Thread: decisions on buying an edger?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

decisions on buying an edger?

Hello all,

I have a fairly new office (6 months old) . I'm contemplating about purchasing an all purpose edger, able to do groove and possible drill mount? I do not have alot of knowledge about edgers at all since we always send out jobs to a local lab. Currently we are only doing about 4 to 5 jobs a day and our edging bill is around 500 to 600 dollars (edging fee only, not the lens).

Is it worth while to get an edger at this time? or should I wait for our business to pick up a little more? And what type of edgers would u guys suggest and price range that I should expected. I need a somewhat compact machine since our office doesn't have that much room.

Thank you all for answering.

snv

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We have the Essilor Delta (without grooving), but are looking into getting a new one with grooving. Would would take a look at the Delta, due to its price. I would strongly suggest leasing. The reason is that new edgers are always coming out and your business needs to stay up-to-date with technology. Too many people have troubles processing things like poly and trivex with older machines and too many people do not replace their old machines until they fall apart.

Now, if you are spending $600 a month on edging fees and you multiply that by 12 months and five years it is only $36,000, so you might want to hold off until you pass somewhere like $60,000 ($1,000 a month).

When looking for a machine I would suggest talking to your lab and lens manufacturers. A lot of them have plans that if you buy certain lenses they will credit your total.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snv
    Hello all,

I have a fairly new office (6 months old) . I'm contemplating about purchasing an all purpose edger, able to do groove and possible drill mount?
    snv
    Unless you have glazing experience I would not let reps convince you that buying their machines will turn you into a rimless glazer.

Rick

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would examine how many of your edged jobs are also finished (meaning tinted, uv,drilled,edge coated, etc) Will it make sense to invest in that equipment as well? and do you have the space for say a tint machine too? otherwise you may be looking at finishing a lens but sending it back to your lab for tint or UV. As a lab rep I see many, many returns from customers who are not versed in bench work, drill mounts in particular. For what it costs the practice in remakes they would be better off letting the lab complete the entire process.
    Quality bench work takes skill, time, patience and focus. If you are able to devote that to bench work, consult your current lab and let them give you advice on machines that they have success with, most companies make both commercial and private equipment. Shop around, and consider negotiating with your lab for a volume price if your practice continues to grow.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I agree with spexer and rick

If you do not have edging and bench experience it becomes a question of how much you want to pay to get that experience and would your time be better used in other practice develoment endevors.

I have always had and edger and do all my own drill-mounts but that is my history as well. I can't imagine running a retail optical facility without edging capabilities.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    75% of our jobs are single vision with basic AR coating or basic poly lens which we can get stock lens for, and we can basically get most stock lens to the office in one business day. We do have a tint tank and UV inhouse right now. According to you all, I should wait til I the business pick up a little more.

BTW, what is the normal lease cost for an edger??

thanks

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree with previous posts to stay away from doing the the drilled frames yourself, besides those machines are over $40,000. Getting an edger doesn't mean you have to do everything in house, get a cheaper edger and just do the easier jobs.

I have the Briot Accura that grooves, about $730 per month on 4 year lease. Initial quote was about $660 per month but there are the extra charges for monthly insurance and sales tax. There are also many sources of used machines for less.

Do you think you lose some business because you can't do same day edging?

I find we probably get an extra 2 jobs per week because we offer same day service. It also keeps down accounts receivable, they pay right away instead of give a deposit then never come back. Bottom line is that we have profit from about 8 extra pair per month because of the edger.

Edging in house allows you inexpensively offer a BOGO special. Free pair can be inexpensive closeouts with inexpensive SV lenses. And if your office is newer and less busy, labor isn't an issue if you have time to spare.

Harry
    Last edited by harry888; 03-14-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

buying edger

I agree with the rest wait till you get more business in the door.When you get the business though you may want to look at either a Horizon 7E or a Briot Axcell-D both groove and drill. The cost you would look at though is between 25,000 - 40,000 not sure about lease numbers but both companies do offer lease options.Hope this helps with any desision you may make.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

my two cents

With as few job as your doing, I dont think you should go wild and buy a 60-80k edging system. That being said, I think it would be a smart move to buy a GOOD pre owned edger. You can pick up a quality patterned edger 2-5k. For that kind of change it would be a money maker in just a few months. Then you can go for the gusto with the savings when your patient flow improves. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
    Paul:cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    thank you all for your inputs. yall have been a great help.

Thread Information