Thread: Hilco Custom Clip-on's

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hilco Custom Clip-on's

At the risk of being carpet bombed--
    Anyone besides me making Hilco's custom clip's?
    I know we cut off our nose to spite our face with clips but I fear they're here to stay.
    I would like to share tips on making them if anyone's interested. They can be far more profitable than ready made clips but Hilco's promo fails miserably in my opinion on how to make them (and more importantly how to fix problems).
    Fester
    PS I am not in any way associated with Hilco.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    we have several people a day who ask for clips that will fir there glasses, i have been bugging my boss about trying those hilco custom clips. they seem like a good idea. how is the quality of them? are they worth it?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bought the kit and made a few, but they were pretty wobbly and would pull apart fairly easily. Maybe I just don't have enough strength to wield the pliers properly. I've also used the Made in the Shade clip-on kit and liked the quality much better. There's another one I've used and I think that Chip used them as well, but the name escapes me right now.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get $75 for them and tell the patient up front it's my time more than the quality and material that they're paying for.
    When I first got the kit I too found just pressure would not keep the clips in place. To solve that I found after crimping the brow bar and bottom clips, before trimming and bending the posts I put a small drop of all purpose crazy glue on the long post and by gravity let it flow down and into the crimp point. This has, in the hundreds I've done to date, produced a zero! return rate because they fell apart.
    Quality wise on a scale of 1 to 10 I think they rate a 3.
    Who makes "Made in the Shade?"
    I got alot more tips but I'm not sure of the size of the audience if you know what I mean!
    Fester

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We've used "Shade Control" with enormous success. Never ONCE had one returned for quality issue, and that's saying something.

Occupation
    we use shade controll as well and they are terrific but we have alot of people that have unique shapes that don't always work with them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    One more plug for Jerry's Cliphouse, here. Absolutely the finest quality product you"ll ever see, if you can afford the expense and wait.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where can we obtain more info. on the Made in the Shade clips? Do they have a site?

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Cocoons Clips

Cocoons clips are also now available... feature optically correct, scratch resistant polarized lenses (same as Cocoons sunglasses)... big improvement in clip on lens quality... very nice fitting kit is offered with opening orders

can view the collection at www.liveeyewear.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs
    Where can we obtain more info. on the Made in the Shade clips? Do they have a site?
    Made in the Shade is now Fantom Clip at www.fantomclip.com

Occupation
    our lab offers Phantom clips but I am not too impressed with the quality. The hilco clips are attractive because it seems that we can do an almost exact match in little time and they look a little "sleeker". Hey DRK can you give me some more info on that clip that you use?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Here is another tip to make custom clip at your own shop by using polycarbonate sheet:

1. Take a digital photo of the frame front and top view.
    2. Trace the bridge shape (both front view and top view) and size the DBL exactly on the CorelDraw software. Make sure to add 6 mm long x 2 mm wide on the end of the bridge for holding rimless lens (drill two holes on the side of lens). Print the drawing out and glue on the poly sheet. Cut out the shape from poly sheet by a sharp knife blade. Use 400 grits sandpaper to smooth sharp edges.
    3. Buy a 10 dollars electrical heat blade from Home Depo and scrap the connection line between frame front and top view of the frame while the blade is hot. Then fold the PC sheet in 90 degree angle and air cool down. Do the same thing on the bridge end by drilling two holes first on each side and fold both wings (for holding lens).
    4. Drill two 0.7mm holes (at least 4 mm apart) on lens. Drop in two of 1 mm nose pad screws to secure PC-fit-over-bridge-clip on both sides. Here is your custom clip on sunglasses!

A. Cost as low as 10 cents on material.
    B. No ugly looking top Bars.
    C. Light weight becuase it is rimless.
    D. No prongs!
    E. Unbreakable!
    F. Can be color matched.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    our lab offers Phantom clips but I am not too impressed with the quality. The hilco clips are attractive because it seems that we can do an almost exact match in little time and they look a little "sleeker". Hey DRK can you give me some more info on that clip that you use?
    I have two tiers:
    For those who want it today: "Shade Control". We keep and inventory kit around, and replace it piece by piece. Call Charisma Optical (distributor) 1-800-223-3200. You will like them. http://clipons.com/

For those who want a perfect match, and finest quality lenses and chassis, we custom make them from Cliphouse. http://www.clip-house.com/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Eyewear
    Cocoons clips are also now available... feature optically correct, scratch resistant polarized lenses (same as Cocoons sunglasses)... big improvement in clip on lens quality... very nice fitting kit is offered with opening orders

can view the collection at www.liveeyewear.com
    I ordered my fitting kit at VEE. When is going to get here?
    ...Just ask me...

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    All Cocoons Clip kits are being shipped to customers in mid April. You should have been told this at the show? The response to the offer was incredible, with hundreds of kits all ready on pre-release order. We give priority to Expo orders and existing customers, so you will defintely be receiving your kit in first wave.

If you have any questions, call us toll free (800) 834-2563

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All Cocoons Clip kits are being shipped to customers in mid April. You should have been told this at the show?
    Probably. I got a lot of information that day.

The response to the offer was incredible, with hundreds of kits all ready on pre-release order. We give priority to Expo orders and existing customers, so you will defintely be receiving your kit in first wave.
    Good - I'm excited. I have a list of potential buyers to call when it arrives. I've been talking it up.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Clips with top bars and prongs fade already. Someone needs to come up new ideas to invent a RIMWIRE clip design. Must be flexible to fit any eyeshape/eyesize and block sunlight coming from the side of glasses.Same thing on frames...need some new stuff,please!

Thread Information