Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terry Schiavo Case

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    BTW, while I agree this is a case of "individual rights" (which many of those on the right have undeniably failed to grasp). I would note to my friends on the left who want to draw some convoluted similarity between this sad case and abortion that there simply is none. In one case, we're talking about someone who is past the ability to pursue "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Letting Mrs. Shiavo's body pass away is not going to hinder her freedom- that ended when her brain ceased to function. The mind of an unborn baby, on the other hand, still functions just fine and- left unmolested- will develop in due course. Ergo, the baby still has the potential (therefore the right) to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

To sum, while Mrs. Schiavo certainly has the personal right to indicate that- should her brain cease to function- she would prefer to pass away (which her body will naturally do without intervention). Conversely, however, no one has the right to decide that a baby doesn't have the right to live- which s/he will do in the absence of intervention. Right over your own life, yes- right over someone else's- no.

Well, perhaps I'm just sorta religious right- a casual attender, if you will.
    I think it's the right who is seeking draw a comparison with abortion here, at least the commentators I have read--i.e. err on the side of life in all cases. As time goes by, I am starting to become more open to the right to life position in fact, though I still think the argument against stem cell research is inane.

My point re the radical religious right (no offense to people of faith) was that they have a scary sense of self righteousness that allows them, in their own minds, to be above the law.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As soon as women are able to transfer half of the pregnancy experience to the father and of course half of the delivery experience, I'll give further thought to paternal rights. Until then, my body...my choices.
    Wow, with all due respect (and I definitely respect your opinions, Judy), what a load of hooey. No, I didn't gain 30 pounds during my wife's pregnancy with Pierce or Sara (I gained 10 or so- but that was unrelated ;^). No, I didn't get swollen ankles- but then again, neither did my wife. I didn't feel the pain of contractions- but after realizing the cord was wrapped and seeing my son in the NICU for three days (during which I pretty much didn't sleep), I'd say I was definitely "part of the experience." (At that point, probably more a part of it than my wife, who was high as a kite and loving life at the moment- I recall the phrase, "Heck, we can do this again next year!" at some point in the process ;^).

Today, I have the distinct good fortune to financially support my family to the point where my wife can stay at home and care for the children (which is particularly important, since I travel a lot). I really take a lot of enjoyment on days like today (the kids are off on Spring Break)- waking up to go to work and looking in on everyone sleeping. I know I'm doing my part in raising two productive members of society. With my wife, I administer punishments, fix boo-boos, help put bikes back together, read books and talk about the morals, and all the other stuff that comes with parenting (as I know you also do with your husband). I've done that for 10 and (on Saturday for my daughter) 9 years respectively.

So, to blather on about the 9 months during which women alone have responsibility for nurturing the child falls on rather deaf ears for me. I made one too many trips to the grocery store at midnight during that time to accept that I had no part in the process.

As for when life begins, no- I'm not against contraception. The "morning after pill," well- why the heck not? Seems to me, however, that when you can watch video of a baby moving away from the abortion instrument, you're probably dealing with a unique individual. Ask yourself, if Mrs. Schiavo made some attempt to keep the doctor from removing her tube, do you think there would have been any question regarding what would have followed?

I understand the fear and trepidation that comes from an unexpected pregnancy (my wife became pregnant one year into our marriage- while we were still in college... unfortunately, a miscarriage resulted three months in). I was scared crapless during our first pregnancy, but we never considered a convenience killing to resolve our own insecurities. I don't want to condemn a young woman (or a child) to a life a raising someone unwanted. However, once the baby is there- with its own heart, organs, and brain waves- I do NOT think it beyond reason to protect that life until it can emerge from his/her mother and be adopted and/or given an opportunity to pursue its own life.

