Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Libs, When does that Draft start again?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    (Yes, I am morally superior to all of you, in case you're wondering.;) )

Nice!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    There is no name calling anywhere in that post unless you think ladies and gentlemen are name calling in your particular case. Facts in evidence have been your strong suite.
    Rep
    Do you read what you type?

The bunch of scum filing the lawsuit are claiming that the Pentagon and the President do not have the authority because congress did not declare war. ( they didn't declare war in Bosnia or Kosovo either)

Awaiting for you to eat your words again..............................
    Post #18
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No you're not, I am!;)

We'll never ALL agree. Compromise is one solution, but too few citizens are willing to compromise.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A positive direction on this contentious section of Optiboard (unless posters here enjoy the negative attacks masquerading as "intellectual discussion") would be to discuss what the USA should be.
    Would this be an intellectual discussion masquerading as a negative attack or a negative attack masquerading as intellectual discussion or the rarified and elusive positive discussion?;)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    From CNN.com this morning:

Army expects to miss recruiting goals again
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/23/arm....ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army expects to miss its recruiting goals again this month and next, Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey said Wednesday, and it is developing a new sales pitch that appeals to the patriotism of parents who have been reluctant to steer their children toward the Army.[see link for full article]

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shanebaum:

The British have a saying: "My country right or wrong, my country." No I couldn't support a holocast, and I would have had a hell of a time supporting Lyndon's war. But I would have followed most of the stupid no win orders given had I been in service at that time.

Should my country ever become anything resembling those places where I need government approval to move, marry, worship, and many other freedoms we enjoy, I will be the first on the hill for the revolution, yes armed revolution.

Chip

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

pardon the vernacular

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Shanebaum:

The British have a saying: "My country right or wrong, my country." No I couldn't support a holocast, and I would have had a hell of a time supporting Lyndon's war. But I would have followed most of the stupid no win orders given had I been in service at that time.

Should my country ever become anything resembling those places where I need government approval to move, marry, worship, and many other freedoms we enjoy, I will be the first on the hill for the revolution, yes armed revolution.

Chip
    That's good, Chip. It seems that you see "supporting your country" as something more than merely supporting the policies of whatever s.o.b. manages to git hisself elected.

I do believe there's hope for you yet, ol' son.

Occupation
    Ditto Chip!

I'd be willing to bet that when push came to shove, all those opposing blind allegiance would be in line with us to protect their way of life they have become accustomed to. Especially the part where they can speak their opinion without fear of retaliation. Otherwise, if this was such a bad country to live in, they would have concentrated their efforts to move somewhere else.

Draft or No draft, Stoploss or whatever you want to call it, if you are not willing to step up to the plate, then you are part of the problem.

To me its a gut instinct,no different than protecting my children, my home, my life.

Occupation
    This has been a fun thread to follow. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Should my country ever become anything resembling those places where I need government approval to move, marry,
    Even someone of the same gender? - never mind

worship, and many other freedoms we enjoy, I will be the first on the hill for the revolution, yes armed revolution.

Chip
    That's illegal these days, Chip.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation

please, don't say "ditto"...

Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim
    Ditto Chip!

I'd be willing to bet that when push came to shove, all those opposing blind allegiance would be in line with us to protect their way of life they have become accustomed to. Especially the part where they can speak their opinion without fear of retaliation. Otherwise, if this was such a bad country to live in, they would have concentrated their efforts to move somewhere else.

Draft or No draft, Stoploss or whatever you want to call it, if you are not willing to step up to the plate, then you are part of the problem.

To me its a gut instinct,no different than protecting my children, my home, my life.
    "Blind allegiance" and "protecting one's way of life" are two utterly different things.

Are you actually advocating "blind allegiance"?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    "Blind allegiance" and "protecting one's way of life" are two utterly different things.

Are you actually advocating "blind allegiance"?

