Thread: Jason Carruthers:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Jason Carruthers:

Thought I had seen the name somewhere ... http://www.2020mag.com/index.asp?page=3_453.htm

:)
    LadyEyes, an optical shop catering exclusively to a female clientele, was born. The store has been a hit since it opened its doors a little more than a year ago in Windsor, Ontario in Canada thanks to Carruthers unique way of viewing eyewear through the eyes of his target customers.
    I have to ask you ... how hard was it to make the decision to create your own niche instead of sticking with the traditional optical store concept? How did you get your staff to think in terms of fashion as a core, or are you the staff?

PS - Congratulations on the write up in 20/20!

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    how hard was it to make the decision to create your own niche instead of sticking with the traditional optical store concept?
    Great question. It wasn't a matter of difficulty, it was a matter of necessity. After my first business failed, I knew the only way I could get leverage in the market was to segment it. I personally think the "traditional optical store" is outdated and will eventually become obsolete.

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar
    Do you think will it be a trend of supplying parts of eyewear (temple, tips, front frame) instead of whole product? How do you think about Eyewear with interchangable lens and temple(thinking the structure). It's not a new things. We have a new design of sunglasses with interchange function. Do you think it's a trend that people would like eyewear with interchangeable function?

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSKYINT
    Do you think will it be a trend of supplying parts of eyewear (temple, tips, front frame) instead of whole product? How do you think about Eyewear with interchangable lens and temple(thinking the structure). It's not a new things. We have a new design of sunglasses with interchange function. Do you think it's a trend that people would like eyewear with interchangeable function?
    I don't see it as an opportunity. It sounds more like an unfinished product to me. I would stick with whole frames. If I were you I would be experimenting with a product that has never been marketed before.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Fantastic article. Great idea. Welcome to the boards!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    I don't see it as an opportunity. It sounds more like an unfinished product to me. I would stick with whole frames. If I were you I would be experimenting with a product that has never been marketed before.
    How about making a clear plastic sunglass frame, any shape you think is good. Clear untinted UC absorbing lenses mounted in frame. Different variations in shapes and size.

Sell to optician who can tint frame and lenses in any color desired without taking lenses out of frame, the same color for frame and lenses, in 60 seconds while customer waits. Or he can have the frame tinted an other color than lenses also all in 60 seconds. Never been offered before and optician does not have to have a large stock as he can produce any color in no time. This can be actually be done right now.

edKENdance: "Fantastic article. Great idea. Welcome to the boards!"

Thank you.

Chris Ryser: "How about making a clear plastic sunglass frame, any shape you think is good. Clear untinted UC absorbing lenses mounted in frame. Different variations in shapes and size.

Sell to optician who can tint frame and lenses in any color desired without taking lenses out of frame, the same color for frame and lenses, in 60 seconds while customer waits. Or he can have the frame tinted an other color than lenses also all in 60 seconds."

I think that idea has potential. With the right marketing angle, you could develop a strong niche. It would depend on the optician having tint equip and liking the idea.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    That was you? Wow! good going!:cheers:

Thanks Optidonn.

Occupation

Blue Jumper New Concept .......................

I think that idea has potential. With the right marketing angle, you could develop a strong niche. It would depend on the optician having tint equip and liking the idea.
    Having read up on you and your efforts I got the idea that you are very marketing oriented. If you really think it to be a good idea, go thinking about it some more.

I have the technique and equipment to do it. Another Hong Kong based Optiboard member, frame manufacturer out of Hon Kong is looking for a market for his products. That could make an easy R&D start for something new and revolutionary in optical sunglasses,

I am game. I have done it and know it works. Just looking for some willing and able participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I have the technique and equipment to do it. Another Hong Kong based Optiboard member, frame manufacturer out of Hon Kong is looking for a market for his products. That could make an easy R&D start for something new and revolutionary in optical sunglasses,

I am game. I have done it and know it works. Just looking for some willing and able participants.
    Okay Chris, let's team up with Lawrence Yau and see if we can hash out a global marketing strategy. What resources do you have at your disposal?

Occupation

Blue Jumper What we have and what we dont have .....................

Okay Chris, let's team up with Lawrence Yau and see if we can hash out a global marketing strategy. What resources do you have at your disposal?
    My resources are:

1) a patented tinting process ..........that works for this purpose. We have tried it out already years ago. Continous R&D with government support.

2) the fifth best and most visited optical supplier website on the internet with 14,800 visitors in April and 118,718 hits. I can get the news out very fast as I get top listings everywhere on the net.

Optical magazines are not my friends as I do not advertise anymore. Getting covergae will be hard.

3) Customers: All of the largest lens manufacturers, Major chain in Europe, US Navy an US Army. Distributors in US, Canada, UK and Europe.

What we dont have:

1) Frame manufactruer willing to participate in original R&D, but also would get exclusive contract when project is done.

2) participating retailer, that seriously wants to get involved for frame styl;e suggestions as well as field trial outlet and then as spokesman when project is completed and ready for marketing.

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    My resources are:

1) a patented tinting process ..........that works for this purpose. We have tried it out already years ago. Continous R&D with government support.

2) the fifth best and most visited optical supplier website on the internet with 14,800 visitors in April and 118,718 hits. I can get the news out very fast as I get top listings everywhere on the net.

Optical magazines are not my friends as I do not advertise anymore. Getting covergae will be hard.

3) Customers: All of the largest lens manufacturers, Major chain in Europe, US Navy an US Army. Distributors in US, Canada, UK and Europe.

What we dont have:

1) Frame manufactruer willing to participate in original R&D, but also would get exclusive contract when project is done.

2) participating retailer, that seriously wants to get involved for frame styl;e suggestions as well as field trial outlet and then as spokesman when project is completed and ready for marketing.

I think I can backup in the frame manufacturing. May be we need a detail strategy and how to get started. How can I back up in the project? I need those information to discuss with my partner.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPSKYINT
    I think I can backup in the frame manufacturing. May be we need a detail strategy and how to get started. How can I back up in the project? I need those information to discuss with my partner.
    Lawrence,

You have my private e-mail address. Please use that one. I do not like to discuss any possible project with hundreds of pople looking in. Send me you e-mail address, but by regular e-mail.

Thread Information