That's just the way I feel- baby's (not "my") life- not a choice.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think it's the right who is seeking draw a comparison with abortion here, at least the commentators I have read--i.e. err on the side of life in all cases. As time goes by, I am starting to become more open to the right to life position in fact, though I still think the argument against stem cell research is inane.
    I agree there is some sort of wierd connection being attempted here- but both sides use cases like this to promote their political agendas, not just the right (btw, Delay is looking a bit awkward on this one, considering his family pulled the plug on his father years back). I also agree about stem cells- regardless of how the cells got there, once they're there, it seems ridiculous to waste them.

My point re the radical religious right (no offense to people of faith) was that they have a scary sense of self righteousness that allows them, in their own minds, to be above the law.
    Oh, and the radical left NEVER comes across as self-righteous, more open-minded, or anything like that compared to "those red-staters" on the right? Hmmm... Above the law- seems that PETA, Greenpeace, etc., etc., enjoys bending/breaking laws from time to time.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    I agree there is some sort of wierd connection being attempted here- but both sides use cases like this to promote their political agendas, not just the right (btw, Delay is looking a bit awkward on this one, considering his family pulled the plug on his father years back). I also agree about stem cells- regardless of how the cells got there, once they're there, it seems ridiculous to waste them.

Oh, and the radical left NEVER comes across as self-righteous, more open-minded, or anything like that compared to "those red-staters" on the right? Hmmm... Above the law- seems that PETA, Greenpeace, etc., etc., enjoys bending/breaking laws from time to time.
    I'm not aware of Congress passing special legislation to pander to PETA or Greenpeace; watch for the character assassination to begin on Judge Greer (the Florida judge, think that's his name?) soon. I suggest the radical right has its claws into the mainstream government entities, not so the radical left (hey, could be I am just jealous!!!)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    (btw, Delay is looking a bit awkward on this one, considering his family pulled the plug on his father years back)
    A hypocritical republican????? Say it ain't so! ;)
    ...Just ask me...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I heard a priest on the radio today saying that since everyone involved in this case believes in resurrection, what's the big deal? (He didn't use those words.) If Terry is going from one place to a better place, shouldn't we be happy for her? I couldn't help but think that using that philosophy, the church should be pro-abortion to help the unfortunate of the world avoid spending time here and dispatch them off to the hereafter sooner.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I heard a priest on the radio today saying that since everyone involved in this case believes in resurrection, what's the big deal? (He didn't use those words.) If Terry is going from one place to a better place, shouldn't we be happy for her? I couldn't help but think that using that philosophy, the church should be pro-abortion to help the unfortunate of the world avoid spending time here and dispatch them off to the hereafter sooner.
    With a couple of beers, this could make a delicious discussion for an evening. Of course, one's view on subjects like predestination would come to bear- but its a great point for discussion!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who said this was about politics.

From the NY Times...

WASHINGTON, March 28 - The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups.
    "These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri," says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited, which is asking $150 a month for 6,000 names and $500 a month for 4,000 e-mail addresses of people who responded last month to an e-mail plea from Ms. Schiavo's father. "These individuals are passionate about the way they value human life, adamantly oppose euthanasia and are pro-life in every sense of the word!"

Privacy experts said the sale of the list was legal and even predictable, if ghoulish.

"I think it's amusing," said Robert Gellman, a privacy and information policy consultant. "I think it's absolutely classic America. Everything is for sale in America, every type of personal information."

Executives of Response Unlimited declined to comment. Gary McCullough, director of the Christian Communication Network and a spokesman for Ms. Schiavo's parents, confirmed that Mr. Schindler had agreed to let Response Unlimited rent out the list as part of a deal for the firm to send an e-mail solicitation raising money on the family's behalf.

The Schindlers have waged a lengthy legal battle against their son-in-law Michael Schiavo to prevent the removal of the feeding tube from their daughter, who doctors say is in a persistent vegetative state.

Mr. McCullough said he was present when Mr. Schindler agreed to the arrangement in a conversation with Phil Sheldon, the co-founder of a conservative online marketing organization, RightMarch.com, who acted as a broker for Response Unlimited.

