Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily gripe...

Occupation
    Optometrist

Daily gripe...

Mother comes in (again) asking for trial contact lenses, because little sonny has "ripped another lens".

I check his file, and while we've examined him, we've never filled his CL Rx...

"Oh, I get them at Sam's Club, because they're cheaper."

Care to guess whether she got a pair of trials out of me?:hammer:
    Last edited by drk; 04-05-2005 at 02:03 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Get this girl come in who wears contacts. She complains that she hates Walmart (she got her RX done by us) and has had troubles with them. She then looks at our prices and we are only a little more per box, and she complains about the price and asks why we are more expensive.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got a $20 tip!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Get this:

I finally get my silhouettes from the lab, and the idiots gave me the wrong shaped lenses....more waiting....

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

If your so much smarter and a better lab man than the "Idiot" at your lab, why don't you make them yourself? Afraid of blowing a lens and having to pay for a replacement? Amazing how you criticize your lab for something that you obviously don't have the ability to do yourself!!! :hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs
    If your so much smarter and a better lab man than the "Idiot" at your lab, why don't you make them yourself? Afraid of blowing a lens and having to pay for a replacement? Amazing how you criticize your lab for something that you obviously don't have the ability to do yourself!!! :hammer:
    I think he was just ranting to let loose some steam.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Besides letting steam off, he probably called them "idiots" because they are the people that are being paid to kow better. I didn't see any claim that dadoody was "smarter". Gee THUMBS, cut the guy a break ! :finger:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs
    Did you make them? I didn't think so. So leave the guy alone. Think before you post.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If i remember correctly, dadoody is a civilian not in our field.

Doc

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Uh, yeah I'm a customer.

And I still say they're idiots. The optometrist faxed over the right number, and they created very expensive lenses (teflon AR coating, transitions, polished, trivex) using the wrong number. They made oval instead of the rectangle...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    hey dadoody that's cool that you are letting off steam. You paid alot for those glasses but stuff happens! I hope that you get all your venting out here and don't go back into the store calling people idiots! :cheers:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    Besides letting steam off, he probably called them "idiots" because they are the people that are being paid to kow better. I didn't see any claim that dadoody was "smarter". Gee THUMBS, cut the guy a break ! :finger:
    Lab workers don't really get paid? We's sure ain't getting paid nuff to thinck. Member that when u is ordr'n stuff, Make it very simple and clear IN BIG PRINT cuse we is Idiots. Don't go spect'n us to no noth'n.
    JimMiller ABOC

Occupation
    I just find the lab thing funny, because the same thing happened with me last week. It was done by a very competent lab by a very competent person, but I still said to my co-worker "what an idiot."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dadoody
    Uh, yeah I'm a customer.
    And I still say they're idiots. The optometrist faxed over the right number, and they created very expensive lenses (teflon AR coating, transitions, polished, trivex) using the wrong number. They made oval instead of the rectangle...
    Whats wrong with your optometrist? Probably has never heard of a lens stretcher. That can pull it into the right shape.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nothing surprises me anymore!

Here's one and I've heard it talked about a lot on here. Lady comes in for exam, shops around because our prices are too steep for her. Ends up buying her glasses online and comes back insisting we adjust them. Here's the kicker, they had her take her own measurements for a progressive. ???? How in the world does that work? And to add to it, this is a patient that wanted to know if she could get her cataract implants in color to change the color of her eyes. Oh my!!!!!!

Occupation
    there is a new website that does not even ask for a fitting height. I assume they take the average.

However, the rate of return for unsatisfied customers in retail is generally 2 percent, so you can see where they make their money. Plus if someone pays $60 for a pair of progressives they expect junk.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    Here's one and I've heard it talked about a lot on here. Lady comes in for exam, shops around because our prices are too steep for her. Ends up buying her glasses online and comes back insisting we adjust them. Here's the kicker, they had her take her own measurements for a progressive. ???? How in the world does that work? And to add to it, this is a patient that wanted to know if she could get her cataract implants in color to change the color of her eyes. Oh my!!!!!!
    Why doesn't she do her own cataract surgery, it can't be as tough as taking a seg ht. and a pd on yourself. She could probably find instructions online too.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Lab workers don't really get paid? We's sure ain't getting paid nuff to thinck. Member that when u is ordr'n stuff, Make it very simple and clear IN BIG PRINT cuse we is Idiots. Don't go spect'n us to no noth'n.

hey Jim, that was funny

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim,

I stand corn ected.

