Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $10,000 for Schaus' Report

Bad address email on file

$10,000 for Schaus' Report

This month's Optical Prism Magazine featured a brief review of "The World Market For Eyewear", by Mike Schaus. Retail price for a copy of the report is ten large. Among other things, the report predicts that eyewear consumption will actually double from 2000 to 2015. Considering the development of many new refractive surgical techniques, the prediction is quite surprising. Does anyone have an educated opinion as to how this could be?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If it is including developing nations then there is your answer.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Mergers completed....................

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    ......................the report predicts that eyewear consumption will actually double from 2000 to 2015.
    Tha will be no problem as there is an overproduction onlenses and frames already now.

The question is will you guy's and girls be selling any of it. By the 2015 limit the merger craze should have been completed and who knows will be making the sales and profits in the retail end.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    For-Life is correct. The key is the Emerging Eyewear Markets. There are 46 countries that will produce 88% of the net increase in eyewear buyers worldwide between 2000 and 2015.

There are three factors leading to the growth - population growth, ageing and the largest factor is advancing per capita incomes.

As one example, advancing incomes will double the portion of people needing eyewear in Egypt who will be able to afford the purchase - from 20% in 2000 to 40% in 2015. Adding population growth and ageing, the total number of buyers will grow by more than two and a half times in this 15 year period.

By the way, the worldwide growth is projected to increase 79% rather than doubling.

My co-author Dick Chaffin and I were unaware that Optical Prism was doing a story on our study. Jason, I'll PM you my address. Could you please mail me a photocopy.

Mike Schaus

No problem, Mike.

I'm hearing more and more about the globalization of markets, and successful companies must look globally to stay competitive.

If I could just get my hands on a copy of the report, I could open stores in strategic locations and get rich off the trend. It's not a one-page report, is it?

Occupation
    No problem, Mike.

I'm hearing more and more about the globalization of markets, and successful companies must look globally to stay competitive.

If I could just get my hands on a copy of the report, I could open stores in strategic locations and get rich off the trend. It's not a one-page report, is it?
    Globalization is not as easy as you may think.

It took 10 years of research and procedures until McDonald's could enter the Chinese market and two years later McDonald's was booted out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life

It took 10 years of research and procedures until McDonald's could enter the Chinese market and two years later McDonald's was booted out of the country.
    I agree it's not easy but its a lot smarter than staying local and trying to get into other markets, like a lot of companies do.

ie: "We make money on sunglasses in the U.S. - and our research shows that people who wear sunglasses also eat bagels for breakfast - so let's try to get 10% of the bagel market as well."

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation

I was not aware that McDonald's was ever kicked out of China. They do OK here but the top dog in China is KFC for the fast food business.

Going global is not easy as For-Life pointed out. I have been in Asia for many years and have witnessed and experienced their attempts at globalization. I applaud your even considering it though which puts you ahead of most others in our field. Should you have interest in the mainland China market feel free to contact me to discuss.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    Should you have interest in the mainland China market feel free to contact me to discuss.
    Thanks Doc.
    Last edited by Jason Carruthers; 05-23-2005 at 02:28 PM.

Bad address email on file Lawrence Yau's Avatar
    I agree it's not easy but its a lot smarter than staying local and trying to get into other markets, like a lot of companies do.

ie: "We make money on sunglasses in the U.S. - and our research shows that people who wear sunglasses also eat bagels for breakfast - so let's try to get 10% of the bagel market as well."
    That's a great idea. Jason had mentioned opening store. I can tell you a real story for one Hong Kong artist. He opened a store in around 1987. Now he have over 50 stores in Hong Kong and he have just sold the chain stores to one Australia company. He took 15-17 years for this great result.:)

In fact, I notified that this year, many foreign buyer had incread the order quantity. Many factories cant meet the shipdate result in delayed shipment.

In Hong Kong, many people just buy a glasses as a fashion. Seven different glasses from Monday to Sunday. If the Economic is fine, income of people increased and then they can buy extra. For the developing country like africa and India etc, the demand of eye wear will increase.

In the future, who can be the winner in the market. I think no one know.
    If have a right direction and with patience, it's possible for everyone.

Occupation
    I was not aware that McDonald's was ever kicked out of China. They do OK here but the top dog in China is KFC for the fast food business.

Doc
    What happened is that it was positioned in Tiatiemen (spelling) Square. The Chinese government wanted McDonalds to move out of there after only two years, because it wanted to build buildings there. McDonald's ended up taking the government to court. The Chinese government won and was furious with McDonalds over the idea of fungshway (I know I spelled that wrong, but at least people will know how to pronouce it).

Fungshway is the idea that if you do something good for me I will do something good for you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks Doc.