"So the Schindlers do know the details," Mr. McCullough said on Monday. How much attention they paid to the matter is hard to assess, he added. "The Schindlers right now know that their daughter is starving to death, and if I ask about anything else, they say, 'I don't want to hear about it.' "

Direct mail and mass e-mailings are ubiquitous fund-raising tools of interest groups on the left as well as the right, and others in the direct-mail business defended the sale of lists like the roster of donors to the Schindlers as a useful way for potential donors to learn of causes that might appeal to them.

Pamela Hennessy, an unpaid spokeswoman for the Schindlers, said she was initially appalled when she learned of the list's existence.

"It is possibly the most distasteful thing I have ever seen," Ms. Hennessy said. "Everybody is making a buck off of her."

Ms. Hennessy, who operates the Schindlers' Web site, www.terrisfight.org, said the family had not released any of the names or e-mail addresses gathered there. "Obviously these people are enterprising, and they are taking advantage of this very desperate father," she said.

On Sunday, as the Schindlers gave up on their legal battle and their daughter passed her 10th day without food, others continued to rally supporters and solicit money in an effort to restore the feeding tube.

"This time, we have a real chance to break through the 'roadblocks' that the enemies of life have been putting up in front of us," said a mass e-mailing from RightMarch.com, asking supporters to urge Gov. Jeb Bush to intervene somehow.

The message added: "We're asking you to give a donation to help with our activism efforts to save Terri's life. Battles cost money; resources cost money; media costs money; we could go on, but you get the picture."

Mr. Sheldon - whose father, the Rev. Lou Sheldon, founder of the Traditional Values Coalition, has also sent appeals urging support for Ms. Schiavo - apparently played a dual role as a partner in RightMarch.com, which is working with the anti-abortion activist Randall Terry, and as a broker for Response Unlimited. Mr. Sheldon did not respond to phone calls yesterday.

"I think it sounds a little unusual right now because of the situation where she is in the process of dying," said Richard Viguerie, another major conservative direct-mail operator. "If you came across this information six months or a year from now, I don't think you would give it too much thought."
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And people thought Michael Schaivo had ulterior motives...
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Taking advantage of these grief stricken, misguided people is really repugnant. And that goes for the manipulating radical religious right, and Jesse "Where's the Camera" Jackson.

I think we as a society have completely lost the concept of shame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Foveator
    I heard a priest on the radio today saying that since everyone involved in this case believes in resurrection, what's the big deal? (He didn't use those words.) If Terry is going from one place to a better place, shouldn't we be happy for her? I couldn't help but think that using that philosophy, the church should be pro-abortion to help the unfortunate of the world avoid spending time here and dispatch them off to the hereafter sooner.[/QUOTE]

If that be the case why are we worried about all the straving in Africa? Hey they are going to better place,right? Philosophy like that has given us the likes of Hilter and the Stalins of this world which we don't need. The problem with your scenario of Pro-Abortion (even though it was poor at best) but using your analogy the one thing your missing is the baby has no say in the matter and it's
    not in a vegetative state.:hammer:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Taking advantage of these grief stricken, misguided people is really repugnant. And that goes for the manipulating radical religious right, and Jesse "Where's the Camera" Jackson.
    I agree 100%- and thanks for bringing up Rev. Jesse for me (guess he's a member of the religious right now).

I agree, we've lost a sense of shame. You see the same thing happen after incidents like Columbine. The gun-control crowd shows up to promote their agenda with little feeling or regard for the families actually involved.

I'd blame it on the media, but the fact is American's gobble it up like ravenous swine. Personally, I've tried to avoid exposure to the Schiavo, Jackson, and Peterson cases. In the time it is going to take Mrs. Schiavo to pass away, how many people will be killed due to drunken driving, medical malpractice, or (depending on your viewpoint) abortion?

Perhaps the "concerned activists" should consider taking the time they are spending camped out around the hospice to invest in community service (for the folks specifically claiming a religious interest, perhaps they could find some widows and orphans to assist- as suggested by Paul).