2 different things? Maybe in your eyes. Why do you insist on getting me to say I advocate blind allegience? To whom? My country? My family? Myself? I am sure that in every instance my answer will not vary. So maybe I will pose a question to you that will end this. Under what circimstances are you willing to give your life for your country? Are there any? I assume you consider your country the United States of America. Don't ask if I am questioning your patriotism. I get the impression that youthink that "blind allegiance" to any cause is futile. Does blind allegiance to a religion count?

So to answer your 2nd question, I am advocating "blind allegiance". But you didn't ask specifically to what. So here:

My country=Yes
    My Family, Myself=No doubt, YES, YES, YES, YES!
    My job=Yes, (but don't ask me on bad days:) )

Occupation

I am sorry...............

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Do you read what you type?

Post #18
    Facts in evidence have NEVER been your strong suite.

Is that better.

Exactly when did you joint the military sign a contract and then file a lawsuit while you were serving in a war. Yes, I believe they are scum as do most in the military.

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Facts in evidence have NEVER been your strong suite.

Is that better.

Exactly when did you joint the military sign a contract and then file a lawsuit while you were serving in a war. Yes, I believe they are scum as do most in the military.

Rep
    I'll help you with your comprehension - again:
    post #21
    Thank you for showing your true, hate-filled name-calling self again, rep.
    Notice: I didn't say you called ME a name.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many problems are starting to happen. My brother in law who left the Air Force after 15 years converted to the Air Guards in 1995. He went to active status with the military December 2002. He went to Iraq (2 times) and then was deployed to Ubekistan. As of February 28th they were finally decommisioned. He came State side for several months between tours but remained at a base out of state. His company did not hold his job because of the exorbinant amount of time that he was deployed. This is awful for these men and women returning. I thought this was an exception but heard today that this is a real problem because the person is in the Guards and not the regular forces have active duty limitations to hold their positions.

We live near many military Guard Units that have been called to serve many places all over the world in the past several years. The only way you are truly covered or have a prayer seems to be if you have remained in the active military. Congress apparently voted down bills this week that effects the Guard Members who are returning. Their jobs are not being held because they have been active over the alloted time established years ago.

It is disappointing to think that we place more energy in interfering with the case of Tery Schiavo.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would like to preface my comments with the disclaimer that it is not I who have introduced a discussion of religion into this thread. With that said…

Chip, I'm on your side, here.

Let me help you clarify: Your values are more important than your life.)
    Isn’t that like saying, “Gasoline is more important than an engine”?

You will be true to your values. You are assuming that the USA will hold to the values you believe it has, and you will support the country as long as it does. If the USA's values contradict yours, you will rightfully dissent, as do those that are dissenting here.

I doubt anyone will win an argument with you if you discuss the values you believe in. But everyone wants to argue whether the USA is living up to the values they believe it should have. The problem is that we have, I believe, radically diverging value systems in our modern culture. There are conservatives, liberals, traditionally religious people (my group), secular humanists, new-agers, ad nauseum.

The discussion should always center on which values America stands for, and how to stay true to them.

To blandly reduce this to pop-business, we need to be discussing the mission statement, and not the to-do list.

A positive direction on this contentious section of Optiboard (unless posters here enjoy the negative attacks masquerading as "intellectual discussion") would be to discuss what the USA should be.

The major problem I see is that without agreement on values, the work of the nation may grind to a slow halt. A two-headed monster is bad enough, but we are starting to look like the mythical hydra.

The Republican party umbrella may not be as fracturous as the the Democratic, but it's starting to happen.

Truth be known, this country had a certain Judeo-Christian homogeneity about it during its first two hundred years; a homogeneity that lent itself to common cause. We are in new territory these days.

To be efficient, we all have to agree on a certain set of values (and not necessarily mine, of course).

We also have to have "rules of the game": what type of discourse we should have, and the mechanics of how we go about the discourse. Ideas should be fought for with an appeal to our best behavior, and not with name-calling, slandering, and political cliche.

We also have to be VERY careful that we protect the rights of those in the minority status (true minority status), since we may someday find ourselves in that group. We should not ask those people to do what we wouldn't do.

