Thread: What next ???

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Confused What next ???

:hammer: WTF ??? "he's hoping one of his piercings ...will provide some income along with a distinct look" ... (yeah ... look like an idiot !!) sigh... perhaps another future candidate for a Darwin Award ...

Karen
    Texas Artist to Market Pierced Eyeglasses

Tuesday, April 5, 2005

DALLAS - Artist James Sooy proudly displays his piercings and metal jewelry, from the two captive bead rings in his upper ears to the thick stainless steel rings on each of his fingers.

He's hoping one of his piercings - a 1-inch bar through the bridge of his nose - will provide some income along with a distinct look.

Sooy plans to market piercing bar attachments designed to hold up eyeglasses, potentially freeing people from worrying about them falling off their noses. He doubts adhering lenses to a barbell between the eyes will become a huge trend, but he definitely sees a future in it.

"It's something people find interesting enough to come and look at, but it's only for a certain few," said Sooy, 22.

Sooy and friend Oliver Gilson, a 27-year-old bartender, have been advertising their creation on a Web site and hope to patent the pierced glasses. They want to offer a model for $75 to $100 by June.

But not everyone's sold on the idea.

The piercing bar could move or pop out, warned Elayne Angel, medical coordinator for the Association of Professional Piercers. She also said the idea is impractical, requiring a screwdriver just to take off the brackets that attach the lenses.

"I imagine putting those on and taking those off is going to be difficult, especially to try to put it on yourself," said Angel, owner of a New Orleans piercing studio.

Dr. Jeffrey L. Weaver of the American Optometric Association wonders if the design meets national standards. Spectacles and frames require secure and correct positioning, proper placement on the bridge, and materials that don't irritate the skin, said Weaver, the association's clinical care group director.

"Without meeting the specifications, I think a practitioner would be hesitant" to recommend using pierced glasses, he said. "If they did meet the specifications, then, certainly, this is an interesting niche market."

But Sooy said the piercing was relatively painless, and that his pierced glasses are more comfortable than ordinary ones. Because they're frameless, nothing rubs against the ears.

Sooy says he hasn't had any injuries since he started suspending his rimless lenses from the barbell last December. If something were to go wrong, Sooy said he could simply remove his eyewear and the bar until the area healed.

"It's something that you can't be stupid about," Gilson said.

---

On the Net:

Pierced Glasses http://www.piercedglasses.com

The Association of Professional Piercers http://www.safepiercing.org

American Optometric Association http://aoa.org

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I would do better.......................

I would screw the screws right into the bone that would make a much more solid impression

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Next thing you know people will be putting lenses right onto the eye. :D
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They must be something like +20....?

Experts?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    actually, I made a pair for myself for halloween. I used +5.00's. Funny thing is they are looking for a duplicate frame, since he found it at a yard sale. All that I know is it is a Viva frame.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I love "Bubbles"!!:D
    Chimperial Optical-what a great place to work!

Thread Information