Thread: No Election for Canada - For Now...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

No Election for Canada - For Now...

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...047841-cp.html

Cadman calmly saves government

By ALEXANDER PANETTA

Independent MP Chuck Cadman, from Surrey, B.C., speaks to reporters after voting for the government and helping them win a confidence vote in Ottawa Thursday.(CP PHOTO/Fred Chartrand)
    OTTAWA (CP) - In a deep corner of a sweltering, sweaty chamber buzzing with nervous chatter, a lone MP leaned back calmly in his chair chewing bubblegum.

Chuck Cadman for an instant seemed to be the most popular - and powerful - man in the country with a choir to sing his praises. Clapping in unison and warbling in surprisingly good tune, the NDP caucus rose to serenade the Independent MP.

"He's got the whole world in his hands, he's got the whole wide world."

The old gospel anthem represented only a slight exaggeration. At 5:40 p.m., the cancer-stricken B.C. Independent MP merely held the fate of Parliament, the minority Liberal government and the immediate future of federal politics in his hands.

A succession of Conservatives clustered around Cadman's back-row seat to greet him with a handshake or backslap.

But the man of the hour maintained the tranquility of someone who has endured infinitely greater stress.

Cadman boarded a flight to Ottawa just a week after a chemotherapy treatment for skin cancer. He entered politics in 1997 after his 16-year-old son was murdered.

He said he spent an hour napping and only decided how he would vote a half-hour before strolling through the doors of Parliament's Centre Block.

He wore the mantle of the man who would decide the fate of the government lightly.

"I don't worry about things like that," he said.

"Believe me, I honestly don't. I've carried a few weights in my life."

While Cadman serenely worked over a wad of gum in the Commons, across the aisle a man with significantly more at stake in the vote took a sip from the glass of water on his desk.

Prime Minister Paul Martin chortled and exchanged jokes with the colleagues seated around his front-row chair.

He took a peek into the standing-room-only crowd in the gallery, which included some of his own closest aides.

Peering over the balcony from one corner of the gallery was David Herle.

Like hundreds of others in the room Herle - the Liberals' campaign co-chair - would have his immediate future decided by a long-haired former rock guitarist from B.C.

The room fell silent shortly before 6 p.m. It was time for MPs to vote on C-48, an amendment bill to the federal budget.

If it collapsed Martin was to visit the Governor General the following morning, and campaign buses would be rumbling off Parliament Hill by afternoon.

Martin took another sip of water. Cadman continued chewing at a brisk pace.

The Liberals were called by name and they rose one after another in support of the budget. All parties had made sure their MPs were there by counting heads as they walked into the chamber.

Ontario Liberal Peter Adams skipped the vote to make up for Tory MP Darrel Stinson, who is undergoing cancer surgery.

Once the Liberals were all done Carolyn Parrish rose in support of her former colleagues. She was booted from caucus last year after her persistent bashing of U.S. President George W. Bush.

Seated next to her was another former Liberal, David Kilgour, and he remained seated. He had sent out a press release earlier in the afternoon outlining numerous frustrations with the Liberals.

Then it was Cadman's turn.

At 6:02, he unfolded his lanky frame and stood for a long moment, his hands crossed over his belly as a shower of applause rained down on him from the Liberal benches.

Gleeful Liberals shredded sheets of paper and tossed them heavenward.

Grim Tories wore the long faces, slumped shoulders and blank stares of a squad that had just lost in overtime.

Cadman eased back into his chair and pumped the hand of his seatmate, the Bloc Quebecois' Marc Boulianne.

The Liberals swarmed around newly minted Human Resources Minister Belinda Stronach before a single Conservative rose. After being plucked from the Tory bench and catapulted into cabinet, her vote kept the Liberals in power.

The Tories made a brave show of support for Stephen Harper when the Conservative leader cast the first 'nay' vote against the budget. But after Cadman's action, there was no denying the futility of the Conservative opposition.

Conservative MPs bobbed up and down to register no confidence in the government, but tensions slackened instantly. MPs went back to chatting or thumbing messages into their ubiquitous blackberries.

The vote result, a deadlocked 152-152, was read out by the Commons clerk.

"Speaker! Speaker!" the Tories began chanting.

But Commons Speaker Peter Milliken's keen sense of parliamentary history made him the last man who would have broken political convention to vote with the opposition. A few Conservatives laughed scornfully when he said his vote would be blind to partisanship.

"I don't know why the honourable members keep doing this to me," Milliken began balefully. He became the first Speaker to vote in a confidence showdown.

As he began explaining the logic for his vote, a crowd milling outside the Commons door began to cheer.

