Thread: Help Rodenstock XR

Bad address email on file Tigger61's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Help Rodenstock XR

I have a patient that has had a Rodenstock XR. We can't get it due to Rodenstock's problem they are encountering. We put him in a Solamax and he says that there is halo on lights at night. He had cr-39 in Rodenstock with gray transitions. We did the same in the Solamax. He didn't have AR on either and refuses to get it. I can't imagine why there would be an issue with the manufactor that would cause halo's at night. His Power is OD+1.00 -25 x180 Os +1.00 -50 x178 +200add. They both are same rx no change. And it is in same frame that he has had for years. Any help or feed back.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it the same size frame and same rx? If not, many things could be going on then( edge thickness, base curves, changes in rx etc.). I don't think it's the actual type of progressive though. At least, I've never heard of a certain brand causing halos? Just my experience though.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First I assume it it an xs lens (unfamillar with xr) it is a short corridor vs solamax standard, however this would do nothing to explain halo effect. The other diffrence might be, is the sola lens spectralite ??

You mihgt want to try a essilor pressio I (13 mm corridor) in the same index as the xs ??

nothing concrete in this post, but just a few thoughts !!
    Last edited by lensguy; 03-30-2005 at 10:12 AM. Reason: wrong lens type posted

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A high fitting cross can create the symptoms you have described. Consider lowering the cross and increasing the panto.

Respectfully,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Rodenstock lenses are available in the Colormatic photochromic material, not Transitions. A side by side comparison of the two would show the Colormatic lens with more tint in it's "clear" state. The client may be sensitive to the slight colour change between the two lenses. Before remaking any lenses try tinting the new set to match the previous pair in it's "clear" state.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In lower powers, sometimes prism thinning can cause ghost images or halos around lights. See if his old lenses had prism thinning.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Robert M. could be right.

If the "halo" is really a "blur circle" (or, more likely, a "blur oval") then the patient is seeing astigmatic blur.

It would be nice to qualify the patient's symptoms more before making a change. See if you can elicit the effect in-office, and try Robert's suggestion.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If he has had the same RX and frame for years possibly he is having a halo effect due to the start of cataracts?? How is his current eye health, did your office examine him?
    I agree the colormatic had a bit more color in it than the current Trans product. He could be picking up some astigmatism blur, sensitive to the color or it could be occular.
    I love a mystery, please post your solution.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've worn the XS, and other Rodenstock products in Colormatic. As far as lens-to-lens transfer goes, I'd put someone wearing an XS into a Zeiss Brevity, the lens countours are similar enough. Colormatic is not exactly a CR39 and not exactly a mid-index; Rodenstock lists the lens as 1.52. But that ought not to be too different from CR39, right?

Maybe the drop from the fitting cross isn't the same on both lenses? Or maybe, as others have suggested, the difference in residual tint between Colormatic and Transitions has revealed an underlying cataract problem?

Let us know!

Bad address email on file Tigger61's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I stand corrected, It is an XS. the only reason we were changeing his lense due to old one was crazed. he don't see the halo in old ones. I will try changeing seg hi and let you know what happens. Thank all for your imput.

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Ditto what JerryR said, I've seen a few occasions where prism thinning was the culprit, check if both pair are about the same.
    Rich R

i vote with the Jedi!!! and look at the panto also

Thread Information