Thread: Canadian Certification

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Canadian Certification

My husband is Canadian and is very homesick!!! :hammer:He would like to move back to Vancouver, Canada.

I've noticed you have to go to school for atleast 2 years to sit for the Canadian licensing exam. <--is this correct or am I totally wrong?

If this is true, 2 years of schooling, does anyone know of any "online" Canadian Optician programs that will allow me to study via the net?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible for someone with 20 years of dispensing experience to simply challenge for a license?

Thank you for your time and your replies!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Contact the College of Opticians of British Columbia: www.cobc.ca They have information specifically on how to register to work in BC.

The National Association of Canadian Optician Regulators (www.naco.ca) has a section on labour mobility that might help you out too, although I think their focus is more on moving within Canada.

Good Luck! :)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Also, does anyone know if it's possible for someone with 20 years of dispensing experience to simply challenge for a license?
    Yes, as I've spoken to some licensed opticians lately and they tell me this is possible, (am considering it myself). www.doabc.org is the opticians organization for BC.

If you can find work in an optometric practice it is not necessary to be licensed, they have a 10 month paraoptometric program which you take while on the job. Good luck, "eh"!
    Chimperial Optical-what a great place to work!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your reply. Who has the 10 month ParaOpt Program?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It's through the CAO. The optometric assistant course runs from Oct to June. There are 4 modules you take by correspondence and a 3 day workshop in the spring. Check out www.opto.ca/assistants

If it comes down to choosing opticianry licensing or OA certification in your case Snitgirl, my advice would be to go with opticianry. I know it sounds odd coming from me and I am proud to be a certified OA, but I think having the opticianry license gives you more job options and better pay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm
    It's through the CAO. The optometric assistant course runs from Oct to June. There are 4 modules you take by correspondence and a 3 day workshop in the spring. Check out www.opto.ca/assistants

If it comes down to choosing opticianry licensing or OA certification in your case Snitgirl, my advice would be to go with opticianry. I know it sounds odd coming from me and I am proud to be a certified OA, but I think having the opticianry license gives you more job options and better pay.
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You..... for the information. I shall look it up.

P.S. I love Vancouver and I am heading up for a visit (one of many trips I make up there in a year) end of June... I can't wait... Beautiful place !! O hey, Congrats on 2010 Olympics!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by mullo; 05-04-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: removed post

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

BC Optician

Do they give reciprocity for an AAS degree from a COA accredited school here in the States?
    I have students asking about getting licensed in multiple states. I do know that the licensed states all recognize a degree from any COA ophthalmic/opticianary program and alow students to sit for exams based on that. Here in CA we have no AAS program so I advise my students to take core courses ath the local community college and the remainder of the program from one of the distance learning programs that are NFOS members/COA accredited

Ed

Thread Information