They could see on TV what everyone inside the sober chamber could discern even before Milliken finished speaking.

The governmenty had - by the narowest possible margin - maintained the confidence of the House of Commons.

A few Tories aimed catcalls at Martin and Stronach.

"What are you gonna do, buy another one?"

The prime minister crossed the floor to shake hands with the most powerful parliamentarian in Canada.

The one still chewing gum while Liberals tossed up papers, Tories fumed and a Speaker propped up a federal government for the first time in Canadian history.
    I am happy.

I wanted to see the results of the Gomery inquiry before an election could be called.

I think Harper is a douche and do not want him running the nation. I also think that if he succeeded in forcing an election that Canadians would of been upset and he would of lost more seats than he currently has.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As a former Canadian resident I'm glad Martin is still in. Really don't like Harper at all.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I don't even know what to think anymore. Yeah Harper's a douche, but Martin is a puppet, either way Canadians don't win. Anyone in Austrailia hiring?
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    I don't even know what to think anymore. Yeah Harper's a douche, but Martin is a puppet, either way Canadians don't win. Anyone in Austrailia hiring?
    What politician out there is not a puppet?

I like what the Liberals have done with Canada. I like what Paul Martin is trying to do and I like the Canadian future under Paul Martin.

I also like the recent growing strength of Jack Layton. I think he is a man, along with his NDP's that will keep Paul Martin and the Liberals focusing on what Canada should be.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Jedi: I'e been thinking about New Zealand, I wonder what they pay down there??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I go back to something I've supported for years:

The Republic of Alberta.
    Shwing

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwing
    I go back to something I've supported for years:

The Republic of Alberta.
    Hear, Hear!

Occupation
    Hear, Hear!
    Fine, you Albertians can leave.

Then you can put Stephen Harper as your leader and Stockwell Day as your Deputy, and Gilles Deceppe as your leader of cultural affairs.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Fine, you Albertians can leave.

Then you can put Stephen Harper as your leader and Stockwell Day as your Deputy, and Gilles Deceppe as your leader of cultural affairs.
    Low blow, just because I think Martin and the Liberals are crooks doesn't mean I think Harper is the solution, just an alternative.

Anyways it would be King Ralph running things here. :D

Occupation
    Low blow, just because I think Martin and the Liberals are crooks doesn't mean I think Harper is the solution, just an alternative.

Anyways it would be King Ralph running things here. :D
    Yeah, he would win in a landslide.

I honestly do not believe Martin was involved in the scandal. Chretien's name has been mentioned, so why not Paul's?

I do believe that Paul is one of the more honest people in Ottawa, because of his history.

I do not like Harper's policies, but I do think some changes are needed to bring Western Canada more into the fold. Stuff like gun laws and such have to have the local areas in mind.

However, I do not think that education, health care, or social causes should be the cost.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life, we all know Ontario is the 'Centre of the Universe'. As the president of the OAA continues to proclaim:
    "I am Ontario (insert chest thumping here)".

In Alberta, we recognized years ago that to accomplish anything in this country, we must make Ontario beleive they invented it or that we can't live without it. The licensing exam is a prime example. Politics another.

I was being glib when I made the comments about the Republic of Alberta, though in the next election, I think you'll see a large spike in votes for the separatist party. Myself, well, I've voted Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative since the inception of the party in 1988.

Got off topic for a sec there. What I support is a Triple E senate and:

http://www.albertaagenda.ca/
    Shwing

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I had to look this up, so perhaps others (especially those of us south of the border) may not know what "triple E Senate" means.

Critics of Canada's current Senate, which is made up of for-life appointees of the prime minister, believe that it should be replaced with a body that is Elected, with Equal representation from each province, and that is a more Effective participant in the legislative process - a Triple 'E' senate.

Occupation
    The problem with equal distribution is Alberta has a much smaller population than Quebec and Ontario. So the decisions would not be made with the people of Canada in mind, but the people of coalitions.

I understand that Ontario holds too much power in Canada, but there are better ways to solve this.

The first way is the way we have been heading, and that is more provincial power. That is why health care, education, and in some instances, policing are being controlled by the province. I think that is a good thing.

Edit - However, I will not be shocked at a strong vote for special interest groups in Alberta. If you feel that you are being neglected then you have to voice your opinion and one of the best ways is to do it through voting.

People say that when you vote for a party like the Green Party you through away your vote. I disagree. By voting for the Green Party you are showing that more and more Canadians care about those issues. If the Green Party votes increase from 3 percent to 10 percent in two elections then the other parties will take a more green appeal.

Same will work in Alberta.
    Last edited by For-Life; 05-28-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information