ZEISS Gradal® Individual – Now Available With More Options Than Ever Before

CHESTER, Va., April 4, 2005 – Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc. today announces it has expanded its Gradal Individual customized progressive lens family to include several new options. These options include a new 1.67 material, Carat Advantage® coating and new sunglass tints.

o Introduction of 1.67 Material for Gradal Individual
All of the superior benefits of Gradal Individual are now available in a super hi-index 1.67 material for thinner and lighter lenses. Currently, this 1.67 material offering applies only to Gradal Individual, not Short i.

o Carat Advantage® Coating for Gradal Individual and Short i
The latest coating advancement from Zeiss will now come standard on all Gradal Individual and Short i lenses. Carat Advantage offers the patient clear vision (AR coating) with lenses that are durable (hard coating) and easy to clean (hydrophobic coating).

o Introduction of Sunglass Tints for Gradal Individual and Short i
All Gradal Individual and Short i lenses can now be ordered with tint for use outdoors. Optional colors are Gray 75%, G15/Pioneer 80% (Gray-Green), or Skylet Road 80% (Brown).

Based on the successful Gradal Top design, the personal approach of Gradal Individual and Short i considers not only the prescription for the computation of the lens’ freeform surface but takes it one step further by considering the individual anatomy of each patient as well. A patient wearing Gradal Individual or Short i lenses will receive a multitude of benefits including unprecedented clarity, superior adaptability and optimized wide viewing areas with virtually no distortions.

Gradal Individual features a minimum fitting height of 18 mm and will accommodate patients who prefer traditional frame sizes. With a low fitting height of 15 mm, Gradal Short i is ideal for today’s fashionable smaller frames.

For more information about Zeiss customized progressive lenses, visit www.zeiss.com/lenses.