Thread: Should the filibuster continue?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Should the filibuster continue?

As I understand it, the filibuster is a tool that helps to ensure that only mainstream nominees are confirmed. Without this mechanism in place, one party can run rough-shod over the other. I think it should remain in place.

The republicans have forgotten how they used it to thwart Clinton nominations.

What the republicans don't seem to realize is that they will not be in power forever. They apparantly don't have the foresight to understand the implications of the nuclear decision, when it will be used against them.

In other words, "President Hillary Clinton congratulates Chief Justice Jesse Jackson on his confirmation to the Supreme Court.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The filibuster is a tool that allows the minority party--or a minority of the Senate irrespective of party I guess--to block legislative action that it opposes passionately. It is to be used judiciously for obvious reasons. The Republicans did not filibuster Clinton's nominees, they didn't have to as they were in the majority. They used another manuever, simply didn't bring the nominees out of committee for a vote. Same s***, different day.

The Republicans blocked more (actual and %) of Clinton's nominees than the Dems have of Bush, though the numbers are in the same ballpark I believe. Checks and balances--but it's funny how each side feigns indignation when they have both acted in the same partisan fashion depending on who has the majority.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    In other words, "President Hillary Clinton congratulates Chief Justice Jesse Jackson on his confirmation to the Supreme Court.
    Oh yeah, now THESE are mainstream politicians... sigh!

I truly hope the Democrats do run Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton for President, because that would practically guarantee the election of Rudolph Giuliani (or whomever wins the GOP nomination).

chm is correct, both sides do the same junk to a sitting admin. Unfortunately, W is probably not as savvy as President Clinton in positioning the other side as "obstructionists" (which he did with aplomb to Speaker Gingrich).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    I truly hope the Democrats do run Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton for President, because that would practically guarantee the election of Rudolph Giuliani (or whomever wins the GOP nomination).
    Rove-Cheney '08! Rudolph isn't conservative enough to win the southern primaries (of course a lot can change in 3 years).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Oh yeah, now THESE are mainstream politicians... sigh!
    Pete,

My point exactly. By eliminating the filibuster, republicans will open the door for something like the above to happen. Can't they grasp that what goes around comes around?
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information