My long-term goal is to be the world's largest eyeglass retailer. I have one test store now and i'm working on another thousand in North America. I would prefer to be 100% franchised.
    They say all journeys must start with your first step. I am not sure how well optical franchising would work in China. It would require an excellent infrastructure and training, etc but could be done. I have seen some optical franchises here but because of poor franchise support the chain went no where.

Doc

Thanks Doc.

My long-term goal is to be the world's largest eyeglass retailer. I have one test store now and i'm working on another thousand in North America. I would prefer to be 100% franchised.
    Jason, may be I give you a sentence.
    " If you have a dream, your goal can be attained" I just translate directly by my words. Hope you understand my meaning.

I also have my long-term goal. That's why I resign and work with my partner.
    In long term, I hope I have my Brand name (high-end frame) sold to many big chain store. In the future, I would like to ask Jason to reserve a space for displaying my products if possible. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    What happened is that it was positioned in Tiatiemen (spelling) Square. The Chinese government wanted McDonalds to move out of there after only two years, because it wanted to build buildings there. McDonald's ended up taking the government to court. The Chinese government won and was furious with McDonalds over the idea of fungshway (I know I spelled that wrong, but at least people will know how to pronouce it).

Fungshway is the idea that if you do something good for me I will do something good for you.
    I know most countries have whats called eminent domain. Its not exclusive to China so it really doesn't make sense why McD took the issue to court nor why they thought they could win.

Doc

They say all journeys must start with your first step. I am not sure how well optical franchising would work in China. It would require an excellent infrastructure and training, etc but could be done. I have seen some optical franchises here but because of poor franchise support the chain went no where.

Doc
    It's very hard to enter china market. Franchising is not work in this moment I think. Do you have any suggestion? Actual, CHina is a potential market.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by impact500
    My co-author Dick Chaffin and I were unaware that Optical Prism was doing a story on our study. Jason, I'll PM you my address. Could you please mail me a photocopy.

Mike Schaus
    Mike,

I'll send you the whole magazine for $10,000. ;)
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    I know most countries have whats called eminent domain. Its not exclusive to China so it really doesn't make sense why McD took the issue to court nor why they thought they could win.

Doc
    Yeah, I should see if I can get the story on here. It was from one of my university text books, but I still have the cd.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think emerging third world markets are going to impact my business. I hope to capture more units by meeting the specialized visual needs of patients. Multiple pairs for sun, computer, gold, crafts, etc. will increase the number of glasses that I sell, even when the buyers aren't increasing.
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Jason: "It's not a one-page report, is it?"

283 page book. One year to build the computer model and six months to write the report.

As DocInChina notes, although McD is common throughout China now, KFC and Pizza Hut have the lead. And for my trips there - thank goodness for all three.

I recall the McD problem in Beijing and as Doc notes, McD dealt with it poorly. But their presence throughout China was never threatened.

There is a great book on the impact of McD on Asia. Golden Arches East by James Watson. Anyone doing or considering business there should read it.

Occupation

Just buy it................

I am sure if you bring up the money you can get the report. In order to find strategic spots and open stores all over the place the investment for the report looks like peanuts to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPSKYINT
    It's very hard to enter china market. Franchising is not work in this moment I think. Do you have any suggestion? Actual, CHina is a potential market.
    Topsky,

As I have found out the only way you can do business in China is to have Guanxi. To have access to the better locations you definitely need Guanxi. I have ideas which are currently under development in China now. What area of the field are you in currently? I see you are in HK, which part?

Doc

Occupation
    Or you can pay me $9999.00 and I will do the study for you :D

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Forget China .........lost cause

As I have found out the only way you can do business in China is to have Guanxi. To have access to the better locations you definitely need Guanxi. I have ideas which are currently under development in China now. What area of the field are you in currently? I see you are in HK, which part?
    Doc
    What the heck are you all arguing about setting up in China. Why dont you concentrate on NIGERIA. This place has still a future..and you need no Gangzie there. While waiting for customers to buy glasses you can invent a new scams for millions of dollars. You also can franchise hundreds of stores there and get rid of all the joblots in the USA and make big money.

:D :D :D :D

...you definitely need Guanxi.
    Doc, can you send me a couple bottles of Guanxi? I'll try it, and if I like it, I'll buy a whole case.

What is Guanxi? Does that mean "connections" in Cantonese?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Doc, can you send me a couple bottles of Guanxi? I'll try it, and if I like it, I'll buy a whole case.

What is Guanxi? Does that mean "connections" in Cantonese?
    Right meaning but in Mandarin. Maybe it is the same in Cantonese. If it were only available in bottles....that would be a business!

Chris,

Perhaps you are onto something.

Doc

Thread Information