Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Four year degree program

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I wonder if any American State Boards of Registration or the ABO would accept these ABDO courses for either registration or CE credits?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    I wonder if any American State Boards of Registration or the ABO would accept these ABDO courses for either registration or CE credits?
    the course is very comprehensive, the syllabus for each of the years is :

Distance Learning - Course details

1st Year Dispensing Diploma Course

.Sample Syllabus
    The eye and the way it works
    Errors of refraction and their correction
    Refractive index: Laws of refraction
    Laws of reflection
    Critical angle: Total internal reflection
    Refraction at a single curved surface: Vergence
    Refraction: Lens power
    Graphical constructions
    Thin lenses: Conjugate foci
    Thin lenses: Image formation: Magnification
    Effectivity: Compound systems: Step-along
    Sph-cyl lenses: Neutralisation: Sign convention
    Sph-cyl lenses: Transposition
    Sph-cyl lenses: Transposition [continued]
    Toric lenses: Transposition
    Curvature: Lens thickness
    Curvature: Lens measure
    Line foci formation from astigmatic lenses
    Lens media
    Curved mirrors
    Prisms: Dispersion: Colour: UV: IR: Chr. Ab.: Optical density
    Prisms: Minimum deviation
    Ophthalmic prisms: Tangent scale
    Prisms and decentration
    Wave motion: Pinhole camera: Shadows and eclipses
    Photometry
    Spectacle frame measurements
    Frame materials
    Facial measurements
    Frame adjustments
    Practical dispensing
    Compounding and resolving prisms

second year
    Sample Syllabus
    Objectives of Communication
    Communication in Dispensing - oral and written
    Communication in Selling
    The Animal Cell
    Graphical Constructions
    Muscle Tissue & Nerve Supply
    Effectivity
    Central Nervous System
    The Skull & Orbit
    Cardinal Point of Lenses
    The Cornea, Limbus & Sclera
    The Uvea
    Monochromatic Aberrations
    The Retina
    The Aqueous, Vitreous, Lens
    Chromatic Aberration
    The Eyelids, Conjunctiva
    Angular Magnification
    Visual Pathways
    Optical Instruments
    Extrinsic Muscles
    Polarisation
    The Orbital Blood & Nerve Supply
    Interference
    Pathological Conditions
    Diffraction
    Pharmacology, Drugs, Solutions Next course: September 2005
    Application Deadline: 1 September 2005
    Duration: 32 Weeks

third year

Schematic eyes, ametropia
    Revision of basic theory
    Spectacle correction, blurred retinal images
    Cylindrical lenses
    Corrected retinal image sizes, SM, RSM
    The prismatic effects of decentration
    Visual acuity, test-charts, resolution acuity
    Decentrations to produce prismatic effects
    Accommodation & hypermetropia
    Thick lenses
    Accommodation & presbyopia
    The routine eye examination, retinoscopy
    High power lenses
    Subjective refraction
    Fields of view
    Ophthalmoscopes & ophthalmoscopy
    Tinted & protective lenses
    Optometers
    Bifocal lenses
    Visual fields, tonometry
    Purkinje-Sanson images, keratometry
    Multifocal lenses
    Eye movements, accommn. & convergence
    Special lenses
    Normal binocular vision
    Oblique astigmatism, Curvature of field
    Abnormal binocular vision, heterophoria
    Point Focal & Percival Lenses, MT error lenses
    Aspheric Lenses
    Depth perception, retinal receptive fields
    The light sense, induction, intensity coding
    Colour & colour vision, effects of radiation
    SM in thick lenses, aphakia, anisometropia
    Amblyopia, contrast sensitivity
    Occupational vision, glare, flicker, LVA
    Obliquely crossed cyls.
    Ocular astigmatism

I would hope that the US boards would recognise an ABDO diploma holder as being suitable for licencing.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    Good luck on those courses. If I can help, let me know.
    I'm sure that I will be bugging you about some of the math.:bbg:

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    I'm sure that I will be bugging you about some of the math.:bbg:
    that's cool :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Northern Alberta Institute of Technology

