Thread: Koran flushings and Saddam in his BVDs, yet....

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Koran flushings and Saddam in his BVDs, yet....

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0520/dailyUpdate.html

Did you ever get the feeling that we are all about trees, not so much about forest?

The administration's Iraq misadventure brings to mind that famous T S Elliot line about not with a bang but a whimper. The media seems to have lost interest, mores the pity for those poor souls stuck there, risking their lives in this futile mess.

And our big concern is Saddam's underwear photo showing up in the newspaper (anyone else notice both rags that ran with this are owned by Murdoch? And him such a patriot....)

Occupation

As usual you are listening to CBS and The Washington Post

Here is just two weeks worth of good news from Iraq. ( don't expect to see any of it in the bias liberal press)

The Dhia Muhsin Example
    A roundup of the past two weeks' good news from Iraq.

BY ARTHUR CHRENKOFF
    Monday, May 23, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

You may remember Dhia Muhsin, a carpenter from the working-class Baghdad neighborhood of al-Dora, who became a celebrity of sorts back in March, when he stood up to insurgents who terrorized his area. In a firefight lasting half an hour Mushin and his nephews killed three of them and forced the rest to retreat.

Well, two months on, Muhsin is still ready to take on any intruders: "I expect them [the insurgents] to come back and I'm ready to face them," says the 33-year old who seems to have inspired his neighbors:

Al-Dora residents had been too scared to face down the insurgents but after seeing Muhsin's bravery, some, it seems, have decided to fight back.

"We are ready to confront any terrorist and the people in the area, after they saw what I did, have become more daring and strong," said Muhsin.

Mudher Khudher, 42, a bakery owner, said he is proud of Muhsin['s] actions and he and others have decided to follow his example, "Dhia taught us that the terrorists are cowards and they can't face all Iraqis." Saleem Barakat, 32, a student, called Muhsin a hero and noted that their street in al-Dora has been quiet since the insurgents were killed.

Al-Dora has not been violence-free since that day in March, but Mushin's example is a very important one for the Iraqi people. Insurgents and terrorists thrive on fear and passivity. They can't win when society turns against them.

This is a lesson that increasing numbers of Iraqis seem to be learning, and it is important more than ever, now that the past two weeks have passed under the shadow of a bloody suicide bombing campaign. This carnage around Iraq has dominated the media coverage, and once again it managed to overshadow most of the positive developments taking place around the country, in security and other areas of life. Below are some of these stories that you might have missed.

Society. The selection of the new government finally reaches completion:

The Iraqi parliament has approved appointments for six cabinet vacancies, handing four more positions to the Sunni Arab minority. . . .

Less than half of the National Assembly, 112 of the 155 legislators present, approved Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari's six nominations on Sunday, including Shia Arab Ibrahim Bahr al-Uloum as oil minister and Sunni military man Saadoun al-Duleimi as defence minister. The other four designated ministers were Hashim Abdul-Rahman al-Shibli, a Sunni, as human rights minister; Mihsin Shlash, a Shia, as electricity minister; Osama al-Nujaifi, a Sunni, as industry minister; and Abed Mutlak al-Jiburi, a Sunni, as a deputy prime minister.

Reflecting an encouraging sentiment, Al-Shibili declined the nomination as Human Rights Minister, saying that "concentrating on sectarian identities leads to divisions in the society and state." As it stands:

The new government, most of which was sworn in last week, includes 17 Shia ministers, eight Kurds, six Sunnis and a Christian. Three deputy premiers have also been named, one each for the Shia, Sunnis and Kurds. A fourth deputy premiership remains vacant; al-Jaafari has said he hopes to appoint a woman to the position.

Here's a list of all the positions.

The main task ahead of the National Assembly is drafting Iraq's new constitution. The Assembly has already set up a 55-member committee to draft the document. In the meantime, Japan has volunteered to invite Iraqi experts to assist with them with the tasks ahead. And the U.S. Agency for International Development (PDF) is contributing:

In support of Iraq's transition to an autonomous democracy, USAID is funding work with Iraqi civil society organizations (CSOs) that will improve their ability to provide input into the constitutional drafting process and the formation of the subsequent government.

Over the past month, one of USAID's partners in the Consortium for Elections and Political Process Strengthening (CEPPS) has conducted several activities. Including assessment trips to monitor the progress of the Regional Democracy Center, work with student organizations, women's groups and nine civic organizations from the mid-Euphrates region establish advocacy campaigns and workshops.

They Initiated the organization of a conference entitled "Gender Equality in the New Iraqi Constitution." Prominent Iraqi women and foreign trainers will hold the conference. They also worked with a women's CSO to develop a detailed three months plan for their involvement with the constitution development process.

