Thread: Have old vinyl record albums you still treasure?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Have old vinyl record albums you still treasure?

If you have a lot of old vinyl record albums that you still like, even though the records are scratched and warped, you may be interested in this laser record player from a Japanese company. It is said to be able to play old records very well, despite the scratches, warping and general wear and tear that accumulate on old vinyl records.

I am not endorsing the product personally. I don't have a lot of the old vinyl records. And I am not going to get one of these laser record players.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Fut...=721206&page=1

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rieseberg:

You are always good at finding extemporainious stuff. About a year ago, I and several friends (including a couple electronics dealers) saw an add for a gaget from Phillips. A box about the size of a home stereo, that : Played, records, CD's, and tapes, this not being so outstanding but it also automaticly cleaned up these and put them on new C.D.'s. I and several electronic dealers called Philliips and up to and including the marketing vice-president they denied having such a product. See if you can find out if such exists.

Chip

Occupation

Philips audio "gadget"

Hello Chip,

I could not find anything like you describe on the U.S. Philips website. I even sent them an Email with your description. But they just sent back their telephone number 1-888-PHILIPS. Here is the website if you would like to see for yourself:

http://www.usa.philips.com/index.html

I also tried a "google" search using keywords from your description. And I did turn up the model numbers of a couple of Philips CD recorders. But they are just CD recorders, not the kind of integrated "gadget" as you describe that could handle records, tapes and CDs in the manner that you describe.

So it seems that I have not been any more fortunate about this than you were.

Regards,
    RInselberg

Occupation
    Optical Retail

an extemporanious reply

"extemporainious" stuff. :finger:
    Last edited by ksquared; 05-06-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Back in '94 or '95 when I was in grad school one of my undergrad students was working on a system like this as his senior design project. His group was never able to get their machine to work, I wonder if he's seen this.

The article ignores the recent 'come back' in vinyl (I actually bought more vinyl recordings than digital last month). I may need one of these, oh wait, it costs 10 grand, maybe I don't need it that much.

Occupation

Whoops!

$10,000. I had no idea it would be that expensive. I thought maybe $2000 or $3000 tops.

Bad address email on file Don Lee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    If you have a lot of old vinyl record albums that you still like, even though the records are scratched and warped, you may be interested in this laser record player from a Japanese company. It is said to be able to play old records very well, despite the scratches, warping and general wear and tear that accumulate on old vinyl records.

I am not endorsing the product personally. I don't have a lot of the old vinyl records. And I am not going to get one of these laser record players.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Fut...=721206&page=1
    That's really cool. I have a nice selection of Jazz and Classical recordings on vinyl. I wonder if it reproduces the tone quality of vinly, which I believe is superior to CD. It's warmer and not digitized like CD. Not that CD is bad.

I have a friend who's transferring my collection to CD. He's amazed that the vinly is in such good shape. A point was always made to NEVER play the recording twice in a 24 hour period and to clean them after use with a disc washer.

BTW I'm a professional musician, double bass and electric bass and retired from optical (part time fill in). I perform mainly classical and jazz, however, I'll play whatever is necessary for $$$. I also arrange music. Recently I've been arranging wedding music for string quartet.

Don

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Rieseberg:

You are always good at finding extemporainious stuff. About a year ago, I and several friends (including a couple electronics dealers) saw an add for a gaget from Phillips. A box about the size of a home stereo, that : Played, records, CD's, and tapes, this not being so outstanding but it also automaticly cleaned up these and put them on new C.D.'s. I and several electronic dealers called Philliips and up to and including the marketing vice-president they denied having such a product. See if you can find out if such exists.
    Chip,

Here's a TEAC
    http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc....t.A/id.3360/.f

It looks great but I have no idea what it sounds like.

Don

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is off topic but is anybody up on the X-M radio? I'm definitely going to get X-M because of the Major League Baseball. The music looks great, too.

Is anybody subscribed? Do you have any suggestions for car, home, and portable (boom box)? Any experiences on what color screen i.e. amber or blue?

Don

Thread Information