We are currently putting the finishing touches on an agreement to bring the NAIT Optical Science programs to the US. This is designed to serve students from states in which there is no program and I encourage you to take a look before you do anything else. the program is soundly designed and a wonderful foundation that will culminate in a degree and will allow for advanced study in Contact Lenses and/or Sight Testing. The link for the program can be found here with other programs offered by NAIT:
    http://www.nait.ca/portal/server.pt/...?CalendarID=93
    Take a look and let me know if you have questions.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    We are currently putting the finishing touches on an agreement to bring the NAIT Optical Science programs to the US. This is designed to serve students from states in which there is no program and I encourage you to take a look before you do anything else. the program is soundly designed and a wonderful foundation that will culminate in a degree and will allow for advanced study in Contact Lenses and/or Sight Testing. The link for the program can be found here with other programs offered by NAIT:
    http://www.nait.ca/portal/server.pt/...?CalendarID=93
    Take a look and let me know if you have questions.
    I have already been in touch with Ian from there and it seems like not much is happening yet. I think from what I have seen of the ABDO its one of the better choices out there.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    The association of british dispensing opticians have helped students all over the world to become qualified through their distance learning programme ABDO qualification is recognised worldwide of being a high standard, indeed in canada the ABDO qualification allows you to refract.

you can check it out at

www.abdo.org.uk:cheers:
    I have worked with both ABDO and NCLE graduates and seen the actual ABDO course.ABDO students learn lots of unneccessary theory and are dumb in practice while opposite is true for American optical course graduate.American courses are less in theory,easy to understand,practical straight to the point.

I would want somebody who is good in practise.

Please see I am not discouraging anyone and I know ABDO courses are recognised world wide.

Occupation
    I have worked with both ABDO and NCLE graduates and seen the actual ABDO course.ABDO students learn lots of unneccessary theory and are dumb in practice while opposite is true for American optical course graduate.American courses are less in theory,easy to understand,practical straight to the point.

Please see I am not discouraging anyone and I know ABDO courses are recognised world wide.
    Graduate I think another name for it is watered down. I wouldn't take a course that dumbs thing down for everyone to understand. I am looking at the course as well. Hey optidonn do they offer any financial aid packages for the course or would it qualify for any?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate

Please see I am not discouraging anyone and I know ABDO courses are
    recognised world wide.
    In the uk dispensing optician is a protected title,no one can dispense children or eye hospital prescriptions unless they are registered DO, also as part of their responsibilities they have to refer to an MD if a patient comes in with a recognisable problem.
    the course is wide ranging and covers a lot of areas you may consider pointless,however the breadth of knowledge gained is priceless in the practice set up, i would also say that virtually all of the biggest and most successful practices employ ABDO graduates.
    I also understand that in Canada ABDO graduates are allowed to carry out refractions due to the depth of their training.I would finish by saying that you can never know enough about your chosen profession

Occupation
    In the uk dispensing optician is a protected title,no one can dispense children or eye hospital prescriptions unless they are registered DO, also as part of their responsibilities they have to refer to an MD if a patient comes in with a recognisable problem.
    the course is wide ranging and covers a lot of areas you may consider pointless,however the breadth of knowledge gained is priceless in the practice set up, i would also say that virtually all of the biggest and most successful practices employ ABDO graduates.
    I also understand that in Canada ABDO graduates are allowed to carry out refractions due to the depth of their training.I would finish by saying that you can never know enough about your chosen profession
    Well said! Learn, learn, learn as much as you can about your profession any way that you can!

Harry I don't think that they have financial aid. I have to take out a student loan but I think that the courses are well worth it.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Can some one from Canada find out from Canadian optical regulatory bodies if ABDO qualification is recognised in Canada to the extent of being allowed to Refract

From what I understand is Canada recognizes North American qualifications only.BUT....I can be wrong, let us clear this out.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    Graduate I think another name for it is watered down. I wouldn't take a course that dumbs thing down for everyone to understand. I am looking at the course as well. Hey optidonn do they offer any financial aid packages for the course or would it qualify for any?
    Harry I have not meant to "watered-down" the course. Fact is anywhere you go with ABDO qualification you gain immediate respected recognition though I am not sure about Canada recognizing ABDO graduates.
    What I mean is I find ABO/NCLE graduates better in practical practise.

Try visiting any UK optical discussion forums and compare it with our mostly North American Optiboard discussion forums and decide yourself where is the cream.

Occupation
    I hold a ABO/NCLE and did not have to apply any where near the scope of knowledge that they have on their sylabus. I don't know how much the ABO/NCLE certifications are worth when they are so easy to get. I work with a complete idiot who passed the ABO. The optical theory is what creates innovations in our field the certifications just create semi competant workers.

Just my opinion
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation

degree level

In UK you can also undertake degree level training (same exams for qualification as ABDO) + post grad study in a number of areas. These include contact lens practice, low vision, lens design, optical management.
    Others (like myself) are in research and development.
    I will be running post grad diploma course next year in the effects of visual stimulus on performance, the level is very high (much higher than standard optometric training - we expect a significant number of students to be optometrists, MD's and psychologists) and I expect virtually everything I will teach to be relevant in practice. I expect anyone on the course to have sufficient background knowledge to enable them to move at a fast pace.