More recently (PDF):

USAIDs [sic] partner providing support to the [Transitional National Assembly] officially awarded 20 micro-grants to civil society organizations (CSOs) from South and South Central Iraq. The grants finance projects focused on promoting public awareness in the constitutional process.

Iraqi blogger Mohammed is noticing increasing number of announcements posted on the walls of Sunni mosques in Baghdad, encouraging the faithful to participate in the next election, scheduled for January 2005. Mohammed also reports this:

For the fourth week in a line, the "department of Sunni property" which is an official entity that takes care of Sunni mosques and Sunni heritage has been distributing inquiry forms to the people who attend the Friday prayers as such prayers are usually attended by more people than other week days. The inquiry (or poll) includes four questions:

1-would you like to have a role in drafting the constitution?

2-would you like to participate in the next round of elections?

3-would you prefer to see a unified committee for the Sunni?

4-Are you with the call for joining the Iraqi army and police?

*You can submit any suggestions you have.

The results I could take a look at in Baghdad were as follows:

In "Ghaffar Al-Thunoob" mosque in A'adhamiyah, 273 people filled the forms and 96% of them answered the 4 questions with "yes."

In "Al-Yakeen" mosque in Al-Sha'ab quarter I wasn't able to get the exact number of the people who took the poll but the percentage of those who answered the 4 questions with "yes" was 92%. In "Haj Ahmed Ra'oof" mosque in Al-Baladiyat quarter south east of Baghdad, 95% of those who took the poll answered all the questions with "yes."

In a related development:

The Iraqi Islamic Party, headed by Muhsin Abdul Hameed, has said it regards all acts of violence aimed at Iraqis as crimes of the utmost gravity. The party, which boycotted the January elections, has denounced all kinds of violence, regardless of whether the targets are Sunni, Shia, police, or National Guardsmen. The party called for dialogue instead of violence.

Meanwhile, in the former No. 1 hot spot:
    The first democratically-elected city council of Fallujah held its inaugural meeting . . . at the Civil-Military Operations Center in Fallujah. The 20-member council met for approximately two hours, during which time they elected the chairman, vice chairman and secretary of the council. Imams, sheiks, engineers, lawyers, educators, administrators and businessmen are among those who make up the council.

In another USAID effort:
    [The] Election Violence Education Resolution (EVER) Project is making some inroads into the Sunni-dominated areas north and west of Baghdad. In late March, the project's office in Arbil held trainings for all new Civil Society Organization (CSO) partners, including four from Mosul, four from Tikrit and two from Kirkuk. The Salah ad Din representative of the Independent Election Commission of Iraq (IECI) also attended. In total, 17 people were trained. This represents tremendous progress; in January, Tikrit had no participating CSOs, Kirkuk had only one and Mosul had only two. During the training, all program officers from these locations were present and now feel very united in purpose and comfortable with this northern partnership.

Postliberation Iraq offers unparalleled opportunities for Iraqi media and the arts:

After decades of government censorship and a two-year U.S. occupation, actors, filmmakers and television producers are embracing new artistic freedom to tell stories about Iraqis for an increasingly housebound audience. A dozen new private TV channels are pumping out soap operas, sitcoms, reality shows and dramas. For the first time, Iraqi television is tackling issues of social injustice, government corruption and, on occasion, life under Saddam Hussein.

Another thing unthinkable under Saddam--freedom on the airwaves:

When the host of a radio talk show asked which government department provides the best services in Iraq, an irate listener spoke with frankness unthinkable under Saddam Hussein.

"There are no best services. They are all lousy," she told Uday al-Itawi, host of the popular Good Morning Orange City programme, one of Iraq's few call-in radio shows.

After two years of bloody chaos, some Iraqis are turning to talk radio to let off steam.

There is plenty to complain about, especially in towns like Baquba, a battleground between guerrillas and government and U.S. forces about 50 km (35 miles) north of Baghdad.

The on-air attempt to get official responses to grievances would have been unthinkable before a U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

"The most important thing about this programme is that people can be on the air live, and they can talk directly with officials," Wissam al-Obade, the FM station's manager, told Reuters. While people call radio chat shows around the world, it is a rare freedom for Iraqis who endured years of human rights abuses under Saddam's iron-fisted rule.

This article was shortened because of the 15000 character limit on OB. For the full article go to http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110006724

Iraq clearly has a very long way to go before it reaches peace and normalcy, but throughout the country countless individual Iraqis assisted by the coalition troops and civilians are trying to do their best, often against great odds and in dangerous conditions, to make sure that Iraq gets there. If they succeed, a little monument to Dhia Muhsin might not be a bad idea.