History has shown that this country can come apart, when it's geographically obvious to do so. It is more difficult to separate the major metropolitan areas of the US from the rest, but the country could suffer, nonetheless. History has also shown people willing to emigrate to find a home that is not antithetical to their beliefs. That option is not currently as available.

In other words: "The United States progressed during its first two hundred years because it had a certain Judeo-Christian homogeneity that lent itself to a common cause. That progression has stagnated in modern times because of a radically diverging value system. The United States would continue to progress if the citizens again could agree on a certain set of values, not necessarily traditional Judeo-Christian values."

I think there is no doubt that an objective review of US history would show that our past was NOT all Yankee Doodle Dandy. More debatable is the view that the United States has made at least as many steps forward in modern times as it has backwards. With that said, if one is to imply that the values of a Judeo-Christian homogeneity should receive the credit for the successes the US enjoyed during its first two hundred years, then it is only fair that those values should also take the blame for the failures. Similarly, if the “radically diverging value systems in our modern culture” are to take the blame for any failures in modern times, then it is only fair that they take credit for whatever successes there are, too.

Still, the point is not lost on me that if we can all agree on a certain set of values, much will get done. I would add that that does not necessitate that the right things will get done, though. Therein lies the rub.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We'll never ALL agree. Compromise is one solution, but too few citizens are willing to compromise.
    I think it’s less a matter of being willing to compromise and more that of being able to compromise. I think drk is absolutely correct in stating that the root cause of the divisiveness in the US and the world stems from differences in values. Unfortunately, values are generally not something that we are able to compromise… otherwise they wouldn’t be values. As someone who does not believe in moral relativism (contrary to what may have been implied by others in a previous thread!), I think the best we can do is attempt to persuade others why they should value what we value.

Occupation
    I think we have more values in common than we think. Unfortunately we live in a time when both the media and the political class work to divide rather than unite. The underlying assumption of course being that we are stupid, easily led/amused, and react to demagoguery. The problem is that assumption at times seems pretty much on target: prime example, Bush pushing private accounts to "save" Social Security from impending financial woes (it won't); democrats out of hand rejecting private accounts as the end of SS (they're not). The actual discussion of this issue would require an attention span of more than the time between commercials I guess, so the two parties fall back on what they are good at--one bending the truth, the other scaring folks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    I think it’s less a matter of being willing to compromise and more that of being able to compromise. I think drk is absolutely correct in stating that the root cause of the divisiveness in the US and the world stems from differences in values. Unfortunately, values are generally not something that we are able to compromise… otherwise they wouldn’t be values. As someone who does not believe in moral relativism (contrary to what may have been implied by others in a previous thread!), I think the best we can do is attempt to persuade others why they should value what we value.
    Maybe they don't know how. Look at firearms as an example. Conservatives believe there should be absolutely no restrictions concerning firearms, and cite sporting activities as a major reason to ensure that guns are easily available. Liberals see many people shot to death and want to reduce deaths by firearms. Middle ground would be to restrict hand guns, as they are used in killing more than rifles and would have a greater impact on murder rates, and continue the less restricted availability of rifles and shotguns. But that is not acceptable to conservatives. Why is that?
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Maybe they don't know how. Look at firearms as an example. Conservatives believe there should be absolutely no restrictions concerning firearms, and cite sporting activities as a major reason to ensure that guns are easily available. Liberals see many people shot to death and want to reduce deaths by firearms. Middle ground would be to restrict hand guns, as they are used in killing more than rifles and would have a greater impact on murder rates, and continue the less restricted availability of rifles and shotguns. But that is not acceptable to conservatives. Why is that?
    Probably for the same reasons that many liberals don’t want to “compromise” on abortion… “give an inch, take a mile”. The logic generally works like this: If abortion is not OK in the third trimester, then maybe it’s not OK in the second trimester either. And if it’s not OK in the second trimester, then maybe it’s not OK in the first trimester. Similarly: If it’s OK to restrict the possession of handguns, then maybe it’s OK to prohibit the possession of handguns. If it’s OK to prohibit the possession of handguns, then maybe it’s OK to prohibit the possession of rifles and shotguns, too.