In the meantime, rest assured that anywhere there is suffering to be exploited, the cameras of our local and national media will be there...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert Martellaro:quoted:
    "I think it sounds a little unusual right now because of the situation where she is in the process of dying," said Richard Viguerie, another major conservative direct-mail operator. "If you came across this information six months or a year from now, I don't think you would give it too much thought."[/QUOTE]

It sounds a "little unusual" really! She is in the process of dying because we
    have allowed an idiot judge and uncaring husband to dictate what a PERSON needs.( If the husband does not care give the caring back to the parents) Are we worrying about the straving people in Africa? Nope. I have been to Zambia and have seen the stravation and what they call housing. This thing with the woman in Florida straving her to death is as one person already said: repubnant. When will the death camps start being erected? Whoops I m sorry we already have those death camps, go to any abortion clinic! The only difference is that they take a living being ( ie:baby and kill it)
    here they are taking a living being and straving her to death. They would make the Nazis proud, unfortunatily it makes me SICK!:finger:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    It sounds a "little unusual" really! She is in the process of dying because we
    have allowed an idiot judge and uncaring husband to dictate what a PERSON needs.( If the husband does not care give the caring back to the parents) Are we worrying about the straving people in Africa? Nope. I have been to Zambia and have seen the stravation and what they call housing. This thing with the woman in Florida straving her to death is as one person already said: repubnant. When will the death camps start being erected? Whoops I m sorry we already have those death camps, go to any abortion clinic! The only difference is that they take a living being ( ie:baby and kill it)
    here they are taking a living being and straving her to death. They would make the Nazis proud, unfortunatily it makes me SICK!:finger:
    Right, all the judiciary and medical personnel associated with this decision are Nazis. As are the majority of Americans who believe the woman and her husband have the right to end intrusive and futile treatment.

So I'm guessing death camp erection is right around the corner. Let's see, we'll need someplace with rail access, relatively isolated, some nasty guards....let me give this some more thought, maybe take a quick look at Mein Kampf. Where did I put those boots......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chm2023
    Right, all the judiciary and medical personnel associated with this decision are Nazis. As are the majority of Americans who believe the woman and her husband have the right to end intrusive and futile treatment.

You mean the man who is now living with another woman and has two kids with that woman, is this the man your talking about? I think his concerns are elseware. The husband has taken over the rights of the woman, the woman as you pointed out has had no rights. If they want to do the right thing give the permission back to the PARENTS, they are willing to take care of her. Or maybe it's the money that is involved that the husband gets when the woman passes.

But as chm2023 said: " As are the majority of Americans who believe the woman and her husband have the right to end intrusive and futile treatment."

Lastly I never said "all" are Nazis.
    Last edited by jediron1; 03-30-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See this is what happens when I go away for awhile.............:finger:

NOBODY knows the mind of God. Not the Pope, not Reverand Jackson, most definately the two bushes in DC and Tallahassee, and most especially not you or me.

If 15 years is not enough, what is? I believe that many people in the Pro Life movement have the best of intentions. But we all know about good intentions, don't we?

Death is a NATURAL part of life. Man has been trying to play at God by extending life UNNATURALLY.

The only thing more distasteful than doctors playing God is Congress!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EyeManFla said:If 15 years is not enough, what is? I believe that many people in the Pro Life movement have the best of intentions. But we all know about good intentions, don't we?

So are we to strave her to death? That seems like cruel and harsh punishment
    for anyone. If you want to end this like you seem to be saying and like chm2023
    then give her lethal injection. At least this way it's fast and she, we hope does not feel a thing. I don't understand the crowd on this board, wanting to strave
    a person to death, this goes beyond me! :finger:

Occupation
    chm2023

You mean the man who is now living with another woman and has two kids with that woman, is this the man your talking about? I think his concerns are elseware. The husband has taken over the rights of the woman, the woman as you pointed out has had no rights. If they want to do the right thing give the permission back to the PARENTS, they are willing to take care of her. Or maybe it's the money that is involved that the husband gets when the woman passes.

