Thread: Importing lenses

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Importing lenses

After seeing a few threads on here from companies offering lenses I would be interested to hear from anybody who does this.
    I got a price list from a company in Indonesia and the prices are competetive but wondered what sort of success rate this sort of scheme usually has.

We use around 200 stock (cr39 1.5) lenses per day, anyone think it would be viable to get these shipped in?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Last edited by rsandr; 03-04-2005 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo corrected

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    After seeing a few threads on here from companies offering lenses I would be interested to hear from anybody who does this.
    I got a price list from a company in Indonesia and the prices are competetive but wondered what sort of success rate this sort of scheme usually has

We use around 200 stock (cr39 1.5) lenses per day, anyone think it would be viable to get these shipped in?

Hi Rick,

I would be one of those companies you mention. Previously I was an OD with multiple locations. Early on I knew that importing eyewear and lenses made financial sense. I started with trips to Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China looking for the right product. It was not an easy path but in the end, I am now living in China and part of a successful lens company.

I can only tell you costs for shipping to the US but I am sure the shipping rates are similar to the UK. Typically sea freight costs 0.10 to 0.15USD per pair. Duty is 2.2% for plastic ophthalmic lenses. Sea shipping typically takes 28 days to the east coast. Once in port you will incur port charges, broker fees, etc, bringing all the charges upto ~ 0.20 to 0.25USD per pair. Air freight costs approximately 0.50-0.60USD per pair and usually incurs all fees except duty. Obviously more expensive product (I would lump all AR coated product into more expensive for illustration purposes) is best to ship by air. This keeps your inventory level at a workable level and you can time shipments weekly, bi monthly, etc.

Aside from economic benefit, you will also be able to have access to other products and services. If you find a company whose prices, product and services meet your needs you will find they will become invaluable to your business. Ask questions from your seller. If you are comfortable with their reply, the timeliness to their answers, quality of their samples and pricing...start with their minimum required order. Grow the relationship as your confidence grows.

Yes there are a number of us Asian based lens companies posting on here. I would suggest to give it a try. Once you start the importing process you will become more comfortable over time and come to realize that it was the right business decision.

Best of luck,
    Doc

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    Yes there are a number of us Asian based lens companies posting on here. I would suggest to give it a try. Once you start the importing process you will become more comfortable over time and come to realize that it was the right business decision.

Best of luck,
    Doc
    Thanks Doc.

The other thing is that all products here need to carry the CE mark and have to comply with European regs. Is it likely that most companies (or indeed yours) will have made the necessary provisions?

Thanks,
    Rick

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Thanks Doc.

The other thing is that all products here need to carry the CE mark and have to comply with European regs. Is it likely that most companies (or indeed yours) will have made the necessary provisions?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Hi Rick,

I cannot speak for all companies about their compliance to European or North American regulations. In my early years as an importer, I found out the hard way that many companies did not sell lenses that met the necessary compliance. All of our product meets the necessary complaince.

Just an aside, for you and others new to bulk ordering: I would ask the manufacturer you are working with for their recommendation of an ideal inventory. If you order 5 pair/ 10 pair, etc across the board you will likely fall short in the important powers. Also, some companies have a very fast turnaround time. This translates to....they carry an inventory. I know this sounds appealing to many people. If speed is your only requirement then thats great news for you. However, ophthalmic lenses do age and inventory does not mature at the same rate. My company manufactures once the order is received. Turnaround times can vary depending upon the size of the order. Make sure you anticipate your physical inventory needs and also make sure your manufacturer alerts you to upcoming national holidays that could impact your orders. I personally give a countdown to my customers 2 months prior to a holiday in China that could affect their business.

This is Doc in China..saying good night.

Thread Information