Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hey Libs, When does that Draft start again?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    That's what I meant by "women have a fundamental liberty right at stake in the abortion issue”.
    Your question was: “Now, remind me, how exactly would I ‘compromise my values’ were I to agree to a compromise on abortion restrictions?” It appears you value “liberty”. Assuming you are Pro-Choice, would not agreeing to restrictions on abortion restrict “liberty”?

As far as "my point" with regard to compromise is concerned...
    I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. I meant to say that the point that I wasn’t getting was the one about “doubt”, “belief”, “certainty”, and “self-righteousness”.

Let's try a hypothetical: some millions of American Catholics pay taxes in spite of the fact that some of that money ends up buying abortions for poor people, and executing people in Texas. Are their values compromised? I can see where one could argue that they are, however, there's also a sense in which they're not, which is, they may remain completely commited to the proposition that life is sacred, that it begins at conception, etc., and continue to try to move society in the direction of behaving in accordance with those propositions. If they do that, are their values nonetheless "compromised"?

To put it another way, are their values compromised because they're not universally accepted and implemented? If so, what do they do about it? Not pay their taxes? Move? How would one "not compromise one's values" and live in a plural society?
    We need to be careful that we don’t equivocate on the term “compromise”. Their values may be compromised, however, forcing someone to choose between the lesser of two evils (i.e. either pay taxes that may go to fund abortion or go to jail) is not my idea of what it means to compromise.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Only a matter of time?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=722391
    "The active-duty Army missed its April recruiting goal and was 10 percent behind its year-to-date target, officials said. An internal forecast indicated the active-duty Army and part-time Army Reserve and Army National Guard also will miss their May goals
    The Iraq war marks the first test of the all-volunteer military in a protracted wartime environment. Some defense analysts have argued the United States may be forced to consider reviving the draft, abolished in 1973, if the military cannot attract sufficient numbers of volunteers. "

So what might happen?
    A- reinstate the draft
    B- cut back on military action around the world
    C- increase pay and benefits to attract recruits, which would increase taxes

Conservative republicans won't be happy with any of those choices.
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information