Thread: Live Eyewear "Protectors"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Live Eyewear "Protectors"

I have just read the "from the newsroom" post that Live Eyewear has brought out product that provides adequate industrial protection to be worn over ordinary glasses.
    Since I cannot post a comment there, I post a comment for Live Eyewear here.

Don't tell me that no matter how good or safe the product is, OSHA will allow ordinary spectacles to be worn under the product on the job.

I have heard how OSHA works and this doesn't seem possible with technology or even bribery.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Repeal OSHA - Stop wasting taxpayers money

The last six years of my career found me laboring in the eye protection vineyard. I provided both plano and Rx eyewear and other PPE products to companies through out New England. Occasionally, questions concerning compliance would arise and, of course, one would naturally contact OSHA for a clarification or ruling. We are still waiting.

My personal opinion is that OSHA should be repealed as it is a waste of taxpayer money. It duplicates services that are already performed by State and Local regulatory agencies. Furthermore, occupational and personal protective equipment issues are best implemented with the guidance of trained occupational health and safety personnel working closely with private liability insurers.

The issue that you addressed, concerning OSHA allowing a protective product to be worn over street eyewear is clearly allowed and would satisfy the meaning and intent of the law. That being said, most safety managers would not allow the use of this produce. I do not think that most insurance companies would be too happy with them either. And, of course, the tort lawyers would weigh in on both sides of the issue.

Most employers want to protect their workers from injury on the job and do apply common sense to these matters.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    .... Furthermore, occupational and personal protective equipment issues are best implemented with the guidance of trained occupational health and safety personnel working closely with private liability insurers.
    Shouldn't the WORKERS have some input? After all, it is they who are being injured and killed on the job. Employers and insurance companies will take the lowest cost avenue every time.
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information