Thread: Pure Vision Silicone Hydrogel Contact lens.....

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Pure Vision Silicone Hydrogel Contact lens.....

ROCHESTER, N.Y.--Bausch & Lomb’s (NYSE: BOL) PureVision silicone hydrogel contact lens--withdrawn from the U.S. market following a 2002 court ruling in a patent dispute between B&L and CIBA Vision, the eyecare unit of Novartis (NYSE: NVS)--is going back on sale in the U.S. Following its loss in the court case, B&L transferred manufacturing and shipping of its PureVision CL to its facility in Waterford, Ireland and continued to sell the lens in markets outside the U.S.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good lens.
    The question: is it too late?

2wk S/H lenses are beginning to take over. Monthly CW lenses are going out of vogue.

Will Purevision adapt or be a me too?

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Good lens.
    The question: is it too late?

2wk S/H lenses are beginning to take over. Monthly CW lenses are going out of vogue.

Will Purevision adapt or be a me too?
    It won't be easy but I think Purevision could make a comeback in the U.S. They can use their controversy to get some PR in the industry. The fact that we are discussing the lens here is a sign that the industry will also be discussing it, and hopefully repurchasing it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My understanding is that the current two week silicone hydrogel lenses are not yet approved for extended wear.

Purevision is approved for 30 day extended wear as is the Focus Night and Day.

Harry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    02Optix is approved for 6 day continuous.

Occupation
    Hopefully now that PureVision is back in the U.S. market, there will be a much more consistent supply of the product. Often, when I place an order for patients' supplies, there is a 1-2 week backorder. And diagnostic lenses are scarce; some of the powers I ordered 2-3 months ago are still not available.

Plus, PureVision Toric is coming soon. Since Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism is not approved for EW, PureVision will be the only EW option for toric lens wearers.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    B&L is limiting supply to all accounts in the US on a Rx basis for the next 3-6 months, they claim it is to make the lens available to all accounts. I wonder if they over estimated the demand for the lens.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Pure vision is a great lens. When we could get it here a few years ago, I had no hessitation in prescribing it. I had much fewer complaints with it then I have had with FND, AVAD, and O2O. Plus pure vision is also available in TORIC soon. I was upset at CIBA for taking away my pure vision a few years ago.
    I know I am on board with pure vision.
    Adam Heiner, OD

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm
    Hopefully now that PureVision is back in the U.S. market, there will be a much more consistent supply of the product. Often, when I place an order for patients' supplies, there is a 1-2 week backorder. And diagnostic lenses are scarce; some of the powers I ordered 2-3 months ago are still not available.

Plus, PureVision Toric is coming soon. Since Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism is not approved for EW, PureVision will be the only EW option for toric lens wearers.
    I would not hold your breath for the toric, i have just had a letter from B/L telling me they have had production poblems and suggesting at least a 3 week
    delivery lead time. Its a shame because it is one of the best torics i have ever fitted, the patients love the comfort and enhanced wearing times, as well as this it stabilises extremely well giving good consistent vision.:cheers:
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    While we're on the subject, the Advance for Astigmatism is a thoroughly awesome product from my viewpoint after quite a bit of clinical experience.

My next question is whether the higher Dk, higher modulus, and better wetting surface treated lenses compete well with Vistakon's concept of a "softer" lens. It will be interesting to see which of the two designs have more acceptance to the patient population.

My current thinking is that your average fit goes into Advance product, but the dry eye patient goes into the surface-treated material.

Occupation
    While we're on the subject, the Advance for Astigmatism is a thoroughly awesome product from my viewpoint after quite a bit of clinical experience.

My next question is whether the higher Dk, higher modulus, and better wetting surface treated lenses compete well with Vistakon's concept of a "softer" lens. It will be interesting to see which of the two designs have more acceptance to the patient population.

My current thinking is that your average fit goes into Advance product, but the dry eye patient goes into the surface-treated material.
    DRk if you think the advance is awesome wait till you get your hands on the
    oasys,i have been wearing them, you literally cannott feel them in your eye.
    i have had 6 patients that were on N/Day that i asked to try the oasys, they all wanted to convert after 2 weeks of the trial.
    with it,s more frequent replacement cycle i think this lens will lead to a reduction of CLPU problems.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ikon,
    I've bragged to my Vistakon sales rep that I have overseas connections and heard about the Oasis before he had! He just barely knows about it (or is not letting on).

So, it's an EW lens? A moisture lens? What? The name implies a dry eye product.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

I can relate to your last sentance.

After spending the last two weeks in ProClear Compatibles after a year in Acuvue Advance, I can say that the Advance is extremely comfortable when it first goes in, but after 12 hours or so it really dries out. (for me anyway) I also could tell toward the end of the two week cycle that the comfort level with the Advance decreased. (deposits? I was pretty good about rubbing the lenses even though I had "no rub" solution.) I've been in the ProClears about two weeks, and while the comfort isn't quite where the Advance was, the comfort and visual quality is the same at the end of the day as it was at the beginning.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Ikon,
    I've bragged to my Vistakon sales rep that I have overseas connections and heard about the Oasis before he had! He just barely knows about it (or is not letting on).

My Acuvue rep knows nothing. She is a real ditz.

I asked her last year about the Definity. She not only had no idea what I was talking about, but had no idea that Johnson and Johnson was going into the progressive market.

As for the Advance, pfft.

I like it because it gives customers more oxygen.

I hate it because my customers do not really like it.

I prefer the 02Optix.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    I would not hold your breath for the toric, i have just had a letter from B/L telling me they have had production poblems and suggesting at least a 3 week
    delivery lead time. Its a shame because it is one of the best torics i have ever fitted, the patients love the comfort and enhanced wearing times, as well as this it stabilises extremely well giving good consistent vision.:cheers:
    My docs have been fitting PureVision toric since last August (we were part of the clinical study). Out of the 15 fits we had to do for the study, 13 went with PureVision vs. their previous toric lens. Later on 2 people switched out due to cost. It seems to be a decent lens, but I'm waiting until we've fit more people with AV Advance for Astigmatism before I declare a preference.

Oddly enough, I'm having more trouble with supplies of PureVision sphere. The toric supplies always come in on time.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    My Acuvue rep knows nothing. She is a real ditz.

I asked her last year about the Definity. She not only had no idea what I was talking about, but had no idea that Johnson and Johnson was going into the progressive market.

As for the Advance, pfft.

I like it because it gives customers more oxygen.

I hate it because my customers do not really like it.

I prefer the 02Optix.
    Is this a Canadian trend or something? I haven't been very impressed with J&J in terms of their reps. The rep we had until last fall knew nothing about the eye and couldn't answer any questions that deviated from J&J's promotional material. She left, so then we were without a rep for a few months. Our new rep, who isn't really new since his territory was simply expanded, isn't much better. I had to go to the internet to learn about the Advance for Astigmatism design after he came in to present it because his information on the design made no sense. I asked him about Oasys, and he had no clue what I was talking about.

Maybe I'll throw him for a loop next time I see him and ask about Definity. ;)

And is anyone else just slightly irritated at how long "Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism" is to write or type out??

Occupation
    Ikon,

J&J are selling it as either a weekly continuous wear or 2 weekly flexible wear.
    it is not as stiff as the n/day and feels very comfortable on immediate insertion
    it will certainly benefit dry eyed patients as well as those looking for better comfort from their lenses.

Thread Information