly sensitive. If the various pads you try don't work consider lighter frames and lenses.

Comment

Hilco has Bohemian Crystal nose pads, for a pretty penny. I had to use them one time on a person with silicone and acetate and vinyl allergies, apparently. Did the trick.

Comment

Thanx to all for your helpful suggestions:) I've used the crystal nosepads on many patients with great success, just not on this patient. I deal with elderly patients on a regular basis, and know how thin the skin becomes. (did you know it's more common in women because of estrogen therapy?) I'm going to try the ceramics and see what happens...I'll keep you posted. Thanx again!

Comment

Working...
              X