Having a qualification however does not guarantee a good practitioner, it does however show that they have a MINIMUM level of competence in understanding a subject. The difference should be apparent when there is a complex problem, a competent optician should be able to sort it out! But, if they do not have sufficient theoretical knowledge - it will often be impossible. It is so much more difficult for a self taught person to achieve a sufficient breadth of knowledge, possible, but difficult.
    If you want to achieve status in US - you have no alternative - you must aim for the highest possible standards. That means education!

Occupation
    Can some one from Canada find out from Canadian optical regulatory bodies if ABDO qualification is recognised in Canada to the extent of being allowed to Refract

From what I understand is Canada recognizes North American qualifications only.BUT....I can be wrong, let us clear this out.
    I have a colleague in the UK who is moving to canada, and he confirmed that ABDO graduates can carry out refraction in canada, this is not the same as a full blown sight test, my understanding is that in canada a suitably qualified person can carry out a refraction to determine the prescription for spectacles.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HarryChiling
    I hold a ABO/NCLE and did not have to apply any where near the scope of knowledge that they have on their sylabus. I don't know how much the ABO/NCLE certifications are worth when they are so easy to get. I work with a complete idiot who passed the ABO. The optical theory is what creates innovations in our field the certifications just create semi competant workers.

Just my opinion[/QUOTE]

That sylabus looks very much like the Old New York Board that I took. Very difficult but very much needed. Instead we get the MICKEY MOUSE ABO.

I have a colleague in the UK who is moving to canada, and he confirmed that ABDO graduates can carry out refraction in canada, this is not the same as a full blown sight test, my understanding is that in canada a suitably qualified person can carry out a refraction to determine the prescription for spectacles.
    The last time I checked, only a licensed optometrist or physician can prescribe glasses in Canada.

The act of refracting, without prescribing, is in the public domain and can be performed by anyone. But why would you want to refract someone without prescribing? That's like measuring someone's shoe size without selling them a pair of shoes.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    The last time I checked, only a licensed optometrist or physician can prescribe glasses in Canada.

The act of refracting, without prescribing, is in the public domain and can be performed by anyone. But why would you want to refract someone without prescribing? That's like measuring someone's shoe size without selling them a pair of shoes.
    In Alberta and I think BC laws have passed that have allowed Opticians to refract.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    What I mean is I find ABO/NCLE graduates better in practical practise.
    Keep in mind that you don't learn anything or "graduate" from the ABO. It is a certifying body, only. You show up to an ABO exam, answer 100 questions on ophthalmic dispensing, which range in difficulty level from moderate to easy, and receive a certificate in the mail.

Further, many people who take the ABO do so after many years in the business (on average, I would say at least 5 years). Consequently, they will generally have had much more practical experience than a new ABDO graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn
    I just recieved an email from the ABDO and I can take their three year course. And boy it looks like a heck program.
    Donn, Last time I checked into the ABDO's distance program (which admittedly was many years ago), they required you to attend two or three sessions in England. Since I believe that you mentioned that traveling was an issue, you might consider this.

That said, many opticianry programs in Europe, including the programs in the UK and Germany, are top-notch. I have seen much of the coursework from the ABDO's program (after helping a fellow OptiBoarder with her courses), and it is extremely comprehensive and well beyond any program you are likely to see in the US short of an optometry or 4-year ophthalmic technology degree.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    I checked out the web site and there is mention of people residing in the UK and Ireland need to show up for some course work. They said in the email that geographical location is not an issue. I hope this means that I won't have to travel there...I can't afford that. So far as I know I won't have to travel and could do it via phone, fax, internet, etc. Not to sure yet how it will work.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You might send them an e-mail asking for clarification.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Yeah I just did. I realized that I asked if the course was open to some one in the US. I didn't mention if travel was required:hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Yeah I just did. I realized that I asked if the course was open to some one in the US. I didn't mention if travel was required:hammer:
    If you are outside the UK or Ireland then you dont have to attend the block release part of the course,everything can be done at home.

Occupation
    If you are outside the UK or Ireland then you dont have to attend the block release part of the course,everything can be done at home.
    YEAH!!!:)

Occupation
    I just got the confirmation from the ABDO that travel is not required. Classes start next Sept so there is plenty of time to save up!!! Is anyone else out there interested?

Thread Information