Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something Disturbing - Rant

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy
    With this subject in mind. I had a patient yesterday who picked a Silhouette

Titan Minimal Art frame that he loved. His Rx is:

OD -4.25 -3.00 x 025
    OS -4.25 -2.00 x 180

PD: 32.0/32.5
    Eyesize 53-19
    B:29

What material : poly, asp poly, or 1.67 would you guys recommend? He also
    went with Transitions and Alize. With the short B dimension and his axis that should help out with the thickness regardless of choice of material I suppose. I am a new guy so I appreciate your inputs. Thank you
    Personally I would use aspheric 1.67, I think it drills better than poly (microscopic cracks develop in poly if you are not careful). Also I have a RX similar to the left eye and I do notice more peripheral distortion in polycarb than in 1.67. TL 1.67 is now availible in transition as well. If the client didn't want transition I would probably try the Nikon Seemax lens (free-form single vision in 1.67).
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think part of the problem is the commission structure of the optical chains and indepents that reward personel based on the dollar figure they sell. There are many personell that sell eyeglasses and lenses that are not licensed and have little idea on the optics involved or what can be expected on the finished pair of glasses outcome based on the Rx at hand. I work in such an enviornment, frame stylist are given all the leaway they want. Part of the problem also is that manufactures of these high index lenses have produced lenses in the low Rx range when thier benefits in low Rxs dont support thier costs in comparison to other more affordable lenses such as cr-39, polycarb, and other mid index lenses. As long as ansillary personel are permitted to make optics choices, base on the commissions they make, I dont think this over indexing order filling will stop.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think part of the problem is the commission structure of the optical chains and indepents that reward personel based on the dollar figure they sell. There are many personell that sell eyeglasses and lenses that are not licensed and have little idea on the optics involved or what can be expected on the finished pair of glasses outcome based on the Rx at hand. I work in such an enviornment, frame stylist are given all the leaway they want. Part of the problem also is that manufactures of these high index lenses have produced lenses in the low Rx range when thier benefits in low Rxs dont support thier costs in comparison to other more affordable lenses such as cr-39, polycarb, and other mid index lenses. As long as ansillary personel are permitted to make optics choices, base on the commissions they make, I dont think this over indexing order filling will stop.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    All anyone really NEEDS is a pair of glasses lenses in a $29 frame. They really don't NEED anything else.

I think this says it perfectly. Simply economics, or was it a personal finance course, tells you to weigh your NEEDS and WANTS.

All you NEED is single vision plastic with no thrills. What you may want is a deluxe index 1.67 with transitions v and crizal alize in your gold & wood frame.

Granted I work in wholesale, so I don't have to listen to people tell me, "How much do you want for that?"

On another note if patients can't tell the 1/2 mm on thickness between 1.74 and 1.60, then they shouldn’t be able to see a 1/2 mm difference between 1.60 and Poly or a 1/2 mm between Poly and Plastic.

Perhaps I tray to keep things too simple. If someone wants a thin lens, I present the thinnest......

Adam

Thread Information