How do you expect anyone to “know how” to compromise on the issue of capital punishment? Now that juveniles cannot be executed, are you “OK” with capital punishment? And what sort of compromise should be reached with Terri Schiavo? Is the country so divided on the issue because we just don't know how to compromise?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim
    2 different things? Maybe in your eyes.
    Those are the ones I use, mostly. However, in this case, I think I will place the burden on you to provide some argument - as opposed to making a simple declaration - that "blind allegiance" can somehow facilitate "protecting one's way of life"; and that it is furthermore the only way that one can do so (because if it's not, then "blind allegiance" and "protecting one's way of life" are two different things).

Even now, I do things I believe will help to protect my way of life, but there is almost nothing in this world to which I am blindly allied. If my wife and/or children were to join the Bader-Meinhof gang and start killing innocents, they would probably lose my "allegiance".

Why do you insist on getting me to say I advocate blind allegience?
    Why do you ask, if it's so easy for you to say it?

I don't think that blind allegiance is "futile". In fact, I think it can be quite useful to advocates of ideologies that cannot justify themselves through reason, compassion or some other virtue. Consider the bin Ladens, the Saddams, the Hitlers, the Stalins (one could obviously go on ad infinitum) - blind allegiance certainly facilitated their accessions to, and holds on, power.

In any case, the reason I'm interested in your actually saying it is simply that I had hoped that here at the beginning of the 21st century, mankind would have moved beyond this kind of thinking. I continue to hold on to the hope that perhaps you are simply not using the term carefully - that, like Chip, your allegiance is really to values (like "family", and "freedom") as opposed to "America" (as in, "if the president thinks we ought to invade Mexico, hot damn, let's go git 'em").

And blind allegiance to one's job strikes me, frankly, as slightly psychotic. I would hope that if your employer asked you to do something illegal, you'd blow the whistle on him in a hearbeat. Just as it does for the bad guys on the international stage - blind allegiance to one's employer would be useful primarily to employers interested in doing something wicked.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    If my wife and/or children were to join the Bader-Meinhof gang and start killing innocents, they would probably lose my "allegiance".

Not to mention be your big chance for a guest shot on Dr Phil!!!;) ("So Mr Shanbaum, do you think your family was sending you any signals prior to taking up a life of shocking crime?" Shut the hell up Phil, ya big buffoon!!!)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    Not to mention be your big chance for a guest shot on Dr Phil!!!;) ("So Mr Shanbaum, do you think your family was sending you any signals prior to taking up a life of shocking crime?" Shut the hell up Phil, ya big buffoon!!!)

"No, Phil, and that's working for me."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    How do you expect anyone to “know how” to compromise on the issue of capital punishment? Now that juveniles cannot be executed, are you “OK” with capital punishment?
    Is the country so divided on the issue because we just don't know how to compromise?
    The compromise on capital punishment would be to have guidelines for when a criminal will be executed. Let's say that there is a set of guidelines that says capital punishment will happen more often than never (as some would like), but not for every violent crime (as some would like). Both sides will be less than satisfied, but will get some of what they want. That's what compromise is about, IMHO: giving AND getting. Abortion laws, currently, are, in fact, a compromise. And the compromise is being eaten away, as you pointed out.
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Conservatives don't want restrictions on handguns because they are a near ultimate defence. As Sam Colt used to engrave on all handgun barrels: "Be there a man, no matter what his size, I will equalize."

When the chips are down and you don't have time to wait for "proper law enforcement authoroties, there is a lot to be said for a 38. The smallest frailest woman becomes the equal of the largest toughest man.

Chip

Now if you could find a way to keep handguns out of the hands of fools only, I'll vote for it.

Chip

Thread Information