Thread: Prescription Sunglasses for Children

OptiBoard Apprentice

Prescription Sunglasses for Children

I am interested in getting a pair of prescription sunglasses for my son. He will be 3 years old this summer and loves the water-side and the outdoors. I would like to get him something along the lines of Rec Specs Maxx 20’s by Liberty Optical. However, he may not be big enough for their smallest pair.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for “non-metal” framed prescription sunglasses for children. The only reason I asked for non-metal was to avoid the metal heating up in the summer sun. If this is not a problem, please advise.

His prescription is +5.25 and +6.50. His current glasses are size 43mm/19mm/120 (Flexon 90's).

Thanks,

Informed Consumer and Parent

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would stick with something like he has now. Heat makes a plastic frame more pliable, so it is more likely to get out of shape. The also tend to fit more closely to the head/eyes, so are hotter for the wearer. The most important thing is to clean them frequently - get the salt water, chlorine, or perspiration off of them soon after wearing. And make sure they are polycarbonate lenses!
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The Oakley Half-Pint or the FIVE xs are great kids sunglass. Oakley does do RX lenses but not in the power you provided, but I don't think a lab would have to much problem put lenses in. I don't normally recommend Poly lenses but since this is a child and Poly is UV protected through and through I would go with Spexvets recommendation, if money is no object Polarized Poly lenses are a nice option too.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey, I have a 3-year-old, too.

Your optician did a good job recommending the Flexon frame for his dress Rx. We stock the Maxx, as well, but it's too big, like you said.

Flexon frames in metal are good for sunglasses, especially with cable temples. Don't worry about the sun heating the metal. This should be good for almost all play, unless your guy has big brothers and plays very rough.

Liberty does make a "Matrix" sport goggle size 46 that would probably fit and would be good for his "contact sport" times, if he's involved in soccer, or T-ball at this young age, or if he's really rough. You could do that in sun or even Transitions lenses that lighten and darken. They may be too bulky, though, to use as general purpose sunglasses.

For water slides, he could either go with glasses off, (which I think is the better option), or you could even get small Rx-able swim goggles, if he likes water so much. Liberty makes a cute one of those, too, called "Sting Ray".

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We fit children and infants quite a bit. I would'n worry about the frame heating up. If it gets that hot out side that is the least of your worries. You can get a duplicate pair of what he has now and put either tinted trivex or polorized polycarbonate lenses in them. And ask for cable temples they will help keep the glasses on.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When my little guy was 3, (+2.50 ou) hw had the flexon 90 and 84. He's 7 now and likes the small Nike Flexon for his polar suns because they are easy to take on and off with a skateboard/bike helmet on. I agree with the others that metal's the way to go with kids.

I also agree with DRK. The hyperope (farsighted) side of the family keeps their glasses wrapped up in the beach towel. There's not much to see going 30mph down a water slide!:bbg:

Thread Information