Johns

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Whats wrong with your optometrist? Probably has never heard of a lens stretcher. That can pull it into the right shape.
    Optometrist isn't at fault. She just gave me my exam and faxed over the order to the lab. Lab is a VSP lab. They messed it up.

You guys are quick to defend people who keep messing things up for me :P

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Smilie

Optometrist isn't at fault. She just gave me my exam and faxed over the order to the lab. Lab is a VSP lab. They messed it up.

You guys are quick to defend people who keep messing things up for me :P
    Dadoody,

Why don't you enlighten us with your line of work, maybe we can think of someone in that field who is an "idiot". You never made a mistake? I am not jumping your case, you have a right to be upset. I am sure you paid a pretty penny for your glasses, but give the guys (and or gals) a break. How many frames do you think exist in this world? So they made the wrong ones, big deal. Its not like they are charging you extra to make new ones. Just a little inconvience. Too many people are in a rush to blame the lab workers for everything. Labs get bad reps because its easier for the retail personnel to blame someone who is out if sight.

Letting off steam. Man that feels better. If you're wondering, I have experience on both sides of the fence.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Are you SURE the optometrist faxed the right #?;) My lab gets blamed for all the offices mistakes, it makes the office look more competent that way I guess. Here's my rant: I got a nasty fax last week asking why a patient's lenses were made with Airwear and not TL 1.67!!!! I faxed back the original job order and pointed out to the office ...ummm because that's what you ordered!!!Grrrrr....

How about this one: A customer was in the dispensary shopping for frames, didn't care for the prices and was quite vocal about it.. then he noticed the third world eyeglass donation box and asked if he could just pick a pair out of it to use!!
    Chimperial Optical-what a great place to work!

Occupation
    well dadoody of course we are quick to defend ourselves. No one disagrees with you being upset but when you start calling lab techs idiots you are in the wrong place for that! In case you have not noticed many of us are lab technicians! that would be like going to france and complaining about the French! You are kind of in the lions den here. :finger:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeysee
    Are you SURE the optometrist faxed the right #?;) My lab gets blamed for all the offices mistakes, it makes the office look more competent that way I guess. Here's my rant: I got a nasty fax last week asking why a patient's lenses were made with Airwear and not TL 1.67!!!! I faxed back the original job order and pointed out to the office ...ummm because that's what you ordered!!!Grrrrr....

How about this one: A customer was in the dispensary shopping for frames, didn't care for the prices and was quite vocal about it.. then he noticed the third world eyeglass donation box and asked if he could just pick a pair out of it to use!!

Hey, I'm not calling YOU guys idiots at all. Just the idiots who made my glasses were idiots. Yeah, I'm not getting charged (I don't think...), but it's a time matter. I needed those glasses by now....

I know my optometrist faxed over the right number. Acctually, they were going to blame me and say I told them what they wrote, until we went over the order and they pulled up the fax. They wrote down and faxed the right order. Wrong order got made.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Hey, I'm not calling YOU guys idiots at all. Just the idiots who made my glasses were idiots. Yeah, I'm not getting charged (I don't think...), but it's a time matter. I needed those glasses by now....
    Correct me if I am wrong...you have been shopping for these glasses since at least 8 months ago and now you need those glasses now? Prescription eyewear is a custom crafted product, not off the rack. Anytime any order needs to be made to order these are the occurrences to expect.

I am not trying to give you a hard time (well, not too hard a time anyway) but would like you to change your perspective and understand what is involved. It is impossible for every order to come through 100%. Yours just happened to be the one that day that did not come out right.

Doc

Thread Information