Thread: killing cats?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

killing cats?

By The Associated Press
    MADISON, Wis. - Feline lovers beware.
    Wisconsin to voice their opinion on whether to legalize cat hunting.

Residents in 72 counties were asked whether free-roaming cats — including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar — should be listed as an unprotected species. Meaning they can be hunted.
    Statewide results were expected Tuesday.
    La Crosse firefighter Mark Smith, 48, helped spearhead the cat-hunting proposal. He wants Wisconsin to declare free-roaming wild cats an unprotected species, just like skunks or gophers. Anyone with a small-game license could shoot the cats at will.
    At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot — and have for decades. Minnesota defines a wild, or feral, cat as one with no collar that does not show friendly behavior.
    Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 100 million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. It has become just to costly to catch and put down all the wild cats roaming the streets and parks.
    Critics of Smith's idea organized Wisconsin Cat-Action Team and developed a Web site — www.dontshootthecat.com Some argue it is better to trap wild cats, spay or neuter them, before releasing them.
    JimMiller ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll support it if the hunters aren't allowed to use any weapons - hunt them like real men/women. :finger: Make it true hand to claw combat!
    ...Just ask me...

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I'll support it if the hunters aren't allowed to use any weapons - hunt them like real men/women. :finger: Make it true hand to claw combat!
    Define weapons. I suspect I could bean a cat with a rock, from about 5 to 10 yards, hard enough to at least stun the ******, the rest is easy. (sorry cat lovers, I'm mostly kidding)

Seriously, however, do you have an alternative answer? Certainly sterilization and release may be more humane but with a fairly conservative 5 year lifetime in the wild it certainly doesn't solve the problem.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why kill them, they are awfull tough, all cats have tough meat, stringy and don't taste well even with meat tenderizer. Cajun won't even put them in gumbo. Now, Koreans might and some Chinese might view this differntly.

Has any municipality ever concidered what a problem they would have with rats if cats were truly regulated. Drive around some time in the wee hours and you will see cats decending into the sewers. Why, they go there and hunt an kill rats. Get rid of then and welcome the return of bubonic plague.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

Has any municipality ever concidered what a problem they would have with rats if cats were truly regulated. Drive around some time in the wee hours and you will see cats decending into the sewers. Why, they go there and hunt an kill rats. Get rid of then and welcome the return of bubonic plague.

Chip
    I've been saying that since this whole mess started. Unfortunately all that some people here in Wisconsin can think about are the songbirds that are lost to feral cats. The Conservation Congress here has everyone in an uproar about this. It still has to pass through the Department of Natural Resources and the Govenor before it's official.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the mad cow cover up gets exposed you might need to start exporting the cat meat.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    I've been saying that since this whole mess started. Unfortunately all that some people here in Wisconsin can think about are the songbirds that are lost to feral cats. The Conservation Congress here has everyone in an uproar about this. It still has to pass through the Department of Natural Resources and the Govenor before it's official.
    This brings the highly humerous image of a PETA - Conservation Congress 'smack down' of some sort. I'd pay to see Kate Moss go three rounds with Ralph Nader.
    (again, mostly kidding)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Now that's more than a little scary!:angry:
    ...Just ask me...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    This brings the highly humerous image of a PETA - Conservation Congress 'smack down' of some sort. I'd pay to see Kate Moss go three rounds with Ralph Nader.
    I don't know if anyone else has ever watched "Celebrity Deathmatch" (claymation on MTV), but this certainly has the makings of a classic episode.

Just remember though- There's more than one way to skin a cat... #39 involves SuperGlue & a toothpick! (I'll say "mostly kidding" just to retain some decorum ;^).

Honestly though, cats- ugh! What in the world are these creatures good for? Does the cat ever drag a baby out of the burning building- no! There has to be a reason cats are the only domesticated animal NOT mentioned in the Bible! Give me a dopey, slobbery, stupid, hopelessly dependent DOG any day!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    so is there gonna be a hunting season? I'll be that hunting dogs are gonna be in heaven!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This reminds me of a meeting my football board of directors had with Charlotte County two months ago when the county rep stated that our new field was being held up because of a group of birds called Scrubjays lived in the construction area.

I, of course, pointed out that they coud cure their Scrubjay problem with a Remington loaded with .222 Stingers. (OK, they were not amused)

Remember, 'free range' cats healthier for you than those domestically raised cats. There have a lower fat content and they are happier than their cooped up cousins.:bbg:
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When it comes to no weapons, hand to claw combat, my money is still on the cat.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Minnesota huh. Isn't this the capital of ice fishing, aka IQ test??

"Free range cats", fabulous idea, you have a future in PR!!!! There is something comical about this, I am neither a cat-o-phile nor cat-o-phobe, but cats just don't arouse sympathy the way dogs do. I look for stories of wild cat attacks. Oh the humanity.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hmm, three rednecks, a shotgun, some feral cats, and a pouch of Big Red... I smell a reality show here!

He'ah, keeety keeety keeety... :o
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    HA HA HA NICE ONE PETE!!:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course if you could convice cajuns that cat was good in gumbo and out-of-season. The excess cats would disappear very fast.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Hmm, three rednecks, a shotgun, some feral cats, and a pouch of Big Red... I smell a reality show here!

Smoke the catnip, and don't forget the moonshine!
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I didn't know you moved to Pasco County?
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ya but " They Shoot Horses Don't They?:bbg:

Thread Information