But as chm2023 said: " As are the majority of Americans who believe the woman and her husband have the right to end intrusive and futile treatment."

Lastly I never said "all" are Nazis.
    I think we should be wary of judging this man; his wife is in a state that medical experts deem irreversible. I am not at all comfortable condemning him for electing not to waste his life as well. I think he deserves our sympathy, who is to say what he has suffered? Like I always say, if you're anxious to pass judgment on someone, go get yourself a mirror.

And by the way, I really don't think we want to go down the path of saying that the husband is de facto the legal guardian unless he strays from the path we approve. Laws, not men, govern us.

Occupation
    EyeManFla said:If 15 years is not enough, what is? I believe that many people in the Pro Life movement have the best of intentions. But we all know about good intentions, don't we?

So are we to strave her to death? That seems like cruel and harsh punishment
    for anyone. If you want to end this like you seem to be saying and like chm2023
    then give her lethal injection. At least this way it's fast and she, we hope does not feel a thing. I don't understand the crowd on this board, wanting to strave
    a person to death, this goes beyond me! :finger:
    I agree a lethal injection would be the better path; unfortunately the enlightened radical religious right has gone to court in numerous states to ban this, so here we are. Also, someone who has a flat EEG like this woman does not have the capacity to experience suffering.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She is in the process of dying because we
    have allowed an idiot judge and uncaring husband to dictate what a PERSON needs.( If the husband does not care give the caring back to the parent
    Terri Schiavo died fifteen years ago. All that remains is an empty shell of a body. If your brain is severely and irreparably damaged due to oxygen deprivation or injury, you have the right to keep your body functioning for as long as you can pay the $6000+ a month that it costs to do so. Put aside some money, have an attorney get your wishes in writing, and make sure your doctor and family members (spouse, children, parents, in that order) all have copies.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert Martellaro:
    Terri Schiavo died fifteen years ago. All that remains is an empty shell of a body. If your brain is severely and irreparably damaged due to oxygen deprivation or injury, you have the right to keep your body functioning for as long as you can pay the $6000+ a month that it costs to do so. Put aside some money, have an attorney get your wishes in writing, and make sure your doctor and family members (spouse, children, parents, in that order) all have copies.

I think your quote on the bottom sums it all up:
    "If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
    - Anatole France
    "Terri Schiavo died fifteen years ago" is a foolish saying!:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chm2023:
    I think we should be wary of judging this man; his wife is in a state that medical experts deem irreversible. I am not at all comfortable condemning him for electing not to waste his life as well. I think he deserves our sympathy, who is to say what he has suffered? Like I always say, if you're anxious to pass judgment on someone, go get yourself a mirror.

And by the way, I really don't think we want to go down the path of saying that the husband is de facto the legal guardian unless he strays from the path we approve. Laws, not men, govern us.[/QUOTE]

First of all if your going to state my position at least state it from what I said
    and not from what you believe I said.:finger:
    I never condemned the man for what he did, I said: ( "I think his concerns are elseware" is a far cry from the way you misinterepted mine ) I just pointed out that maybe his sympathies and choices are being tainted for his concerns
    are elseware.:hammer:
    Last edited by jediron1; 03-30-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think your quote on the bottom sums it all up:
    "If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
    - Anatole France
    Don't worry, at least a million people think that Terri Schiavo will recover.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet:
    Don't worry, at least a million people think that Terri Schiavo will recover.[/QUOTE]

Boy Spex you never seise to amaze me on your sarcasm! Your wit is demeaning
    and down right degrading!:finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Don't worry, at least a million people think that Terri Schiavo will recover.
    Boy Spex you never seise to amaze me on your sarcasm!

Thank You!:bbg:

Your wit is demeaning
    and down right degrading!:finger:
    And what do you call:

???????????

I apologize if you feel insulted.:cheers:
    Last edited by Spexvet; 03-30-2005 at 03:46 PM.
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information