Thread: Did you notice?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Did you notice?

Did you notice that we had a larger number of consumers posting on the board? may be we should have a separate forum for that? Public forum? This way we may be able to discuss wholesale a little better? Just a thought!?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I second that! Steve, how hard would that be to do?
    Paul:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Second.......................

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY
    Did you notice that we had a larger number of consumers posting on the board? may be we should have a separate forum for that? Public forum? This way we may be able to discuss wholesale a little better? Just a thought!?
    I second..........

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Maybe even set up some rules on how to answer questions too.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To quote from the posting guidelines.....

For LENNY, ziggy, and Chris...

"Optiboard is a public discussion forum. We are composed of eyecare professionals and the consuming public. In this regard, it is inappropriate to publish wholesale prices, or other propriatary information which might compromise the relationship between professionals and consumers. If you have questions of this nature, or information to provide, please use the Private Message system to ask the question or to diseminate the information. Posts containing pricing information deemed inappropriate, will be removed."

It would be impractical to try to separate the eyecare professionals from the consuming public. There is no way to separate who's who. We don't necessarily HAVE to be who we say we are if you get the drift. This is a public forum designed for eyecare professionals but open to anyone who cares to register. For the most part, consumers usually identify themselves as such, and have proved to be active and contributing members of Optiboard.The moderators are here to see that posts concerning " the wholesale" aspect of our business are within the guidelines, and we encourage all members to contact us if they perceive a problem. I understand where you are coming from in the above posts but I think its working well as it is.

I can't speak for Steve but I am reasonably sure he would agree with what I said.

This post is in no way meant to discourage suggestions for Optiboard improvement.To the contrary, you all contribute a lot and Optiboard is better for it.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It would also be quite difficult and restrictive to validate the professional credentials of a person registering on this board as a member of the eye care business.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suggested this to Steve - To have a forum titled something like "questions from non-professionals" or "consumer questions", just to make it easier for "visitors" to know which forum to use for their questions. He said that the idea had been suggested before, and he had polled the idea and it was voted down.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree completely. It's getting old looking through all the posts from consumers. I've actually been stopping by less now because it seems like there are more stupid little consumer posts than the posts that caught my attention and made me join. I would like to be able to post items and discuss things amongst other eyecare professionals without knowing that there are more consumers looking on than professionals.
    Last edited by culland; 02-09-2005 at 11:22 AM.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Stupid consumers are probably reading this right now

Quote Originally Posted by culland
    I agree completely. It's getting old looking throughallthe posts from consumers. I've actually been stopping by less nowbecause it seems like there are more stupid little consumer posts thanthe posts that caught my attention and made me join. I would like tobeable to post items and discuss things amongst othereyecareprofessionals without knowing that there are more consumerslooking onthan professionals.
    Do you feel the same way when those stupid little consumers come intoyour office? You know, the same questions over and over again, "whatlenses should I get", "what frame looks good on me", yeah gets prettyold, oh wait that our JOB. You don't have to respond you don't evenhave to read the posts, but don't discourage people from askingquestions.
    I really like the attitudes of most members on Optiboard unlikeother forums I belong to. When a question is asked, even if it's beenasked a million times before someone will answer it, instead of thedefault reponse on most forums, "use the search button stupid". Some ofthe most valuable experience we can gain is by dealing with consumers,whether it is face to face or online. I welcome and even referconsumers to this board because the knowledge base is so great anddiverse and questions will be answer. I don't see a reason for thisboard to change.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JEDI!!

I am 100% agree with you but could it be SEPARATE?
    Or could we have a small forum for professional only where we can post $$$$$!?
    I think it will be a valuable source!
    Maybe we can even find sponsors for just that!?

Chris?

BTW $5 Paypal fee sounds good for an advice from 10 professionals!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I like the idea that Spexvet proposed, an additional forum for consumerquestions, but I don't think a restricted access forum would or shouldfly. As far a wholesale dealings, I think that can be best accomplishedvia private messages. Great thread Lenny.

A side note, I believe the reason we are seeing more consumers postingis because more of the search engines are pointing them in thisdirection, Steve has done a great job making this forum accessableandvisible to professionals and consumers.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This place is described as 'The Premier Online Community for Eyecare Professionals'.

The questions from consumers I think should at least be housed in a separate forum.

Rick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I've posted this suggestion in the Moderators forum.....

and we'll kick the idea around and see what can be done. In the meantime, why don't you folks do some polling on your own. Who wants a consumer forum, what to call it, how to monitor it and keep it from getting stale.

We'll get back to you when we have something. Till then see what you can come up with.
    Thanks hj
    Lord Byron

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do not see the problem with consumers as much as the advice given. For instance when a consumer asks for the best PAL they get 20 different answers. I think the debates on the best PAL should be between us, but not placed on top of the consumer. I think instead if we could find some generic way to answer that question or even if we are more general with our responses. An example is we can add a few PAL's together like Panamic, SolaOne, and Gradal Top.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Jedi. I have no problem with consumers asking questions about products. This is my job. What bothers is these consumers coming on to the internet and asking medical questions about conditions. This is not the place. I have seen this too many times where patients come in with terrible infections and problems and said that they read on the internet that... We should not offer up any advise on these topics. This is all that I meant in my original post. It would also be nice to have a place for the professionals to discuss items that consumers wouldn't be allowed to see.
    Last edited by culland; 02-09-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    culland, with all due respect, thats one of the ways the private messaging system can be used. You can contact as many as 5 respondents with PM. RE: Medical advice,
    our policy is quite clear. We don't allow it and cut it off as soon as we either see it or is brought to our attention.

I can say that initially, the moderators see little need for change in our present forum. If the desire is still there for a private forum, contact Steve to arrange a private forum into which you may invite whomever you want, out of the visiblity of the board at large. There will be a fee charged for this but you'll have to check with Steve for details.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by culland
    Jedi. I have no problem with consumers asking questions about products. This is my job. What bothers is these consumers coming on to the internet and asking medical questions about conditions. This is not the place. I have seen this too many times where patients come in with terrible infections and problems and said that they read on the internet that... We should not offer up any advise on these topics. This is all that I meant in my original post. It would also be nice to have a place for the professionals to discuss items that consumers wouldn't be allowed to see.
    Thanks for clearing that up, I took your post as a response to consumer questions not medical questions. I completely agree that medical advice has no place on a forum like this.

Thread Information