Rep

Occupation
    Nice story. Irrelevant but nice. The administration is already sending up trial balloon thru friendly media--see Bob Novak and Brit Hume--that "hey, we did our part, now it's up to the Iraqis".

I notice a glaring lack of any comment from the actual military in your post.

Let's dry our eyes and look at the reality: the Armed Forces are stretched to their limit and are looking at steadily decreasing enlistment. Iran is stretching its tentacles into Iraq and Afghanistan gets more unstable every week. (Interesting that the Afghanistan president contradicts the WH on the Newsweek controversy--which begs the question, who ya gonna believe, this guy and General Myers, or Bush? If the answer to this question is not immediately obvious to you, consider yourself beyond the pale!)

I do enjoy the pompous reaction the question of Iraq now elicits from the RWPM: "Well I guess you (liberals) must have liked Saddam's mass graves and rape rooms!" Well actually not, but I do like to be given the rationale for war prior to going to war, not in retrospect. But hey, that's me.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

chm 2023:

The "active military" at least the U.S. active military is forbidden from making policy or public statements on policy. Especially that which contradicts orders from higher ups including the President "Commander in Chief" of the United States.

Only "Retired Military" and those active who wish to risk Courts Martial may make such statements to the press.

Don't criticize them for what they are forbidden by law from doing.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    chm 2023:

The "active military" at least the U.S. active military is forbidden from making policy or public statements on policy. Especially that which contradicts orders from higher ups including the President "Commander in Chief" of the United States.

Only "Retired Military" and those active who wish to risk Courts Martial may make such statements to the press.

Don't criticize them for what they are forbidden by law from doing.

Chip
    Chip, I think you misunderstood my comments to Rep: I note his Pollyanna view does not include any situation evaluations from any on ground military, as did the CSM article. A situation evaluation is quite a different thing than a policy critique anyway, field commanders provide the former pretty frequently--I'm sure you recall the press briefings from Iraq from the field brass.

Occupation

You asked for it .......................

Here is just a few............there are so many

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7535

Olie North's - Lots of quotes here - active duty , not retired and paid by the networks lackys. They are still trying to explain how US troops won since they predicted they would not.

Lots of other entire blogs supporting the military

Citizen Smash

The Command Post

Belmont Club

Little Green Footballs One of my favorites

Blackfive

Mudville Gazette

Victor Davis Hanson

Anticipating your next excuse I am posting the following list of News Reporters ( embedded and others) in Iraq that support the mission. They make for some interesting reading.

Annie Sweeney (embed)
    Amy Schlesing (embed)
    Jack Kelly -------------------Read the second article.
    Tim Chavez
    Jules Crittenden
    Joe Galloway

These make for really interesting reading - unless of course you have already made up your mind that the war is lost. ("risking their lives for this futile mess") I always expect you to bash the administration but, how about laying off the troops with back handed comments regarding your heartfelt concern. They are falling on death ears!

What is really pale is your assertion that Newsweek's fake article was not responsible for the riots and deaths that occured. The entire world thinks otherwise.

dream on,

Rep

Occupation
    No, what is really "pale" is me having any sort of discussion with someone who doesn't know what "beyond the pale" means. (Hint: Ireland/Dublin)

My heart felt concern is based on spending 20 years as a military wife. Don't assume you can bully me with this idiot's mantra: if you are critical of the war and the administration, ipso facto you are critical of our troops. It's interesting you identify a list of reporters as ones "that support the mission". Silly me, thinking reporters are supposed to maintain objectivity.

And how do you get to the conclusion that the "entire world" thinks the Newsweek article was responsible for the Afghanistan riots. First, Hamid Karzai does not think so, nor does General Myers. And one would assume they are in a position to know.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/Archi...id=wash%20file

Even the White is backing away:

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/..._id=1000930917

As for me, I think the rioters are responsible for the rioting. Pretty novel idea I admit.

OLLIE NORTH???? Are you serious???? I know people who served with Ollie, and to a man they say he was and is a serious nut case. (I must admit it is hard to not be swayed by his article, especially the part where he says he asked a young corporal how things were going with the training of the Iraqi troops and the kid replied: "Better than I expected Sir". Well there you are...)

PS, there's a website out there where you can order some or those ubiquitous yellow ribbons for your car: "I Support the War More than You Do". Have at it.

PPS Falling on "death ears". I don't even know what that means....deaf ears? But then again given your lengthy response, that doesn't make sense either....
    Last edited by chm2023; 05-25-2005 at 03:20 PM.

Thread Information