Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Quality

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ouch! Canada! I guess from being a parent it is the same philosophy! Experience comes with age! I guess the problems that exist today is the attitude of people willing or not willing to accept or to learn what is proper.

"Instead of griping about how young opticians don't know sh*t, take the
    time to show someone something new (or old)."

In response to your statement above I do teach my employees the good old methods of yesterday year every day. The interest and enthusiam is usually what is lacking because they are too lazy and want everything handed to them on a silver platter!!! Some of the new opticians I do applaud because you have the desire to be a qualified optician. It takes time and learning from all the sources that are available. When I started in the business I was only 14. My Dad allowed me to put togther the zyl frames that you had to assemble plus cleaning up the place. After I graduated from a four year institution I CHOSE to follow in my Dad's footstep because I enjoyed the work and I still do!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    [rant]
    Pardon me for being frank, but whose fault is that?
    Many young/new opticians have no idea about the industry outside of selling because they have never had anyone to mentor them or show them the ropes "in house". There are great resources out there to educate opticians, licensing, Con-Ed, on line classes, this board, etc, etc, but it can't stop there. The experience a person gets from "doing" is invaluable and the best resource for that information is fellow "veteran" opticians. Too often the attitude from the senior optician is, "I'm too busy for this sh*t", or "I'll do it myself" and they shuffle off to the back. What's even worse is the amount of mis-information being past down because of sheer laziness. (Until the past couple of years, I had no idea a plastic frame could be polished or a hinge re-sunk because it was easier to re-order a part).

A plead to all experienced opticians:
    Instead of griping about how young opticians don't know sh*t, take the time to show someone something new (or old). Be open, be willing to answer a lot of questions, don't assume, also encourage them to seek out the answers themselves (direct them to this board for starters), and when they approach you with a new idea, consider them. Set an example for your other "veteran" colleagues and encourage them to do the same with their staff. Eventually, there will be more great opticians out there to follow in your footsteps.
    [/rant off]

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    Ouch! Canada! I guess from being a parent it is the same philosophy! Experience comes with age! I guess the problems that exist today is the attitude of people willing or not willing to accept or to learn what is proper.

"Instead of griping about how young opticians don't know sh*t, take the
    time to show someone something new (or old)."

In response to your statement above I do teach my employees the good old methods of yesterday year every day. The interest and enthusiam is usually what is lacking because they are too lazy and want everything handed to them on a silver platter!!! Some of the new opticians I do applaud because you have the desire to be a qualified optician. It takes time and learning from all the sources that are available. When I started in the business I was only 14. My Dad allowed me to put togther the zyl frames that you had to assemble plus cleaning up the place. After I graduated from a four year institution I CHOSE to follow in my Dad's footstep because I enjoyed the work and I still do!
    I don't want you to feel that my post was directed at you personally, but your quote was to tempting to pass up. :D
    I have been fortunate to study under opticians, like you, that have taken the time to educate me. Now with a few years under my belt, I try to past on what I know, (in the office and recently I took a council position on our provincial association, dealing directly with continuing education). The lack of interest and enthusiasm exhibited by new opticians is often a by-product of the attitude of others in the office. Complaints of poor-wages, long hours, no appreciation from the boss, weighs heavily on those who have just entered the industry, and the feeling can be, "what have I gotten myself into". I know, I've been there, but thanks to others that have encouraged me, I know I will be successful. I am now able to educate myself and am constantly trying to learn more. I was fortunate, and I think we all can pass on a little good fortune to the noobs.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No offense taken Canada!! What little I can do to help another is my ultimate goal! We all can help if we just take the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    I don't want you to feel that my post was directed at you personally, but your quote was to tempting to pass up. :D
    I have been fortunate to study under opticians, like you, that have taken the time to educate me. Now with a few years under my belt, I try to past on what I know, (in the office and recently I took a council position on our provincial association, dealing directly with continuing education). The lack of interest and enthusiasm exhibited by new opticians is often a by-product of the attitude of others in the office. Complaints of poor-wages, long hours, no appreciation from the boss, weighs heavily on those who have just entered the industry, and the feeling can be, "what have I gotten myself into". I know, I've been there, but thanks to others that have encouraged me, I know I will be successful. I am now able to educate myself and am constantly trying to learn more. I was fortunate, and I think we all can pass on a little good fortune to the noobs.

Bad address email on file
    I was basing this info on an article in vision monday... I suppose they could've been lying.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I am pretty sure the shoppers chain in Canada gets them for cheaper.

Thread Information